• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW 175 shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
It often isn’t though, but it’s rarely acknowledged on here now, because panicked forum members will immediately attack anyone who dares criticise the platform, after forumers once complained about adverts on the site and the owner seemed to respond by pretty much warning that he might take the site down altogether.

That shut up complaints (probably as intended) but now regular users will have a go at anyone that dares moan when it gets things wrong because they’re scared too much criticism and they’ll lose it altogether :lol: That’s really bad if you ask me, but we’ll leave that for a more appropriate thread. To clarify, I do see RTT as an exceptionally valuable resource, I just refuse to deny it’s not infallible.

The thing with RTT is that if wrong data goes in then wrong data will come out. There’s not much anyone can do about that. Just like with platform allocations, if a last-minute change or swap happens then it’s going to throw things up in the air. So like many things it’s an information tool, but shouldn’t be treated as gospel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jez

Established Member
I saw 175006 in service yesterday

Edit sorry just seen that was one already listed as in service.

Last edited:

Caaardiff

Whatever is going on with the 175's doesn't appear to be a quick fix. IF this goes on longer than expected, can we expect to see some stock hired in to help? Some more 150's, or even better 158s (Not on Cambrian) would fit in with the current fleet. Subject to availability of course!

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Whatever is going on with the 175's doesn't appear to be a quick fix. IF this goes on longer than expected, can we expect to see some stock hired in to help? Some more 150's, or even better 158s (Not on Cambrian) would fit in with the current fleet. Subject to availability of course!
Seen on Facebook that 11 units are currently stored in the relaid sidings at Holyhead, that really is abysmal.

The Prisoner

Seen on Facebook that 11 units are currently stored in the relaid sidings at Holyhead, that really is abysmal.

If you search Class 175 Holyhead on FB you can see plenty of pics of them parked up.

Do we think these units are coming back into service or is that it? I can only see a handful of them out on services at the moment, and as others have pointed out 150s and 153s on six hour plus West Wales - Holyhead services (which of course is better than nothing).

JetStream

I believe 4 are unlikely to work again, at least for TFW, and 1 is off lease.

I'd expect a 15x more than a 175 on any journey going forward now, at least until more 197s are rail worthy.

Established Member
Northern's fleet already stretched with numerous short forming of late

The Prisoner

From a quick scan I can't see a single one out today from RTT - certainly not on the N Wales coast or Marches services.

Topological

I see that the 05:45 from Carmarthen was 2 x 153 until Swansea, gained a unit to become 3 x 153 from Swansea to Cardiff and then terminated. Looks like a 150 was allocated to the train and then left Cardiff 30 minutes late. Presumably as it is now 40 late at Shrewsbury the train will not make it to Manchester. This while there are working trains parked in the sidings.

I do recognise the RTT feed might not be correct, but you have to presume there was a good reason to swap at Cardiff and hope that there are not now broken 153s involved.

RTT Link: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L07464/2023-03-13#allox_id=1

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Statement from TfW

13 Mar 2023
Transport for Wales (TfW) is advising its customers to check for the latest information before travelling this week as some services will be affected by train shortages and industrial action.

Class 175 update

As announced earlier this month, TfW has temporarily withdrawn a number of its Class 175 trains to allow additional maintenance checks to be carried out following some recent mechanical issues.

While it was hoped these units would be back in service by Friday 10 March, safety checks are still on-going and as a result disruption is likely to continue for the remainder of the coming week (w/c 13 March).

Disruption is likely across the Wales and Borders network, not just on those routes served by the Class 175s, as trains are moved to provide capacity where demand is highest. Customers are asked to check before they travel. This includes first and last trains and any ferry connections to ensure sufficient time is allowed.

Routes affected by the changes are:

Newport - Crosskeys – service cancelled (no rail replacement).
Chester-Liverpool – service cancelled (Merseyrail ticket acceptance).
Conwy Valley Line – service cancelled (rail replacement).
Wrexham-Bidston Line – service cancelled with rail replacement buses.
West Wales lines – some services to Pembroke Dock (w/c 13/03) cancelled with rail replacement buses.
All Milford Haven and Fishguard services cancelled west of Carmarthen - majority of services will have rail replacement buses.
Cambrian Coast – early morning Barmouth service cancelled, with rail replacement buses.
Core Valley Lines – reduced service on some routes.
Jan Chaudhry-Van der Velde, Chief Operations Officer at TfW, said: “The safety of our customers and colleagues remains our priority and it is important that all the necessary checks and repairs have been completed on each of our Class 175 trains before being allowed back into service.

"The Class 175s are maintained on our behalf by CAF at their depot in Chester, and while we have this shortage of rolling stock, we are moving trains around the network to try and minimise the impact on the busiest routes.

“We’re very sorry for any disruption to customers’ journeys while we work to carry out the repairs as quickly as possible.”

Caaardiff

I see that the 05:45 from Carmarthen was 2 x 153 until Swansea, gained a unit to become 3 x 153 from Swansea to Cardiff and then terminated. Looks like a 150 was allocated to the train and then left Cardiff 30 minutes late. Presumably as it is now 40 late at Shrewsbury the train will not make it to Manchester. This while there are working trains parked in the sidings.

I do recognise the RTT feed might not be correct, but you have to presume there was a good reason to swap at Cardiff and hope that there are not now broken 153s involved.

RTT Link: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L07464/2023-03-13#allox_id=1
Where are those working trains?

Philip

On Moderation
I think 3 x 3-coach 175s made an ECS movement from Holyhead to Chester depot last week, seem to remember 105 and 114 were two of them, so perhaps these three are currently undergoing the safety checks and maintenance at Chester.

Anonymous10

Established Member

The 153s will have been working out of Carmarthen unable to get to depot since Friday so likely maintenance fuel and loo all need sorting

Jez

Established Member

Yes I saw that one this morning and it was indeed 3 x 153s. At least they are trying to make an effort to run 3 carriages where they can although a shame it got swapped at Cardiff for a 2 car 150.

Andrew*Debbie

150236 is filling in on 1V94 today, the 0805 Holyhead to Cardiff Central service. Real Time Trains claims 153909 is joining at Chester.

1V94 is nominally a 175/1.

Attachments

• 150236.jpg
    150236.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

anthony263

Established Member
Tfw getting a backlash the public seeing photos of overcrowded sprinters on long distance trains abd the class 175s parked in sidings

Techniquest

Veteran Member
150236 is filling in on 1V94 today, the 0805 Holyhead to Cardiff Central service. Real Time Trains claims 153909 is joining at Chester.

1V94 is nominally a 175/1.

I saw that as it took on the curves into Hereford, it did indeed have a 153 on the back but I was a bit busy pedalling up and over the bridge to see which one it was.

Absolutely did not envy anyone on that, it's a mighty long way from North Wales to Cardiff on such a train! Fortunate for TfW then that National Express do not have a coach running that route, and that even Hereford to Cardiff on the 2-hourly X3 bus takes quite some time. I'm on far too tight a budget currently to do any trains, just as well with the state of play right now!

Bikeman78

Established Member
I saw that as it took on the curves into Hereford, it did indeed have a 153 on the back but I was a bit busy pedalling up and over the bridge to see which one it was.

Absolutely did not envy anyone on that, it's a mighty long way from North Wales to Cardiff on such a train! Fortunate for TfW then that National Express do not have a coach running that route, and that even Hereford to Cardiff on the 2-hourly X3 bus takes quite some time. I'm on far too tight a budget currently to do any trains, just as well with the state of play right now!
150278 has already done Holyhead - Cardiff - Holyhead - Cardiff today. Just arrived on 1V97 and allocated 1W98 back to Holyhead. 936 miles in a day! That's three days work on the valleys.

Topological

150278 has already done Holyhead - Cardiff - Holyhead - Cardiff today. Just arrived on 1V97 and allocated 1W98 back to Holyhead. 936 miles in a day! That's three days work on the valleys.
Have to say that the 150s are earning their keep.

There was one on the 18:30 from Manchester, that would have been very cosy too.

L401CJF

Established Member
Whilst the 150s arnt exactly urm, luxurious, I do enjoy working on them. Brilliant little trains with no thrills that just turn up and do the job, rarely any hassle.

Obviously not suited to the routes they're currently working but needs must unfortunately.

170UTD

Amazing little trojans. They might not be up to much comfort wise (compared to what should be on that route) but TfW would be in real trouble without them.

Leeds1970

with regard to unit suitability - you may get to know your fellow traveller better than you may want, but surely a 150 etc is better than a cancellation or bustitution, plus lets not forget 150/2 units were the Backbone of the Transpennine network working services such as Holyhead to Hull & 2 coupled 153s is basically a 155 which under Provincial were the main traction for Holyhead/Manchester/Liverpool to Cardiff

Danfilm007

with regard to unit suitability - you may get to know your fellow traveller better than you may want, but surely a 150 etc is better than a cancellation or bustitution, plus lets not forget 150/2 units were the Backbone of the Transpennine network working services such as Holyhead to Hull & 2 coupled 153s is basically a 155 which under Provincial were the main traction for Holyhead/Manchester/Liverpool to Cardiff

Do love the 150/2s in ATW/TfW guise. Some of the Northern ones (and /1s) are getting very tired now though but still providing a good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.