• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Temporary speed restriction notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verygoodyear

Hi all,

What notice would you be given about a TSR on the line? Would the signaller let you know if it was a immediate thing or, if it was planned, I assume it be announced to the drivers?

I ask because playing BVE you get random TSR in places, but with no warning I was going from 125 down to 40! By the time I'd slowed down I'd gone past the T board....

Many thanks!
Sam.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silv1983

For a TSR the driver will get warning in his or her weekly operating notices (a booklet published and distributed once a week regarding such things, but not limited to, TSRs). Should a driver, eh hem, not read his or her WON - then prior to the commencement of a TSR there is a warning board (basically same as a TSR commencement board with 2 white circles underneath). This is placed at a distance prior to the TSR deemed adequate for allowing the driver to slow down. This distance takes into account linespeed, gradient and type of traction operating over it. If a TSR is put up after the WON is published... it becomes an ESR... but thats another matter ;)

Hope this helps.

Oh forgot to mention - the warning boards have an AWS magnet attached.

Last edited:

Verygoodyear

Hi Sily - thanks for your reply, super interesting. That makes a lot of sense, and assume in a ESR there are emergency procedures to be followed anyway.

And very helpful about the warning board - it actually looks like you get these in BVE but I just thought they indicated the start of the TSR. Makes more sense - and my virtual passengers hopefully won't be spilling as much coffee!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Silv1983

Hi Sily - thanks for your reply, super interesting. That makes a lot of sense, and assume in a ESR there are emergency procedures to be followed anyway.

And very helpful about the warning board - it actually looks like you get these in BVE but I just thought they indicated the start of the TSR. Makes more sense - and my virtual passengers hopefully won't be spilling as much coffee!

Thanks again, much appreciated!

With an ESR there is an additional lineside warning in the form of an ESR warning board - often referred to as a Darlek. Its a yellow board with 2 black chevrons on which each have a flashing white LED embedded. It too has an AWS magnet attached to produce the warning horn. It's basically an additional alert to compensate for the absence of the warning a driver gets when flicking through their WON.

IF a speed restriction has to be imposed at really short notice... ie theres a train approaching a recently discovered track defect... and track workers havent had time to put up all the ESR/TSR warning equipment... then the signaller will caution down and stop a train prior to this and verbally warn and advise the driver that they must proceed at X speed between A and B.

TDK

Established Member
To add a maximum speed of 20mph is usually set if it is a late warning and the boards have not gone up for an ESR. You also get blanket ESR's when there is inclement weather conditions such as wind so for example the maximum speed over a whole area could be 50mph for instance. This is posted in the Late Notice Case normally and broadcast over either the NRN, CSR or GSM-R radios. There are also speed restrictions for rail heat and these once again have a different board.

If a TSR is removed before the published time the boards are replaced with SPATE (Speed previously advised terminated early) boards and these are a yellow background with a diagonal black line these remain in place normally until the next WON is published and all other equipment such as magnets and intermediate warning boards remain in place.

There is quite a bit more on the subject but you won't need this info for your computer game.

Verygoodyear

Thanks TDK. Yes, open bve is much simpler (thankfully, not sure I could learn it all!) but interesting stuff about the early termination. All the different systems and procedures are fascinating.

Mugby

Established Member
With an ESR there is an additional lineside warning in the form of an ESR warning board - often referred to as a Darlek. Its a yellow board with 2 black chevrons on which each have a flashing white LED embedded. It too has an AWS magnet attached to produce the warning horn. It's basically an additional alert to compensate for the absence of the warning a driver gets when flicking through their WON.

Known by many as 'Daleks' but they are commonly referred to on the P/Way as EROS Boards.
Emergency Restriction Of Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.