• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFL Verification Letter

dlrbtc21

Hi all, really happy to have discovered this forum.

I will try to detail my case the best I can because the situation might be a bit more complicated.

I am seeking assistance with a fare evasion issue involving Transport for London (TFL). On 3 May, I was stopped by a TFL inspector during my journey from South Quay to Cutty Sark on the DLR in London. I did not tap in due to being late for a dentist appointment and running in to catch the train at the last minute. It was a stupid mistake and massive negligence, I admit it, I regret it, I shouldn't have done it but here I am.

When approached by the inspector, I presented a Mastercard via my iPhone. This card, issued by Uphold, had previously experienced issues with TFL, often showing a red light when tapped. Despite raising these issues with Uphold, who confirmed everything was fine on their end, and couldn't see any declined transactions I didn't contact TFL, because I didn't see any reason to and switched to using a Visa card from HSBC for my travels. I accepted something happened with that card, it's not the most robust card. No fare evasion was ever committed there, at least not with intent. In hindsight, I shouldn't have presented that card but told them I didn't tap in which was the truth. However, I thought they would simply charge a penalty on that card and let me be. I was in a rush. This is a card I use for my day-to-day payments, it has presented issues in the past with certain transactions, it's not the most robust but it offers 1% cashback that's why I prefer it. It's also a pre-paid card so sometimes it runs out of money for brief periods until I add funds.

I typically walk to my dentist but commute to Victoria from Canary Wharf three days a week and have never missed a fare on that journey, not that I am aware of, and not intentionally. After the inspection, I noticed numerous backdated transactions on my Uphold account, suggesting that my previous attempts to tap in and out were registered and charged retroactively. It might have been the case that there was a processing error on the card or maybe the card didn't have funds at that point, however, transactions are re-tried and since I use that card daily, the window of low funds is very small, so a lack of funds shouldn't have been a problem.

The combination of presenting the card with issues with the fact that I didn't tap in makes this case more complex. When the inspector asked for my details they were interested in that card. And I now understand why. But I am 100% honest saying that I never tried to evade the fare using that card. I would have no issues admitting here or anywhere if that were the case. But it isn't.

I aim to resolve this matter without facing legal proceedings. I can provide evidence of my consistent fare payment with my Visa card and clarify that I was not attempting to evade the fare using the Mastercard.

Could you please advise on how to mitigate this situation and avoid a criminal charge for this one-off fare evasion incident?

This is the letter I received
---------

Dear Sir,

On Friday 3rd May 2024 you were reported to Transport for London (TfL) for an offence(s) on the TfL Public Transport Network. The facts of this incident are being considered and I must advise you that legal proceedings may be taken against you in accordance with Transport for London's prosecution policy.

**In order for TfL to deal with this case correctly, please return the information requested on the reverse of this letter, by e-mail to [email protected] within 10 days, including the case number stated above. Alternatively, you can send the letter by post.**

You do not have to reply to this letter but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something now which you may later rely on in court. Anything you do provide in writing may be used in evidence.

Failure to respond to this letter may result in the matter being progressed by Transport for London without further notification.

If you require further information please go to: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/prosecutions and see the Revenue Enforcement and Prosecution Policy.

Transport for London, its subsidiaries and service providers, will use your personal information for the purposes of administering enforcement activity, including prosecutions, penalty fares, responding to appeals, and fraud prevention. We may also share your personal information with London Councils, His Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Service, relevant Train Operating Companies, Credit Reference Agencies, Debt Collection Agencies and Court appointed Bailiffs for these purposes. Your personal information will be properly safeguarded and processed in accordance with the requirements of privacy and data protection legislation. In certain circumstances, TfL may also disclose your personal information to the police and other law enforcement agencies for the purpose of prevention or detection of crime. Further information on how we use your data can be found at www.tfl.gov.uk/privacy.

