• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I like the look of these, should be good fun to travel on when they're ready :) It even looks like they have good cycle space provision!

MattRat

On Moderation
Thanks.

None of that is unreasonable, nor a great conspiracy, nor a screw-up, and won't cost an absolute packet as part of the later works to introduce street running.

In short (as it's an image so a faff to retype) the "issue" is that the units have been specified with rail-profile wheels, because using tram-profile wheels requires modification of pointwork on the railway sections on which they will operate, and changing the wheel profile later is lower risk than changing the infrastructure now. There are also a few other minor things cited which will depend on what on-street running is planned and what will be wired, such as larger batteries and 750VDC based fast charging, plus something about "controls for road use", i guess that means indicators etc, though I'm surprised they weren't specced now due to the low cost.
Hold up. How does a tram train run on train tracks without train wheels? And then if it can't, how does that make it still a tram train, and not just a tram?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Hold up. How does a tram train run on train tracks without train wheels? And then if it can't, how does that make it still a tram train, and not just a tram?
A tram-train can run on modified train tracks. Which then means certain trains cannot use those modified tracks (steam locomotives with flange-less wheels)

D365

Veteran Member
A tram-train can run on modified train tracks. Which then means certain trains cannot use those modified tracks (steam locomotives with flange-less wheels)
My understanding was that tracks on the Supertram are being changed, rather than the heavy rail tracks out to Rotherham. Tram-train wheel vehicles can only run to Shalesmoor currently (?)

Broken70

My understanding was that tracks on the Supertram are being changed, rather than the heavy rail tracks out to Rotherham. Tram-train wheel vehicles can only run to Shalesmoor currently (?)
Correct however as far as I'm led to believe they won't pass Cathedral. The Tram train ones anyway its quite an odd set up currently.

anthony263

Established Member
Its literally just arrived at Taff's well depot tonight. They closed the northbound slip road onto the A470 at Taff's well tonight for it.

I've attached The photo posted just now on Facebook copyright belongs to the person who uploaded it onto Facebook.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1679433266518.jpg
    FB_IMG_1679433266518.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 217

XAM2175

Established Member
I've attached The photo posted just now on Facebook copyright belongs to the person who uploaded it onto Facebook.
Copyright attaches to the person or organisation who created the image, not the person who uploads to Facebook or any other such service (and just saying "credit to the creator" isn't enough either).

In this case it's fairly obvious, given that it says "Traffic Wales" in the upper left and "Crown Copyright" in the upper right!

Bob Price

Someone messaged me last night and told me to check the cameras. I was surprised as I didn't think the depot was ready. Maybe there for gushing and clearance tests? Here's another from the Traffic Wales site last night.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 21.56.47.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 21.56.47.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 142

trainlogger

In the Facebook group Railways of Wales there are some photos from Nigel Rees of a new unit arriving at Avonmouth.
Very minor correction - these (and other recent Stadler/Vossloh/CAF rail vehicles) are coming through "Royal Portbury Dock", not "Avonmouth". (Both part of the wider "Bristol Port" but important to differentiate)

twpsaesneg

I'm intrigued by the "Grease Tank Refill" label - do these units have on-board flange lubricators, or is this for something else?

fadster

398006 is at the Asfordby Test Centre (often referred to as Old Dalby) still in two parts as delivered.
Fadster.

sharpley

398006 is at the Asfordby Test Centre (often referred to as Old Dalby) still in two parts as delivered.
Fadster.
I live in Melton Mowbray so took a walk to the test track. Can see these units in the distance at Melton RIDC, excuse the quality of photo, had to zoom a bit with my phone...

Attachments

• 20230328_101326.jpg
    20230328_101326.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
  • 20230328_101259.jpg
    20230328_101259.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 186

Hwnt52

I'm hearing 398008 was delivered to Taffs Well deport last night, can anyone confirm this please?
I tried to join the A470 at Taffs Well heading north at 10.00 last night to find the slip road blocked with low-loaders carrying what appeared to be a 398. Must have been your 398008 Buzz.

Buzz68

I tried to join the A470 at Taffs Well heading north at 10.00 last night to find the slip road blocked with low-loaders carrying what appeared to be a 398. Must have been your 398008 Buzz.

Thank you, I popped down earlier to have a look. 398008 was inside the depot and 398007 was outside.398008.jpg
398007.jpg

I live in Melton Mowbray so took a walk to the test track. Can see these units in the distance at Melton RIDC, excuse the quality of photo, had to zoom a bit with my phone...

Any idea how many are there?

Or a question to others, how many of the 36 are built and/or in the UK?