• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

Tevion539

Honestly, I don't have an answer as I don't have to test with TFW... I done mine with other TOCs, but you shouldn't be waiting an obscene amount of time. Someone on my course mentioned a week... While someone else had to wait a couple... Although, I could also be completely off. They could email you as soon as the next day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ratdog77

Hi,

Have you done the SCAAT, RAAT and Ticket Selling/Checking assessments? I've been in the role a while now, and it has changed since I done it.

As far as I'm aware, they did introduce a "roleplay" assessment recently which is designed to test your ability to be confident and work as part of a team. I'm sure others will reply soon confirming this or not.
Hi, was awaiting the Scaat test, but then to my surprise was invited to a assessment day. Caught me a bit off guard! The day consists of a

Written communication test
Group activity
Customer service role play
Interview

Hi, was awaiting the Scaat test, but then to my surprise was invited to a assessment day. Caught me a bit off guard! The day consists of a

Group activity
Interview
If anyone has any tips, advice, would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Tevion539

Group activity
Interview

If anyone has any tips, advice, would be much appreciated!
The assessment day was introduced after I'd started training... But, you should try and be confident throughout the day and during any group sessions take on board what others have to say... It goes without saying they're looking for your communication and teamworking skills....

Otherwise I really can't advise further as I have zero idea what's included. Maybe someone who was in the process after me.

Ratdog77

The assessment day was introduced after I'd started training... But, you should try and be confident throughout the day and during any group sessions take on board what others have to say... It goes without saying they're looking for your communication and teamworking skills....

Otherwise I really can't advise further as I have zero idea what's included. Maybe someone who was in the process after me.
OK, thanks for the info!

Tevion539

Does anyone have a rough time frame of when I'd head my result from a scaat assessment? And would I still hear even if I fail?
I wouldn't see any reason for them not to tell you if you aren't successful. I can't give a timescale myself, hopefully someone comes along soon with a better answer.

Last edited:

Tevion539

Hi all. Did my initial SCAAT assessment a week ago on Friday (4/8/23) and I still haven't heard anything back is this normal?
From what I gather it is, if you're concerned email recruitment asking if they have an update. What was the date on the email that you needed to complete it by?

mugatneysface

Panic over guys I passed the SCAAT! Now for my next question...does anyone have the pdf for the demo RAAT assessment from the OPC guys or just let me know if its worth buying?

Tevion539

Panic over guys I passed the SCAAT! Now for my next question...does anyone have the pdf for the demo RAAT assessment from the OPC guys or just let me know if its worth buying?
The RAAT is a verbal reasoning style test. You have a statement and you have to select an answer based on the statement. Only you can decide if it's worth buying anything to practice :D good luck!

Docherty97

Hi all,

Is anyone starting their course on the 9th October for Cardiff?

Pending my medical on the 22nd, I’ll be starting.

Thanks,

Lewis

Railway1642

Hi all,

Thanks,

Lewis
Morning Lewis,

I’m in a talent pool, just out of internet, how much notice did they give you of a start date?

Hope your medical and course go well.

All the best

Conc2023

Hi all,

Thanks,

Lewis
Hi.. Congratulations on a start date.. fantastic news..As a matter of interest can you say when you were placed in a talent pool?

Tevion539

Morning Lewis,

I’m in a talent pool, just out of internet, how much notice did they give you of a start date?

All the best
can personally say I had about 1-2 months notice. They're typically mindful of notice periods etc.
Hi.. Congratulations on a start date.. fantastic news..As a matter of interest can you say when you were placed in a talent pool?
I was personally in the talent pool about four weeks. It's depot and need dependant, some people were in it for 18 months.

Docherty97

Morning Lewis,

All the best

Evening buddy,

I had my assessment day on the 2nd August, and was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August.

I was contacted on the 15th August advising a start date of the 9th October, pending my medical.

I was shocked at the turn around!

Thanks for the well wishes :)

I was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August 2023 :)

Railway1642

Evening buddy,

I had my assessment day on the 2nd August, and was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August.

I was contacted on the 15th August advising a start date of the 9th October, pending my medical.

I was shocked at the turn around!

Thanks for the well wishes :)

I was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August 2023 :)
Thanks for all the info again.

Which depots are people going to be based at on your course?

Docherty97

Thanks for all the info again.

Which depots are people going to be based at on your course?

I'm not entirely sure, but when I find out, I'll let you know :)

I was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August :)

Last edited:

Giard

I'm not entirely sure, but when I find out, I'll let you know :)

I was placed in the talent pool on the 9th August :)
Cardiff tends to have a higher turn around - as others move into new positions etc. Did they not tell you when you accepted the course?
Give recruitment an email, or call the person that called you and confirm your depot if you are anxious to know. On your course you may find you will have people from other depots too. Enjoy your course, Lewis. Good luck!

Dav182

Hi all. Did my initial SCAAT assessment a week ago on Friday (4/8/23) and I still haven't heard anything back is this normal?
Hi, how long after you submitted your application did it take for you to be invited for the SCAAT test? Sent my application couple of weeks ago and was just wondering how long I can expect to wait.

lewiscymru

Morning all new to this forum but just want to thank you all for the advice that has been added on here by everyone really has helped with the application process regarding what to expect for the conductor role.

Passed my medical recently and I am on the course too Lewis on 9th October.

Really excited to start

Thanks all

Lewis

Railway1642

Morning all new to this forum but just want to thank you all for the advice that has been added on here by everyone really has helped with the application process regarding what to expect for the conductor role.

Really excited to start

Thanks all

Lewis
All the best for your Course. Which depot will you be based at?

mugatneysface

Hi, how long after you submitted your application did it take for you to be invited for the SCAAT test? Sent my application couple of weeks ago and was just wondering how long I can expect to wait.
Hi buddy. I applied on the Thursday and heard back on the Monday with the invitation for my SCAAT assessment. Might be worth you contacting the recruitment team at tfw but other than that I don't know what to say I'm afraid. Best of luck tho fella

Really excited to start

Thanks all

Lewis

hey mate well done, drop me a dm if you can.

mugatneysface

Anyone know of any way I could practise for the TCT test? OPC don't offer a practise to buy but do offer a TCST (Ticket checking and selling test) and was wondering if the 2 are that different?

Really excited to start

Thanks all

Lewis
Hi buddy. Well done on passing through everything. Just a quick question are you going to be based down Cardiff for the training or does training take place at the depot your allocated to?

Last edited:

lewiscymru

hey mate well done, drop me a dm if you can.
Sorry mate new to this forum not sure how to dm

Anyone know of any way I could practise for the TCT test? OPC don't offer a practise to buy but do offer a TCST (Ticket checking and selling test) and was wondering if the 2 are that different?

Hi buddy. Well done on passing through everything. Just a quick question are you going to be based down Cardiff for the training or does training take place at the depot your allocated to?
Cheers Im just based in Cardiff for the training and then off to my depot.