• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW found to be worst TOC in the UK

opinion on tfw services

• happy

Votes: 41 21.9%
  • neutral

Votes: 78 41.7%
  • unhappy

Votes: 68 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluejays

There are now only 2 unmodified 153's in service, that's completely unrefurbished in the original state they arrived from the previous operator. These 2 will be getting full PRM mods in the next few weeks (Including toilets). All of the prm light mods, which is basically all prm accessible modifications except the toilet change are either complete or the final 2 are currently in Landore.
In terms of reliability of the train, the PRM mods make no difference, it's still the same under the carriage. PRM mods are just making them more accessible and easy to use for persons with reduced mobility.

This would make total sense in the short term. However dispensation for these units means they would need to go the PRM light modifications before being allowed into service. Dispensation runs out the end of this month for unmodified units. It's not just about toilets, it's about signage and the ability for persons with reduced mobility to navigate the train.
That would mean more expensive for a very short term solution. The PRM mods take around 3-4 weeks. The program is still ongoing until around the end of January. That means any additional units that would be taken on wouldn't be in service until around March time. To get say 4 units done and in service with mods would likely be around May/June time, which is when the new fleet will likely start going into service, which I can't see TfW justifying the cost.

The current refurbishment state is:
175 - The last 175 is in for refurbishment and should be done by the end of this month
158 - Currently 1 in and I think 2 more 158's to be done which should be done by around February
153 - Currently 2 in and 2 more 153's to get the full mods (with toilet) which should be done around February.
150 - Currently 1 in and a long term ongoing program.

That means by February there will be 4 additional units back in service. The common sense choice should be to postpone the 150 refurb program until the middle of next year
The only way it works is if they can get dispensation to run them without any mods. I do think that with tfw problems being front page, they could have a chance of getting that signed off

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
The only way it works is if they can get dispensation to run them without any mods. I do think that with tfw problems being front page, they could have a chance of getting that signed off
Whilst I thought that TfW should just scoop up however many 153s they can to bin off the 769s asap, I agree with an earlier post that it's not feasible now due to PRM mods.
TfW won't be running any trains that do not meet PRM requirements beyond 31/12, and given the fractious relationship between the UK and Welsh governments, the DfT will not go out of their way to help Wales and grant more PRM dispensations, no matter how strong the case is for more.

The best TfW can do now is get the 231s running on the Rhymney line asap to bin off the 769s, if that plan is the thinking at the moment within the company.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think we are done with the original topic.

As for what TfL should do next, please feel free to use the following thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.