• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal_Box

Oh no, don't embrace the throw away society - we need to make things that last !.

You do realise the railway and country are a little thin on the ground financially and will be for at least a decade providing longer?! Keeping things going is going to be name of the game from now on.

Last Hurrah

How is overnight testing progressing ?

Have they ventured beyond Taffs Well Depot to Radyr ?

Running under the wires (& beyond) ?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’ll definitely be willing walk down to Cathays station and see one in the dead of night if they start testing them down there.

anthony263

Established Member
How is overnight testing progressing ?

Have they ventured beyond Taffs Well Depot to Radyr ?

Running under the wires (& beyond) ?
They been to Radyr and Pontypridd. Videos of them are on.youtube.
Probably won't be long before one ventures to Cardiff

Envoy

Established Member
You Tube video of engineers testing the 398’s:>

SWML9102

Impressed to hear that the new control centre is now providing signalling for trains on the Treherbet line. They do know the line is closed for at least another 6 months? Don't they...

DaiBee

Impressed to hear that the new control centre is now providing signalling for trains on the Treherbet line. They do know the line is closed for at least another 6 months? Don't they...

That's probably how they're able to do it.

Bob Price

Has the testing halted on these units? Looking at the schedules I can't see anything in for the past week or so. Are they trying to get the depot finished first before they go all out?

Has the testing halted on these units? Looking at the schedules I can't see anything in for the past week or so. Are they trying to get the depot finished first before they go all out?
Strikes willing I’m going to the Cardiff area for the first time in years. Are 398 numbers visible from passing trains, the platforms or elsewhere? There are reports of what can be seen but these may be from staff.
I’ll be staying in Barry. Are the 756s visible and if so from where?
Thanks

Western 52

Strikes willing I’m going to the Cardiff area for the first time in years. Are 398 numbers visible from passing trains, the platforms or elsewhere? There are reports of what can be seen but these may be from staff.
I’ll be staying in Barry. Are the 756s visible and if so from where?
Thanks
I saw some 398s from the station footbridge at Taff's Well last week, but not really close enough to identify them. At Barry you can see 756s from the down platform. Some at the depot and others in the sidings. Hard to identify most of them though and many weeds in the way of the sidings which obscure them.

I saw some 398s from the station footbridge at Taff's Well last week, but not really close enough to identify them. At Barry you can see 756s from the down platform. Some at the depot and others in the sidings. Hard to identify most of them though and many weeds in the way of the sidings which obscure them.
Extremely helpful, thanks.

Bob Price

Yes, you can stand on the foot bridge at Taffs Well and see them in the depot. You can also walk around from the station and see them from nearby roads. I did a video about Taffs Well if this is of help, the trams are at the end

Yes, you can stand on the foot bridge at Taffs Well and see them in the depot. You can also walk around from the station and see them from nearby roads. I did a video about Taffs Well if this is of help, the trams are at the end
Very interesting, thanks.

Avowedsevern

Excellent video, thanks for posting!

Bob Price

Looks like testing has started up again. There were runs last albeit late and truncated. Still wondering when they will head south of Radyr.

MikePJ

TfW have put out some consultation documents related to the introduction of the Class 398s - see attached. (The originals will be available here until Nov 10th). The second document gives detailed specs for the vehicles, which may be of interest.

However, the biggest piece of news is in the Proposed Timescales section (with my emphasis).

Proposed timescales
The first units were delivered to Taffs Well depot in March 2023.
Introduction in passenger service is expected no earlier than November 2024.
The proposed timetable for the implementation of this CVL Vehicle Change is:
1. Formal Sponsor's Notice (this document) – 23 August 2023
2. AIWL Industry Consultation issued – 23 September 2023 at latest
3. Consultation period ends – 23 November 2023 at latest
4. Entry into Service (EIS) (Cl 398) – 1 November 2024 at earliest

So - no 398s in service for at least a year.

Attachments

• CVLVC004 Standard Form C - CVL IM Vehicle Change notice to consultees - TFWRL Class 398.pdf
    150.9 KB · Views: 59
  • TfW CVL Vehicle Change proposal Class 398 v2.pdf
    777.7 KB · Views: 53
TfW have put out some consultation documents related to the introduction of the Class 398s - see attached. (The originals will be available here until Nov 10th). The second document gives detailed specs for the vehicles, which may be of interest.

However, the biggest piece of news is in the Proposed Timescales section (with my emphasis).

It's certainly longer than originally expected but not a surprise. Delivery of the units has been very slow, the depot is still not ready and we're nearly at the end of 2023.

I'm not sure how long driver training for the interim 756s will take, but I don't imagine they'll be on the CVL for very long before the 398s start.

The document showing routes for class 398 lists Queen St to Ystrad Mynach & Coryton. Isn't this new ??

MikePJ

The document showing routes for class 398 lists Queen St to Ystrad Mynach & Coryton. Isn't this new ??
These are routes requested for technical approval for the type. It seems likely that TfW would put every conceivable route that the 398s might use on it (though it raises the question about why they don't request approval to operate them to Rhymney!) but that doesn't mean they'll actually operate those routes.