• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Temporary transfer of Turbostars from Chiltern to West Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Been past Tysleye today. 101, 102, 103 all lined up on the depot line nearest the main lines. Are they awaiting 104 and off on mass off lease?
I would be surprised if 172s went into storage until all the 170s have left WMT - they haven't yet have they - since more 172s at WMT presumably means WMT need fewer 170s? I could see them leaving WMT if Chiltern's passenger numbers have recovered from the pandemic and Chiltern want them back, but I wouldn't describe that as going 'off lease' as they would be on-lease to Chiltern and working there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I would be surprised if 172s went into storage until all the 170s have left WMT - they haven't yet have they - since more 172s at WMT presumably means WMT need fewer 170s? I could see them leaving WMT if Chiltern's passenger numbers have recovered from the pandemic and Chiltern want them back, but I wouldn't describe that as going 'off lease' as they would be on-lease to Chiltern and working there.
172101 were on a sub-lease from Chiltern to West Mids, but are now directly leased to West Mids. Chiltern cannot now call them back as there is no sub-lease involved.

Suraggu

Chiltern are working on a fleet plan for 2023 onwards which doesn't include any 172's. Or 68s and Mk.3s for that matter bit that's for a different topic.

CR165022

I could see them leaving WMT if Chiltern's passenger numbers have recovered from the pandemic and Chiltern want them back, but I wouldn't describe that as going 'off lease' as they would be on-lease to Chiltern and working there.
Chiltern have confirmed that they wont be having them back, in this case its probably just a coincidence that 3 /1s were not in use that day and were parked in a row

Liam L

Been past Tysleye today. 101, 102, 103 all lined up on the depot line nearest the main lines. Are they awaiting 104 and off on mass off lease?
Thank you, I couldn’t identity them myself. Not sure where 104 is currently, I last saw it on the Hereford services last week

43102EMR

Established Member
Considering 104’s not been accounted for and that the fleet is now on lease to WMR, maybe it’s gone for a refurb?

Liam L

Considering 104’s not been accounted for and that the fleet is now on lease to WMR, maybe it’s gone for a refurb?
I saw it last week, it was on the Hereford services. Nothing on RTT indicates anything has left for Ilford which is were the refurbishment would take place (going off the rest of the fleet)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
172101 were on a sub-lease from Chiltern to West Mids, but are now directly leased to West Mids. Chiltern cannot now call them back as there is no sub-lease involved.
There doesn't have to be a sub-lease though, if WMT's lease was ending and Chiltern had talked to the ROSCO first to secure a lease immediately after the WMT one ended - didn't it happen before with TPE's 170s being pinched by Southern or Chiltern?

Anyway, my point was I couldn't see the 172s spending any time off-lease at present and it seems others are in agreement...

On Moderation
There doesn't have to be a sub-lease though, if WMT's lease was ending and Chiltern had talked to the ROSCO first to secure a lease immediately after the WMT one ended - didn't it happen before with TPE's 170s being pinched by Southern or Chiltern?

Anyway, my point was I couldn't see the 172s spending any time off-lease at present and it seems others are in agreement...
I think you've missed the point: they've only just gone on lease to WMT.

railphotoghw

2 of the 172/1s are on Hereford services today, so definitely haven’t gone off lease. Not sure which ones though, didn’t see the numbers!

101 hasn't been out of traffic long, she was with 006 on Herefords on Tuesday. However she was attended to by fitters at New Street at 1300ish as the engine on the DMS vehicle wouldn't start.

brick60000

Might’ve missed this as confirmation rather than speculation further up the thread, but Angel Trains have confirmed a full interior refurb and various other mods on a linked in post.

Sprinter107

172103 has never been missing. It just hasn't been in service. It was sent to Doncaster for a few months, but now its back at Tyseley.

Nova1

172101+172104 out today running up and down the snow hill lines, next service for this train is 2K36 10:26 Stratford-upon-Avon to Kidderminster.

It is satisfying seeing the two chiltern units together although does make it a hard choice of where to sit…

greatvoyager

Established Member
Might’ve missed this as confirmation rather than speculation further up the thread, but Angel Trains have confirmed a full interior refurb and various other mods on a linked in post.
Are they going to be repainted or have vinyls applied?

Are they going to be repainted or have vinyls applied?
Not sure what you mean by this, class 80X are all vinyl wrapped from new, does not mean they are only temporary. Apparently there are quite a fee advantages and cost savings sith this method from what I indersrand form other forum posts.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Not sure what you mean by this, class 80X are all vinyl wrapped from new, does not mean they are only temporary. Apparently there are quite a fee advantages and cost savings sith this method from what I indersrand form other forum posts.
I think I asked the wrong question. What I wanted to know is if they are getting WMR livery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.