• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Driver Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boydy

Passed the MMI today which was the final stage of assessments. Absolutely chuffed. Now sitting in a talent pool awaiting a course.

with a bit of luck covid calms down and I won’t be waiting to long :)

Anyone else in the same position?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mr Wayne

Congratulations Boydy,

I’m also in a TFW talent pool awaiting a medical & course, I’ve been in the pool since Feb this year. I’m also hoping for sooner rather than later & can’t wait to start the journey but my understanding is that this process within the rail industry moves slowly in normal times let alone the current.

I recently emailed for an update as TFW are further recruiting through Acorn more trainee drivers for various depots. (which I can interpret as a huge positive for the likes of ourselves already in a pool) The reply was fairly generic to which I’ll be contacted once a course becomes available. I’m realistically hoping for next year at the earliest.

Stigy

Established Member
Passed the MMI today which was the final stage of assessments. Absolutely chuffed. Now sitting in a talent pool awaiting a course.

Congrats!

It certainly can be a long drawn out process, and unfortunately talent pools don’t guarantee a job. Good luck to you both, hopefully you’ll get the call soon!

Boydy

I was asked if I would be available to start in October, covid permitting.

drawn out indeed, I applied in Jan 2019.

Slipper

Boydy, congratulations on passing your assessment. Quick question for you as I have my assessment on the 19th. The email I received mentions the assessment is paper-based. Can you confirm that the test is in two parts, on separate days, please? I seem to think this is the case now but can't find any mention of it.

If so the paper-based elements are Bourdon, TEA_Occ, TRP (part 1 and 2), correct? And the MMI will be at the end of the computer assessment day if I pass assessment day 1, correct?

Thanks for any clarification

regards

slipper

Mr Wayne

Hi Slipper,

The assessment day as I understand for ATW was one full day but it is now split into two separate half days which was the case for myself in January this year. The first part being paper based & the second computerised part followed by a MMI held in Cardiff. Best of luck for the 19th, the whole process is an experience but one that is a throughly enjoyable one.

Mr Wayne

The industry is in unprecedented times & the training depts are having to adapt to the covid workplace. I would say to be very patient as TFW have a large amount of trainees at various stages of the training process that have to restart / catch up there training before any new classes start. The training schools haven't reopened yet, they have lots of planning to put in place new practices. Even before covid the recruitment process took a long time ! Good luck to the new recruits & like I've said just be very patient

Thanks for the post Wobman, it’s appreciated as it sounds like your the other side or have an inside view hypothetically so to speak from TFW.

Boydy

for me it was over three days. First visit paper tests, second visit computer based tests, third visit mmi.

Slipper

Mr Wayne and Boydy, thanks very much for your replies and helping to clarify things.

Regards to you both

Slipper

Arvi

Congratulations Boydy,

I’m also in a TFW talent pool awaiting a medical & course, I’ve been in the pool since Feb this year. I’m also hoping for sooner rather than later & can’t wait to start the journey but my understanding is that this process within the rail industry moves slowly in normal times let alone the current.

I recently emailed for an update as TFW are further recruiting through Acorn more trainee drivers for various depots. (which I can interpret as a huge positive for the likes of ourselves already in a pool) The reply was fairly generic to which I’ll be contacted once a course becomes available. I’m realistically hoping for next year at the earliest.
for me it was over three days. First visit paper tests, second visit computer based tests, third visit mmi.
for me it was over three days. First visit paper tests, second visit computer based tests, third visit

Last edited:

Arvi

Congratulations Boydy,

Hi Wayne

Welldone for making it to the Talent pool

You really must be excited and waiting for the Training to begin
I have applied for Trainee train driver at TfW at Shrewsbury depot
I currently work full long hours in a totally different industry

Could you please tell me what exactly formed the Paper test and what exactly formed the computer test?
Looks like the tests are not standard across the industry and every TOC seems to be doing a slight varation

I am afraid when TfW send out the info pack i may not have enough time to prepare

Your help will be really appreciated

Thanking you in advance
Arvi

Mr Wayne

Hi Arvi,

You’ve asked a lot of questions on a few different threads.

I’m still new to this forum as a member but I utilised it beforehand as a guest with my last trainee train driver application & made it to the talent pool. I will say most of the answers to your questions are already on here & I spent a lot of time researching like I’m sure many other applicants do. I don’t feel it’s fair to the TOC’s/FOC’s process nor other applicants to tell you on a plate “what exactly formed the paper & computerised tests” I feel it’s doing your homework for you so to speak.

