• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick Ashwell

Do they have to do the same amount of mileage accumulation as standard heavy rail units? Are they going to be doing their initial running as part of the blockades?

Bob Price

There are no wires at Taffs Well at the moment. I am guessing they will use batteries until they get to a wired section for testing.

AdamWW

Established Member
There are no wires at Taffs Well at the moment. I am guessing they will use batteries until they get to a wired section for testing.

I don't think there will be wires through the station - the plans I've seen have showed a gap in the wires (not just a permanently earthed section) between the new Gelynis Farm overbridge (between Radyr and Taffs Wells) and a point just north of Taffs Wells station.

With the wires now energised on the line past the depot, is it likely that test running will begin soon?

Someone's just told me they can only see 3 398's in the depot and there were more than that before.

So unless they have gone back by road for some reason, either they're very well hidden or out on the line somewhere...
Apparently they don't seem to be lurking in the shed.

Realtimetrains and Traksy etc. aren't much help since it's still all under possession.

Last edited:

Established Member
I don't think there will be wires through the station - the plans I've seen have showed a gap in the wires (not just a permanently earthed section) between the new Gelynis Farm overbridge (between Radyr and Taffs Wells) and a point just north of Taffs Wells station.

Someone's just told me they can only see 3 398's in the depot and there were more than that before.

So unless they have gone back by road for some reason, either they're very well hidden or out on the line somewhere...
Apparently they don't seem to be lurking in the shed.

Realtimetrains and Traksy etc. aren't much help since it's still all under possession.
There’s 4 there.

anthony263

Established Member
Been posted on another forum the class 398s starting overnight testing between Taff's well and Radyr Monday to Friday next week. Timings on realtime trains screenshot attached

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1685740493549.jpg
    FB_IMG_1685740493549.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 127

Established Member
Been posted on another forum the class 398s starting overnight testing between Taff's well and Radyr Monday to Friday next week. Timings on realtime trains screenshot attached
I’ve also heard they start testing next week, ps think you’ve uploaded wrong screenshot.

Bob Price

Ok this is interesting. From the Railcam timings. Is this now what we call the depot at Taffs Well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230603-175422.png
    Screenshot_20230603-175422.png
    583.4 KB · Views: 184

Bob Price

Interesting. Railcam get their feed from Open Train Times. Wonder if this is an error or that will be its new name.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Interesting. Railcam get their feed from Open Train Times. Wonder if this is an error or that will be its new name.
Perhaps that's just the name of the land that it was built upon and they haven't altered it yet? I may be wrong however.

Rick1984

Would it be possible to put a toilet in a tram-train. I guess space would be main reason not to?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Think stadler said it could but you'd loose a lot of seating
We've probably had this discussion many times before.

No toilets on the tram-trains. If you need to go, get off at a station and get the next one.