• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Is the aim of the TfL map to show the full extent of their services?

Or is it to help the citizens of London and its visitors, by showing the best connectivity of rail services, irrespective of ownership?.
The omission of the Northern City Line stations being a classic example. With Hackney and Islington being far more vibrant than they used to be, I'm sure the likes of Essex Road would get used more if better publicised to leisure travellers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
There are many questions, should the tube map only cover the central zones, should it only cover the tube, should it be a larger format?

I believe if these questions were asked, the answer, the way things are going would be, let’s just not bother producing a printed map at all. So maybe we should keep what we’ve got.

Personally, I’d redraw the map starting with Elizabeth and Thameslink as straight lines and remove the non core part of Thameslink. Possibly change it to a larger format, and the larger format would allow space for a big advert on the back which would help pay for it

AM9

Veteran Member
There are many questions, should the tube map only cover the central zones, should it only cover the tube, should it be a larger format?

I believe if these questions were asked, the answer, the way things are going would be, let’s just not bother producing a printed map at all. So maybe we should keep what we’ve got.

Personally, I’d redraw the map starting with Elizabeth and Thameslink as straight lines and remove the non core part of Thameslink. Possibly change it to a larger format, and the larger format would allow space for a big advert on the back which would help pay for it
And how much of the non-core part of the Lizzie would you leave on the map, and if it was different to Thameslink, why?

AM9

Veteran Member
Well TfL operate Lizzie for starters.
Which brings us back to the question, "what and who is the map for?"
To a visitor in London, both lines perform similar functions, can be used with Oyster, are available to through National Rail ticket holders, serve two of London's airports, connect to the major urban travel hubs, etc.. That's what a traveller sees when they look at the map whether it is on the wall of a station or in their pocket tourist's guide. Who runs the trains is irrelevant to them and TfL has an interest in presenting all London travel as a unified offering to visitors.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
As I’ve said the only bit of Thameslink that should be seen on the tube map is the core section from E&C/London Bridge to West Hampstead/Finsbury Park, everything else should be binned off the map as Thameslink isn’t a TfL service and is basically another system in its own right.

rebmcr

Established Member
Which brings us back to the question, "what and who is the map for?"
To a visitor in London, both lines perform similar functions, can be used with Oyster, are available to through National Rail ticket holders, serve two of London's airports, connect to the major urban travel hubs, etc.. That's what a traveller sees when they look at the map whether it is on the wall of a station or in their pocket tourist's guide. Who runs the trains is irrelevant to them and TfL has an interest in presenting all London travel as a unified offering to visitors.
If visitors to London would like to be represented in TfL's operations, they are free to vote for a national government who are willing to contribute some of the visitors' tax to TfL's budget.

It's the current policy at Number 10 and at the DfT which has been deliberately chosen to maximise TfL's revenue above all reasonable consideration.

stuu

Established Member
If visitors to London would like to be represented in TfL's operations, they are free to vote for a national government who are willing to contribute some of the visitors' tax to TfL's budget.
Is this a joke?

TfL gets money from every taxpayer in the country

SynthD

Is this a joke?

The direct subsidy ended. How much are the indirect subsidies, and which of them are assigned to non-rail areas of TfL?

AM9

Veteran Member
Is this a joke?

I don't think it's a joke, - it just seems that @rebmcr doesn't recognise that visitors to London are a major source of income to London (and as such to the UK). The Mayor spends a lot of his media access on promoting the capital - after all it is the UK's premier tourist location, and much of it's finance comes from those visitors. Only somebody who can't see that would even dream of making life more difficult for the goose that lays the golden eggs. :rolleyes:

stuu

Established Member
The direct subsidy ended. How much are the indirect subsidies, and which of them are assigned to non-rail areas of TfL?
Over £1bn per year in 2019, excluding capital investment. Obviously much, much more since then

It's pretty irrelevant to a traveller which particular bit of the state runs a service. And anyway, how much difference does it really make to TfL's revenue per year?

AM9

Veteran Member
Over £1bn per year in 2019, excluding capital investment. Obviously much, much more since then

It's pretty irrelevant to a traveller which particular bit of the state runs a service. And anyway, how much difference does it really make to TfL's revenue per year?
Precisely! There must be somebody in TfL's publicity department who has a pet hate for any rail operations in london that trespass on TfL's patch. Given some of the comments here, maybe they post on this forum.;)

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm surprised a walking connection between Paddington and Lancaster Gate isn't shown, as people will probably think they need to get to TCR to get onto the Elizabeth Line.

Though to the fair the TFL journey planner does show the walking connection as the quickest, which I guess is what most people will use anyway.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm surprised a walking connection between Paddington and Lancaster Gate isn't shown, as people will probably think they need to get to TCR to get onto the Elizabeth Line.

