• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

technology, phone batteries and e-tickets discussion.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I think the easiest option, as I stated, is to provide the ability to convert an electronic ticket into a printed one on demand at railway stations.
This avoids this whole mess without opening any significant new routes for abuse - because anyone with a printer can already do this if they want.

It doesn't need any major new investment in an all-encompassing ticket monitoring infrastructure.,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Another thing I do, if travelling on a long journey, e.g. a holiday abroad, I upload all the pdfs of tickets into my cloud storagte. These can then be accessed from any web browser on any device, so if the worst happens I can still access my tickets.
Same here. I also set the PDF files to “Make available offline” before using them so that even with no mobile connection I can still access them.

Mikw

What should happen if you lose or have a paper ticket stolen?

Last year I had my wallet stolen on the Paris Metro. The wallet contained paper Eurostar/TGV tickets as well as credit cards, cash etc. Thankfully I was able to log into my Eurostar account on my phone and access etickets. My phone had my credit card stored in the Apple Wallet.

What I learned from this incident is that there is a level of risk involved whatever medium you choose to store your ticket on. If I'm making a long journey (whether rail or air) or attending an event I prefer to use an eticket which I'll normally display on my phone but I'll make sure I have either a paper back-up printed, or the eticket accessible through my work mobile mobile or partners phone.
I would have thought, that in this day and age, there must be a record somewhere of you actually buying a ticket, certainly an advance one at the very least.
Of course, this would be ignored under our system, in favour of a punitive fine.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would have thought, that in this day and age, there must be a record somewhere of you actually buying a ticket, certainly an advance one at the very least.
Of course, this would be ignored under our system, in favour of a punitive fine.

To me, the ideal end position of e-ticketing is that the ticket is a record in a database so you can present it how you wish - on your phone, printed out, or go to a TVM or booking office and provide some basic information about it (name, to/from and date should do) to gain a reprint.