• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 15x/17x withdrawals (17x now finished)

TheEngineer

It’s been fitted with some dragging brake monitoring device too. Has been out of service for a very long time, and hasn’t been far since coming out - it’s been on the Bays every day it’s been out since it was released!
Thanks for the info, it had been in the same siding at the back of Canton the last couple of times I went past to Ninian Park ( a couple of months apart I think my visits were )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Defiance149

175108 was released from Ilford on Monday, only got to Bletchley and still there this morning. Was booked to Crewe South Yard.

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
Anyone know what is happening about fixing 150242 & 150279 ??
Are they the two fire damaged 150s from the incident at Craven Arms? if so, I thought they werent going to repair them.

How many 150s are now actually booked outside of the Valley Lines? I think some Maesteg and Ebbw Vale, Swanline and Pembroke Dock although these routes would also have some 153s booked. Obviously on Sundays they have booked work to Manchester but shouldnt have at any other time.

ATP

On coming into Cardiff Central from the west earlier, I noticed 158834 being loaded onto 2 trucks, on the sidings where GWR normally park on turns. Anyone know why?

Also there was a 1 carriage 150 at canton. I assumed it was to do with an incident but it looked like 150241?

Caaardiff

On coming into Cardiff Central from the west earlier, I noticed 158834 being loaded onto 2 trucks, on the sidings where GWR normally park on turns. Anyone know why?

Also there was a 1 carriage 150 at canton. I assumed it was to do with an incident but it looked like 150241?
Was it being loaded or unloaded? I thought 158834 had been taken to Doncaster a while back after its collision on Canton last year.

ATP

Was it being loaded or unloaded? I thought 158834 had been taken to Doncaster a while back after its collision on Canton last year.
Could well have been being unloaded to be fair. I’ve only just returned to the area so have been out the loop a bit but if that’s the case it looks like it’s back!

Bikeman78

Established Member

I can confirm that half of 150241, cab pointing towards Newport, is visible from passing trains. No doubt there for some sort of heavy maintenance. TfW 150s can often be seen on the low level part of Canton.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Are they the two fire damaged 150s from the incident at Craven Arms? if so, I thought they werent going to repair them.

How many 150s are now actually booked outside of the Valley Lines? I think some Maesteg and Ebbw Vale, Swanline and Pembroke Dock although these routes would also have some 153s booked. Obviously on Sundays they have booked work to Manchester but shouldnt have at any other time.
150s are on the majority of Cheltenham as well.

I did notice it earlier! Went past my parent's house!

Anonymous10

Established Member
I can confirm that half of 150241, cab pointing towards Newport, is visible from passing trains. No doubt there for some sort of heavy maintenance. TfW 150s can often be seen on the low level part of Canton.
I think there's been a cab of a 150 in that position since the end of December, of course it could be a different 150.

anthony263

Established Member
Screenshot taken from Facebook news article from the Valley Times this morning.

Tfw state 756s will enter service on the valley lines in June with the class 150s gone from August.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123-110757_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123-110757_Facebook.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 149

Anonymous10

Established Member

Tfw state 756s will enter service on the valley lines in June with the class 150s gone from August.
I wonder if the 150s are going off lease in August. If so that could be the capacity upgrade GWR are looking for.

Cambrian359

Which year?:lol:
But seriously let’s hope all runs smoothly then as if it doesn’t and the 150s all go in August that’s the universal back up to every service gone!! ( ignoring cambrian line services)

Nick Ashwell

I wonder if the 150s are going off lease in August. If so that could be the capacity upgrade GWR are looking for.
I suspect reading that it means from the Valley Lines (or even more likely only Treherbert services). Do they have enough 158s to cover Cheltenham/Maesteg/Ebbw Vale and the Cambrian if they were withdrawn (Maybe the ETCS 197s may start to make an appearance but I doubt it). I would think they don't have the number of units to withdraw the class entirely by then.

Western 52

I expect some 150s will still be used in west Wales, unless a lot more 197s are accepted and the Pembroke branch is cleared for them.

Anonymous10

Established Member
I suspect reading that it means from the Valley Lines. Do they have enough 158s to cover Cheltenham/Maesteg/Ebbw Vale and the Cambrian if they were withdrawn (Maybe the ETCS 197s may start to make an appearance but I doubt it). I would think they don't have the number of units to withdraw the class entirely by then.
True but would tfw still need all their fleet between the in service and few fire damaged units they have 34 150s.

sd0733

Established Member
They’ll be 197s very soon. They were supposed to start appearing on these eventual-231 routes from late Jan.
All the timescales seem to have slipped. 197 acceptance isn't as quick as was planned and availability isn't great either even after the wheel damage was rectified.
There's already a couple of 150s on Treherbert crew training but still lots out and about the network covering pretty much every other fleet at the moment.

BillStampy

They’ll be 197s very soon. They were supposed to start appearing on these eventual-231 routes from late Jan.
It counts, how soon is "soon". TfW have said that since the beginning. I've seen plenty of tests to Gloucester and today 197021 + 197050 went to Cheltenham, I haven't seen many tests down to Maesteg though. That being a total of 2. With only 1 test to Cheltenham, would that even be close to enough to clear the units? The other routes took way more tests. Though that could be as they aren't supposed to stay on Maesteg Cheltenham forever, but still. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also the faster we get the 197s on, the faster we get the 15X out. I'm still gutted about the 17X withdrawals, as the 170s were great units for Maesteg Cheltenham and 175s were a good boost in quality for a bit.

Caaardiff

Not sure how 24 756s can replace 34 150s.
Also the 231s are needed for Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Cheltenham which 197s will be covering for. Those 197s will be needed elsewhere.
Some 150s may go but can't see all of them going that quick.
The sums are not adding up there.

BillStampy

Also the 231s are needed for Maesteg, Ebbw Vale and Cheltenham which 197s will be covering for. Those 197s will be needed elsewhere.
The sums are not adding up there
Got to remember that the 398s also exist. They will contribute the withdrawal of the 150s on the Metro routes.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The sums are not adding up there.
How many 150s run in pairs that could be replaced by a single 756? It's a couple of years since I was in Cardiff... certainly saw some pairs, although I don't think it was many?

..but what about the 398s for the metro area? Are we taking those into account?

170UTD

Noticed 170208 didn't move over to EMR on 21st. Guessing the move has just being delayed for a few days for some reason?

BillStampy

208 is registered as 5M57 at Canton, check Traksy if you want. So that is the end of 17X, officially.

EDIT: It is now deregistered, unknown if it leaving Canton or not.

Last edited: