• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW ‘Active Travel’ Class 153s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BenBracken

It’s all gone very quiet on that front. It’s been nearly a year since they were announced but there’s no info anywhere about whether the work has been started.

sd0733

Established Member
Work is progressing, first one is in fit out and should be ready in about 4 weeks. Availability of parts has been the main hold up.

That is good news, will all services be couple to one of these units? Are we expecting a promotional livery / branding applied?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
That is good news, will all services be couple to one of these units? Are we expecting a promotional livery / branding applied?
I believe there's going to be 6 sets of semi permanently coupled 153s, one /3 and one /5. I believe a livery was mentioned but can't confirm that point.

sd0733

Established Member
I believe there's going to be 6 sets of semi permanently coupled 153s, one /3 and one /5. I believe a livery was mentioned but can't confirm that point.
Unsure if its still the case as the 153s won't now be confined to the Heart of Wales but there was a special livery planned but each pair had what was basically a map livery, with Swansea at one end and Shrewsbury at the other end of the pair showing points of interest along the heart of Wales.

Where was that announced and which units sorry?
Unsure where it was announced but the bike 153s are planned to be numbered 153507/528/531/552 plus potentially 568/572 although those 2 may now stay as /9s for non heart of Wales diagrams I believe.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Unsure if its still the case as the 153s won't now be confined to the Heart of Wales but there was a special livery planned but each pair had what was basically a map livery, with Swansea at one end and Shrewsbury at the other end of the pair showing points of interest along the heart of Wales.
Thanks for that. I'd missed any announcement of their being used on other routes, are you able to say which routes they're likely to operate on, beyond the Heart of Wales line?

sd0733

Established Member
Thanks for that. I'd missed any announcement of their being used on other routes, are you able to say which routes they're likely to operate on, beyond the Heart of Wales line?
Crewe-Shrewsbury and "West Wales" but unsure exactly where.

Plans change a lot so its difficult to keep up but from what I gather the 153/5s will be dedicated to Heart of Wales with 3 diagrams for the 4 and the 153/3s and 153/9s will work all routes, there would always need to be at least one /3 in the formation for the accessibile toilet. I do believe that they'll not now be semi-permanently coupled but just run as pairs due to the different formation on different routes. Things change a lot so I'm not guaranteeing that's not been superseded by now though

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

Plans change a lot so its difficult to keep up but from what I gather the 153/5s will be dedicated to Heart of Wales with 3 diagrams for the 4 and the 153/3s and 153/9s will work all routes, there would always need to be at least one /3 in the formation for the accessibile toilet. I do believe that they'll be semi-permanently coupled now but just run as pairs due to the different formation on different routes. Things change a lot so I'm not guaranteeing that's not been superseded by now though
Oh, so they're keeping more 153s than the original 12 then?

AdamWW

Established Member
there would always need to be at least one /3 in the formation for the accessibile toilet.

Not the case at the moment, of course, when /9's happily run around solo, albeit not on terribly long journeys.

sd0733

Established Member
Not the case at the moment, of course, when /9's happily run around solo, albeit not on terribly long journeys.
Will be on the routes they'll be on though. Granted Crewe-Shrewsbury has been known to be a single /9 in the past but there wouldn't be pairs of them sent down the Heart of Wales.

Oh, so they're keeping more 153s than the original 12 then?
Don't think so. The others lines can possibly be diagramed to be work with the early/late short workings at both ends. Unsure how it will all piece together in practice though.

DelW

Established Member

Plans change a lot so its difficult to keep up but from what I gather the 153/5s will be dedicated to Heart of Wales with 3 diagrams for the 4 and the 153/3s and 153/9s will work all routes, there would always need to be at least one /3 in the formation for the accessibile toilet. I do believe that they'll be semi-permanently coupled now but just run as pairs due to the different formation on different routes. Things change a lot so I'm not guaranteeing that's not been superseded by now though
Thanks again, I appreciate the info' even if it's still provisional for the time being. One day it will all become clear!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Will be on the routes they'll be on though. Granted Crewe-Shrewsbury has been known to be a single /9 in the past but there wouldn't be pairs of them sent down the Heart of Wales.

Don't think so. The others lines can possibly be diagramed to be work with the early/late short workings at both ends. Unsure how it will all piece together in practice though.
That does make sense really.

Anonymous10

Established Member

Plans change a lot so its difficult to keep up but from what I gather the 153/5s will be dedicated to Heart of Wales with 3 diagrams for the 4 and the 153/3s and 153/9s will work all routes, there would always need to be at least one /3 in the formation for the accessibile toilet. I do believe that they'll not now be semi-permanently coupled but just run as pairs due to the different formation on different routes. Things change a lot so I'm not guaranteeing that's not been superseded by now though
Under the term west Wales that could mean a Fishguard Carmarthen shuttle or a pembroke dock shuttle.

craigybagel

Established Member
I'm not sure there ever was a public announcement. It is happening though

I know the plan was for the HOWL sets to be coupled with the small cabs facing outwards - something to do with access I assume? Great news for taller drivers since you actually get better leg room in the small cabs but not so good for the guards.

sd0733

Established Member
I know the plan was for the HOWL sets to be coupled with the small cabs facing outwards - something to do with access I assume? Great news for taller drivers since you actually get better leg room in the small cabs but not so good for the guguards.
I've heard several changes to the way sets are facing, but no idea which is the latest now.
There was the small cabs out plan, there was also one where all sets face the same way so all the sets were coupled big cab to little cab and I've also been told all the big cabs are to be facing out due to union concerns about long term use of the little cabs.
Think it's fair to say that the plans aren't set in stone until they actually happen with all the ammendments!

craigybagel

Established Member
I've heard several changes to the way sets are facing, but no idea which is the latest now.
There was the small cabs out plan, there was also one where all sets face the same way so all the sets were coupled big cab to little cab and I've also been told all the big cabs are to be facing out due to union concerns about long term use of the little cabs.
Think it's fair to say that the plans aren't set in stone until they actually happen with all the ammendments!
ASLEF CC were briefed it would be small cabs out - I'm not sure if this was before or after the complaints were raised however. Be interesting to see what the final results are.

sd0733

Established Member
ASLEF CC were briefed it would be small cabs out - I'm not sure if this was before or after the complaints were raised however. Be interesting to see what the final results are.
That must be the latest plan then. Believe some accessibility issues have flagged up with some combinations.
Yes will be interesting to see how it all ends up.

I realise this may be a bit OT but does anyone have a list of the current pool of TFW class 153s? My book is properly out of date

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I realise this may be a bit OT but does anyone have a list of the current pool of TFW class 153s? My book is properly out of date

Which book? Mine (2024 edition) suggests 303/312/318/320/323/325/327/333/353/361/362/367/369/382/507/528/531/552/906/909/910/914/921/922/926/935/968/972 are all in use with TfW.
153329 also.

BenBracken

I seem to remember a lot of controversy about the small cabs when the 155 to 153 conversions were done, with drivers and unions all unhappy about cramped they were.
Great news for taller drivers since you actually get better leg room in the small cabs but not so good for the guards.
But it sounds like that’s not the case?