Yours sincerely,

Investigations Appeals and Prosecutions Team

PLEASE TURN OVER
----------------------

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alholmes

By your own admission, you didn’t have a valid ticket for the journey in question because you were in a rush and didn’t tap in. So your issues with your Mastercard and HSBC card (which I don’t fully understand) aren’t relevant to the journey that TfL have written to you about. The fact that you’ve had valid tickets, or attempted to have valid tickets, on previous days is irrelevant. That may seem harsh, but it’s true. If you raise that as a defence or mitigation, you may find that TfL then seek to delve deeper into your journey history, and you have more problems.

If you want to understand your journey history using those cards, don’t just rely on your bank statements. Create an account with TfL and register both cards on that account, then you’ll be able to see exactly which taps in and out have been registered, and therefore which journeys you’ve had a valid ticket for. You can then hopefully reconcile to your bank statements.

dlrbtc21

Thanks for the answer.

They were insistent on that Mastercard I showed them. I think that's why I received the letter instead of getting the fine. Because that card had somehow become blocked by TFL for unknown reasons. And I'm concerned they might think I've been using that card to systematically avoid fares, which I haven't done.

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for the answer.

They were insistent on that Mastercard I showed them. I think that's why I received the letter instead of getting the fine. Because that card had somehow become blocked by TFL for unknown reasons. And I'm concerned they might think I've been using that card to systematically avoid fares, which I haven't done.
As alholmes correctly states, this is all of limited relevance to the matter at hand.

You did not have a valid ticket at the time you were stopped, because you failed to touch in. TfL does not have to resolve ticketing issues by means of a Penalty Fare and is entitled to make a report for prosecution.

Until TfL attempts to bring up historical matters, which it might not ever do, you shouldn't bring them up either. Focus on that one day in your response.

dlrbtc21

Ok, I get your point.

Then can you offer any advice on how I should draft the response letter?

A solicitor told me they will try to raise the exceptional circumstances below.

Are there any good templates or examples of successful letters used to obtain an out-of-court settlement?

Thank you.

8.6 TfL may decide, in exceptional circumstances, to dispose of an offence by way of
a Warning Letter3 in lieu of prosecution after considering several factors: -
a) The offender has admitted the offence.
b) The offender is willing to accept the warning.
c) There must be sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of a convicton if
the offender were to be prosecuted.
d) The offence is not one where a prosecution is required in the publicinterest
e) There is likely to be a low risk of re-offending.
f) Satisfactory mitigation has been provided.
g) Referral of a youth offender to a Youth Offending Team.

ikcdab

You probably don't need a solicitor. This is a simple case of you travelling without a valid ticket. TFL see hundreds of cases like this all the time. The issues with your card are not relevant.
I am assuming this is the only time you have done this. If not, then other advice may apply.
If it is the only time, then look on this forum and you will find many examples of a template to follow for your reply.
If you do that, you are honest and truthful then I think there is a chance of a settlement.
Find the templates on here, draft your response, post it here and you will get good feedback.

Titfield

Established Member
Ok, I get your point.

Then can you offer any advice on how I should draft the response letter?

A solicitor told me they will try to raise the exceptional circumstances below.

Are there any good templates or examples of successful letters used to obtain an out-of-court settlement?

Thank you.

8.6 TfL may decide, in exceptional circumstances, to dispose of an offence by way of
a Warning Letter3 in lieu of prosecution after considering several factors: -
a) The offender has admitted the offence.
b) The offender is willing to accept the warning.
c) There must be sufficient evidence to provide a realistic prospect of a convicton if
the offender were to be prosecuted.
d) The offence is not one where a prosecution is required in the publicinterest
e) There is likely to be a low risk of re-offending.
f) Satisfactory mitigation has been provided.
g) Referral of a youth offender to a Youth Offending Team.

I suggest you read the advice @Hadders gives for the content of letters to TfL and other Train Operating Companies.

You can search for this using the button on the top right of the page.

Also (1) do not use chatgp or other AI to write the letter as it doesnt ring true (2) use British English spellings (3) Keep the letter short and to the point. (4) Avoid deviation, repetition and any extraneous matters. Problems with payment cards, ticket gates, running late, not paying attention are irrelevant.

