• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
You’re not wrong :lol:
As it goes, the 22x and 175s are both my favourite diesel trains, so I’d be happy with either ngl :lol:
Can they be coupled together? My lordz, you could swap units at every station from Aberdeen to Penzance :lol:

On a more serious note, I suspect the poster who mentioned some form of maintenance to be undertaken is closer to the truth :)

Anonymous10

Established Member
Cross Country stock tends to be serviced and maintained there so I can only imagine they are going to be used to alleviate overcrowding on the XC network*

*this may be wibble, please do not get your knickers in a twist and just imagine how glorious Aberdeen to Penzance will be in a single 175 unit :D
cardiff to nottingham on a 5 or 6 coach 175 could be nice though. But I am still of the opinion it will be for some form of maintenance, before returning to storage, although as there is a thread discussing chilterns stock tender and GWR wanting additional stock asap this could be wrong.

Cross Country stock tends to be serviced and maintained there so I can only imagine they are going to be used to alleviate overcrowding on the XC network*

*this may be wibble, please do not get your knickers in a twist and just imagine how glorious Aberdeen to Penzance will be in a single 175 unit :D
Wibble it may be but Notts Brum would be good, or put them on the Cardiffs.

Last edited:

Jacob Didcote

I can confirm that half of 150241, cab pointing towards Newport, is visible from passing trains. No doubt there for some sort of heavy maintenance. TfW 150s can often be seen on the low level part of Canton.
Lower part of Canton is/was Pullman Rail which has now been bought by TfW. I believe they do most of the wheelset changes as well as refurbs/overhauls.

Caaardiff

They are still part of the TFW fleet but the leases are due to end soon so it's probably more activity happening as they get nearer to the hardback date. While being stored at Landore, Crewe and Holyhead they are still under TFW's/chrysalis care

Bikeman78

Established Member

I'd take that over a Voyager any day.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There’s actually not a single 150 on the former 170 services today!

Maesteg Cheltenham is in the hands of a 158, a 2-197, a 3-197, another 3-197, and a peak pair of 153s.

Cardiff Ebbw Vale is in the hands of two pairs of 153s.

BillStampy

There’s actually not a single 150 on the former 170 services today!

Maesteg Cheltenham is in the hands of a 158, a 2-197, a 3-197, another 3-197, and a peak pair of 153s.

Cardiff Ebbw Vale is in the hands of two pairs of 153s.
Pair of 153s have swapped in for the 2 car, I'm hoping peak may be 106 as it returns from Holyhead as it can't join for the Piccadilly service as it would make 5 coaches

Geeves

Established Member
175s to GWR is now the latest rumour. Apparently to replace the last of the Castle Sets. Training is in the offing. First set to go down next week?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
175s to GWR is now the latest rumour. Apparently to replace the last of the Castle Sets. Training is in the offing. First set to go down next week?
They need to be booked 4 and 5-car then.
You may wish to check out this thread for that, with this being a thread for tracking TfW's withdrawals :)

Bikeman78

Established Member
I wish them the best of luck. I'll get the popcorn ready.

geoffk

Established Member
I wish them the best of luck. I'll get the popcorn ready.
GWR has had experience of the similar 180s but not in Devon and Cornwall so it will be a non-standard micro-fleet, presumably all at Laira or Long Rock to minimise the training needed. Wouldn't it make more sense to send 175s to Chiltern and cascade 165s to GWR?

Anonymous10

Established Member
GWR has had experience of the similar 180s but not in Devon and Cornwall so it will be a non-standard micro-fleet, presumably all at Laira or Long Rock to minimise the training needed. Wouldn't it make more sense to send 175s to Chiltern and cascade 165s to GWR?
A fleet of circa 30 units is hardly a micro fleet, and the 175s historically are more reliable than 180s.

geoffk

Established Member
A fleet of circa 30 units is hardly a micro fleet, and the 175s historically are more reliable than 180s.
That's true if GWR has the whole fleet but the reports I've heard are that they are to replace the Castle HST sets, of which only four remain I believe. Anyway, watch this space I suppose.

Caaardiff

That's true if GWR has the whole fleet but the reports I've heard are that they are to replace the Castle HST sets, of which only four remain I believe. Anyway, watch this space I suppose.
Surely they'll be replacing the ones that have already left the fleet and have left GWR overall short of units?

Anonymous10

Established Member
Surely they'll be replacing the ones that have already left the fleet and have left GWR overall short of units?
That's my thought you'd use them to take the 15x castles and iets off the cardiff/bristol/Plymouth - Penzance route

craigybagel

Established Member
It would be a non standard fleet at Chiltern as well - you're just moving the issues somewhere else. Also, if you're wanting the 175s to be used to cascade 165s (rather than just replacing the 68s) then they're going to need modifications - at the very least they need some form of DOO equipment, and you can't use them on the Metropolitan line without tripcocks. Neither of these would be required at GWR.