• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tender pickups on Grafar / Graham Farish "steam" locos

Justin Smith

I occasionally add to my collection of N gauge locos and have discovered that older locomotives tend to derail less on my 1970s (originally built) layout, thus I really need to be buying Grafar or older Graham Farish stuff.
The problem is I want good current pick up and for that one needs tender pick ups, i.e. not just the driving ones on the driving wheels. I know some Farish models had these as I have a Hall and a Black 5 with them on. However not all do apparently, I was interested in a Grafar A4 on E Bay but the seller said it did not have a wire from the tender to the loco (and therefore cannot have tender pick ups ?)*
How does one know which models have tender pick ups and which do not ? And if the loco does not can one get those tender pick up kits to fit all the models (the A4 has a 4 axle tender) and do they work well ?

* Unless the wire has broken off at both ends at some time and been for gotten about ! ? !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums