• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW class 398 Stadler Citylink tram trains

positron

Might be indulging in a little bit of optimism but could coryton be in preparation for Coryton extension and tram usage? And Ystrad be for a future reopening (to passengers) of a line to Nelson and Trelewis using trams? Hence no need for Rhymney?

Back to reality it could be gradients to Rhymney being a blocker but I thought tram trains could handle steep gradients?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
Very disappointing that these tram-trains are not going to enter service until November 2024 at the earliest.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
As someone who has had to put up with tiny, cold leaky single 150s in Cardiff ever since I moved here for uni, it’s hard hitting to know the 398s will now be in use after I’ve graduated and no doubt cleared off…

Almost every day the Valleys have closed at six and I’ve had to walk or get a bus instead. That’s fair enough when you know you’re getting a big upgrade as a result, but for me personally that means that’s all been to no avail!

Jez

Established Member
Very disappointing that these tram-trains are not going to enter service until November 2024 at the earliest.
yes disappointing but at least they have been honest and given a realistic date.

As someone who has had to put up with tiny, cold leaky single 150s in Cardiff ever since I moved here for uni, it’s hard hitting to know the 398s will now be in use after I’ve graduated and no doubt cleared off…
You'll just have to come back to visit Cardiff and ride some! ;)

Dai Corner

Established Member
yes disappointing but at least they have been honest and given a realistic date.

You'll just have to come back to visit Cardiff and ride some! ;)
Or stay in Cardiff, get a job with TfW or TfW Rail and show them how the railways should be run?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Almost every day the Valleys have closed at six and I’ve had to walk or get a bus instead. That’s fair enough when you know you’re getting a big upgrade as a result, but for me personally that means that’s all been to no avail!
Flunk your finals or go for a postgraduate course !.

More realistically settle in Cardiff - its better than London (he says to the person who is only recently back from a thorough visit to Australia).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Flunk your finals or go for a postgraduate course !.

More realistically settle in Cardiff - its better than London (he says to the person who is only recently back from a thorough visit to Australia).
and would far rather do a masters there than in Wales ;)

Anyway, my personal snivelling aside, let’s hope the 756s can provide some temporary relief from the 150s.

Bob Price

The whole project has slipped as has everything thanks to the pandemic. I am not surprised the introduction has been pushed back. With regards to the Cheltenham Maesteg and Ebbw Vale services there will be a number of 153's, 175's and 150's displaced by the 197's being introduced so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mish mash of those on there, 756's on the Pontypridd valleys and 231's on the Rhymney. Then next year, when all is ready, get the 398's in

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The whole project has slipped as has everything thanks to the pandemic. I am not surprised the introduction has been pushed back. With regards to the Cheltenham Maesteg and Ebbw Vale services there will be a number of 153's, 175's and 150's displaced by the 197's being introduced so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mish mash of those on there, 756's on the Pontypridd valleys and 231's on the Rhymney. Then next year, when all is ready, get the 398's in
You must surely be aware by now that the 175s can't have their lease extended? They'll be gone by November.
756 on Pontypridd routes, cascading 150s to Caerphilly routes, cascading 231s to former 170/2 routes is what I read somewhere.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Story of my life -
D stock entered service just after my student commuting days to South Kensington ended CO/CP stock and R stock very much on its last legs.
Thameslink arrived shortly after I moved away from Herne Hill. 2SAPs were my daily commute.
Channel Tunnel opened a few months after my partner's posting to Brussels ended.
Direct services to Lincoln restored six months after the last family member who lived there passed away
Class 701s were supposed to have entered service before I retired - had 455s to the bitter end.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Story of my life -
D stock entered service just after my student commuting days to South Kensington ended CO/CP stock and R stock very much on its last legs.
Thameslink arrived shortly after I moved away from Herne Hill. 2SAPs were my daily commute.
Channel Tunnel opened a few months after my partner's posting to Brussels ended.
Direct services to Lincoln restored six months after the last family member who lived there passed away
Class 701s were supposed to have entered service before I retired - had 455s to the bitter end.
Warn me if you move to Croydon o_O.

Buzz68

20142 and 20189 on route to Pontypridd via Pengam Sidings tonight with 398004 from Old Dalby as 6Q21 then 6Q22

MDB1images

Have seen a post on social media saying 398014 & 398015 are at Taf Wells, anyone know when they arrived?

Buzz68

Have seen a post on social media saying 398014 & 398015 are at Taf Wells, anyone know when they arrived?
That was my post and I only saw them last Friday and I'd seen no posts on the usual channels to say they'd arrived. But doing some digging I think it was around the 14/15 December.

Slight change to this weeks move. 20142 and 20189 are on route to Old Dalby as we speak then to Radyr via Pengam Sidings tonight with an unknown 398. A 398 will then come from Taffs Well to Radyr to pick up the new 398 similar to the move to Ponty last week.

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
That was my post and I only saw them last Friday and I'd seen no posts on the usual channels to say they'd arrived. But doing some digging I think it was around the 14/15 December.

Slight change to this weeks move. 20142 and 20189 are on route to Old Dalby as we speak then to Radyr via Pengam Sidings tonight with an unknown 398. A 398 will then come from Taffs Well to Radyr to pick up the new 398 similar to the move to Ponty last week.
No acess to the platforms at Radyr but can be watched from the footbridge

The_Train

Established Member
Is anybody able to confirm whether 007 and then 010-015 have been out on test workings please?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

I believe this was meant to be delivery of 398005 if that helps, but now cancelled.

EDIT
6Q21 replaced by a late running 6Z21 back to Kings Norton !. So the move is off for now.

Last edited:

StripeyNick