Veteran Member
If it is the only time, then look on this forum and you will find many examples of a template to follow for your reply.
If you do that, you are honest and truthful then I think there is a chance of a settlement.
Unfortunately, TfL are not known for offering to settle out of court, but they do sometimes agree to a warning letter as quoted by the OP.
Find the templates on here, draft your response, post it here and you will get good feedback.
Agreed.

dlrbtc21

It has details about this blocked card, when I go to my Contactless Cards there is another card that is ready to travel, the one I started using after the previous one got blocked, way before the inspection. Is there a particular section you'd be interested to see?

Main page
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 17.18.19.png

signature

and when you click on failed revenue inspection doesnt it say you have been charged maximum fare for this occasion? I had that too before once on the screen but it was the end of it

dlrbtc21

and when you click on failed revenue inspection doesnt it say you have been charged maximum fare for this occasion? I had that too before once on the screen but it was the end of it
Yes, the card was charged the max amount. Curious why is this important and how can it affect things since you're asking about it

@Titfield @Hadders I have drafted a letter using the templates found on this forum.

Can I please have a review before sending it? The deadline is tomorrow, Friday 17 May.

Much appreciated.

------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Case Reference XXX – Notice of Intention to Prosecute

I am writing in response to the Notice of Intention to Prosecute letter dated 07 May 2024, regarding the offence at Cutty Sark on 3 May 2024.

I offer my sincerest apologies for not tapping in at South Quay DLR station. I deeply regret this mistake and assure you it will never happen again. This incident was a one-off occurrence driven by the urgency of a dentist appointment, causing me to neglect tapping in while rushing to catch the train last minute.

I acknowledge that I did not tap in at that time. I take full responsibility for this and understand the gravity of my actions and the importance of always tapping in and out correctly.

I am ashamed of this event and now understand that irrespective of personal circumstances I should not attempt to travel without paying the correct fare. During my work commute, I have diligently tapped in and out for all the journeys.

In light of the above, I wondered if it would be possible to settle this matter without having to go to court. I am prepared to pay any outstanding fare and your administration costs in dealing with this matter and I hope my desire to settle will be sincerely considered.

Please let me know if you require any further information or documents from me.

Once again, I sincerely apologise for my actions and any inconvenience caused. I would greatly appreciate your understanding and consideration.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,
----------------------------

Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
It is a bit wordy but I think that reflects your style based on your posts to this forum.

the line "please let me know if you require any further information....." can be omitted as TfL would contact you anyway if they wanted clarification etc.

Has the journey you took actually been paid for as I must confess to being a bit confused about your account?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think the letter is ok but I would add that you are prepared to pay the outstanding fare and TfL's costs in dealing with the issue.

dlrbtc21

I think the letter is ok but I would add that you are prepared to pay the outstanding fare and TfL's costs in dealing with the issue.
Thank you.
I sent the letter last night.
I did mention that In light of the above, I wondered if it would be possible to settle this matter without having to go to court. I am prepared to pay any outstanding fare and your administration costs in dealing with this matter and I hope my desire to settle will be sincerely considered.
Will keep the thread updated with my result.

gericking

Thank you.
I sent the letter last night.
I did mention that In light of the above, I wondered if it would be possible to settle this matter without having to go to court. I am prepared to pay any outstanding fare and your administration costs in dealing with this matter and I hope my desire to settle will be sincerely considered.
Will keep the thread updated with my result.
Hello! I was wondering how this went. I was stopped earlier as well and given a notice that tfl will be sending a letter to me. Now it is giving me severe anxiety.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello! I was wondering how this went. I was stopped earlier as well and given a notice that tfl will be sending a letter to me. Now it is giving me severe anxiety.
In line with our forum rules please start your own thread if you require assistance. We have a rule of only discussing one thread per thread because however similar two cases might appear to be experience has taught us that no two cases are ever quite the same.