Though to the fair the TFL journey planner does show the walking connection as the quickest, which I guess is what most people will use anyway.
Although there is currently not an OSI - this is however due to be implemented in the next fares round in June.

ubayd1847

why does google maps still show the Elizabeth Line as a national rail option.. and the stations as national railIMG_025EDC96EA62-1.jpeg

Acton1991

Google Maps is notorious for this. Some Overground stations marked with a roundel, others marked with a double arrow. Some Underground stations marked with a blue, generic rail station icon. It’s so glitchy.

The EL stations should be marked with a purple roundel as per the Overground stations in London (marked with an orange roundel)

AM9

Veteran Member
Google Maps is notorious for this. Some Overground stations marked with a roundel, others marked with a double arrow. Some Underground stations marked with a blue, generic rail station icon. It’s so glitchy.

The EL stations should be marked with a purple roundel as per the Overground stations in London (marked with an orange roundel)
Goole is an internatioal web platform comopany. It is unreasonable to expect every one of their map annotations to meet the precision required to satify the wishes of every special interst group in the country. That is particularly true of a new metro railway where even the enthusiasts and the railway operators seem to have disagreements on what logo should be there.

Acton1991

Goole is an internatioal web platform comopany. It is unreasonable to expect every one of their map annotations to meet the precision required to satify the wishes of every special interst group in the country. That is particularly true of a new metro railway where even the enthusiasts and the railway operators seem to have disagreements on what logo should be there.
There should at least be some consistencies with their approach

AM9

Veteran Member
Should maybe, but we're not talking about anything life changing here. Were this not a railway centric forum, I doubt there would be so much debate on whether google maps assigned BR (sic) or TfL implied ownership on a geographical map. Most passengers get tickets and travel, and don't really care who is running the station, track or trains as long as they run.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Should maybe, but we're not talking about anything life changing here. Were this not a railway centric forum, I doubt there would be so much debate on whether google maps assigned BR (sic) or TfL implied ownership on a geographical map. Most passengers get tickets and travel, and don't really care who is running the station, track or trains as long as they run.
You are right and to the point where the majority of users of Google Maps have not noticed the symbols at all so are way off caring which company it is. Even a symbol indicating the station was closed would get overlooked by some. It could have been the case that Google Maps had just ONE symbol for a station worldwide.

Ralph Ayres

Although there is currently not an OSI - this is however due to be implemented in the next fares round in June.
There's been an OSI between Paddington and Lancaster Gate for many years now. It's not highlighted as you wouldn't want a novice visitor to think it's straightforward like crossing the road at Hammersmith (and Lancaster Gate with its lifts couldn't cope with large numbers of extra users), but it's available for anyone who prefers it. As noted, journey planners will give detailed walking instructions if it's genuinely better than the alternatives. Its usefulness for many journeys will decrease once Crossrail runs through Paddington without needing a change of train.

geoffk

Established Member
A sensible business would probably include them anyway, as even if they are not customers on that particular journey, they would be on other journeys. TfL isn't a commercial business, so it should be servicing the best interests of London in general, not just the income of TfL
Or you could have the tube map (if you're going to call it that) showing just Zones 1 to 6, which would go as far as West Drayton on the Elizabeth Line (with an arrow "towards Slough and Reading"). But then you would exclude the outer ends of the Metropolitan line. The Harry Beck map of 1931, with its classic simplicity based on a circuit diagram, has perhaps reached its limit but it would be a shame to discard it altogether. I've never lived in London but have never had difficulty navigating by train (except that someone told me about the proximity of Paddington and Lancaster Gate, which is not obvious from the map).

BayPaul

Established Member
Or you could have the tube map (if you're going to call it that) showing just Zones 1 to 6, which would go as far as West Drayton on the Elizabeth Line (with an arrow "towards Slough and Reading"). But then you would exclude the outer ends of the Metropolitan line. The Harry Beck map of 1931, with its classic simplicity based on a circuit diagram, has perhaps reached its limit but it would be a shame to discard it altogether. I've never lived in London but have never had difficulty navigating by train (except that someone told me about the proximity of Paddington and Lancaster Gate, which is not obvious from the map).
Personally I'd make the tube map go out to zone 3 (basically include the circular bit of the overground overground circle) to make it nice and clear, and then improve the London connections map to show everything outside that

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Actually I heard it had been implemented at the beginning of May so it was there for the opening.

ubayd1847

Because it is a National Rail line. All line Rovers are valid on it amongst other things.
shouldn't it have a purple roundel, same way the overground has an orange and the DLR has a turquoise roundel?

yeah it's not difficult I mean city mapper and apple maps both nailed it first time

Status
Not open for further replies.