Re: Your original thread posted on Sunday 09/08/20. The research stated you’ve done is accurate & the sound differentiation test (high & low beeps) was included in my testing earlier this year for TFW. The tests are standard across the industry from what I understand & from that a standard is set for all TOC/FOC’S (some require enhanced pass marks) There is online testing too for some companies (I passed some rather nasty tests for a FOC in 2018 then to fail at a DMI)

I appreciate your trying to be proactive & I sense your enthusiasm but IF your application is successful to that stage you will be sent a work booklet via email to practice, practice, practice. I too work in a different industry & work long hours but you will find the time if you want it badly enough. Before that though you’ve got to get your application sifted into the yes pile then potentially a phone interview to pass & a DMI. It took myself 3 or 4 separate job applications to get to where I am currently, it can be a long road.

Best of luck

Arvi

Hi Arvi,

You’ve asked a lot of questions on a few different threads.

I’m still new to this forum as a member but I utilised it beforehand as a guest with my last trainee train driver application & made it to the talent pool. I will say most of the answers to your questions are already on here & I spent a lot of time researching like I’m sure many other applicants do. I don’t feel it’s fair to the TOC’s/FOC’s process nor other applicants to tell you on a plate “what exactly formed the paper & computerised tests” I feel it’s doing your homework for you so to speak.

Re: Your original thread posted on Sunday 09/08/20. The research stated you’ve done is accurate & the sound differentiation test (high & low beeps) was included in my testing earlier this year for TFW. The tests are standard across the industry from what I understand & from that a standard is set for all TOC/FOC’S (some require enhanced pass marks) There is online testing too for some companies (I passed some rather nasty tests for a FOC in 2018 then to fail at a DMI)

I appreciate your trying to be proactive & I sense your enthusiasm but IF your application is successful to that stage you will be sent a work booklet via email to practice, practice, practice. I too work in a different industry & work long hours but you will find the time if you want it badly enough. Before that though you’ve got to get your application sifted into the yes pile then potentially a phone interview to pass & a DMI. It took myself 3 or 4 separate job applications to get to where I am currently, it can be a long road.

Best of luck
Hi Wayne
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry and understanding my eagerness and enthusiasm

I only discovered this forum by accident and to be really honest assumed that by asking direct questions i would get direct answers.
Hand across my heart that was my assumption . Really sorry for coming across this way

I would like to thank you for pointing it out to me and further more giving me valuable insight.

Wishing you all the best and regards
Arvi

Dan61

ive had an email from TFW today which appeared in junk mail stating please confirm National insurance number, once recieved we will be in touch regarding next stage of the recruitment process

Shameless J

Well done Boydy.

I passed mine on the the same day. Hopefully be sooner rather than later.

Plm87

Well Done both
I have first assessment on Tuesday for TfW. It says it's paper tests but then also says to expect to do all the tests that are contained in the booklet. Will the MMI happen at the end of the first assessment day? I just want to be prepared.

Thanks

ILoveLamp

Well Done both
I have first assessment on Tuesday for TfW. It says it's paper tests but then also says to expect to do all the tests that are contained in the booklet. Will the MMI happen at the end of the first assessment day? I just want to be prepared.

Thanks
If it says that you may get one, I’d prepare for one, you never know how these things are going at present. Covid seems to have upset the natural order of things. Imagine if you never prepared for one then they threw one in?? Could be game over right there! Good luck, where you in for?

tomnpt83

Does anyone know where in Cardiff the medical takes place? Had the phone call telling me the date, time and stating there would be a follow up email/post detailing the details. I haven’t had either. So I know when it is just don’t know where!?

Robbie88

Does anyone know where in Cardiff the medical takes place? Had the phone call telling me the date, time and stating there would be a follow up email/post detailing the details. I haven’t had either. So I know when it is just don’t know where!?
Its literally opposite tiger tiger on greyfriars Road.

Robbie88

Medigold is the company that carries out the medicals. Looking on Google maps that looks like it's the correct building.

craigybagel

Established Member

Give recruitment a ring just in case, TfW use a variety of different firms and locations for medicals and just because it was done at one place recently doesn't mean anything for next time. On my course there were two of us who were guards going driving at our depot, and we got sent for medicals 30 miles apart.

Octopus28

Asking on behalf of my mate who isn’t on here! There isn’t a thread on it but does anyone know the T&C’s for a qualified driver at Chester TFW. Also what the training rate is going in as a qualified driver?

ILoveLamp

I had recently passed my paper (August) & got invited to the computer but my current company messed me about so much I was unable to make that date. I was told there weren’t any further dates left & would be in touch when there were more but just feel helpless now hearing so many others coming through. Hopefully I am still being considered & hear something soon.
On the other TfW thread, PavanAcorn (the recruitment agency poster) posted to say they are shortening the current advert date but that there is positive movements with those in the process, so I’d imagine there will be a date for you. I’d just keep regular email contact with TfW recruitment until you get a date. Which depot you in for?

Status
Not open for further replies.