• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Templecombe Station - New Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chafford1

Does anyone have more details of the new platform which is being built at Templecombe on the Salisbury - Exeter route.

Will this involve redoubling of the track through the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Does anyone have more details of the new platform which is being built at Templecombe on the Salisbury - Exeter route.

Will this involve redoubling of the track through the station?

I never knew this was happening! I would have thought an extra platform would imply double tracking, very rarely do two platforms get built for just one running line ;)

Do you have a source that has any details about this scheme?

starrymarkb

Established Member
I never knew this was happening! I would have thought an extra platform would imply double tracking, very rarely do two platforms get built for just one running line ;)

It would make sense to do it, currently the station is single track with double track starting just west of the station,

Chafford1

Excerpt from attached thread (page 2) from the 'Signal Box Forum':

'Regarding the WoE scheme it is TCB from Tisbury to Pinhoe, also TCB from Yeovil Jcn to Pen Mill. There will be a mix of axle counters and track circuits. There will be four CCTV crossings; Sherborne, Chard, Axminster and Feniton. Templecombe will get a new platform on the down side as there were issues here with disabled access. A new station called 'Cranbrook' is planned west of Crannaford AHB crossing. It is proposed the new WoE panel will be worked by two signalmen. The panel prefix will be 'SE'.'

http://www.signalbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2451&hilit=templecombe&start=15

Here's the current layout:

TEMPLECOMBE%20STATION%201993_jpg.jpg

TEMPLECOMBE%20STATION%20Ex%20L_%20S_%20W_%20&%20S_%20&%20D%20Jt_%20%201993%202%20_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It would make sense to do it, currently the station is single track with double track starting just west of the station,

Aye, I agree, however I always thought the sold-off land where the second platform currently sits was an obstacle.

Chafford1

Found this on the web - the relevant article is on page 1:

http://www.timlaw.supanet.com/tpcn114.pdf

Unless I'm mistaken, the new platform won't involve track redoubling :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
More info: the CCTV gate crossing which is operated from the signalbox and allow disabled access to the current platform will no longer operate when the signalbox is demolished, The down platform is therefore being extended out to the track to allow disabled access to trains.

Pity the 'box is going - a great design.

templecombesb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.