• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW - Trainee Conductors - Various Locations (31/03/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lewiscymru

Brilliant cheers fella. I know I'm firing a lot of questions your way but how long is the training?
No worries will try an answer what I can :) its 6 months my understanding combination of classroom training and out and about

Well done bud! Good luck with the course, and enjoy it!
Cheers new path careerwise for me. Nervous for the course as sounds intense from what people saying but the job really does look exiciting

Last edited:

Tevion539

No worries will try an answer what I can :) its 6 months my understanding combination of classroom training and out and about

Cheers new path careerwise for me. Nervous for the course as sounds intense from what people saying but the job really does look exiciting
It is intense, and it will require some dedication to learn everything required of you to pass your rules. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and remember there is no stupid questions. I love the job myself.

mugatneysface

You've come this far fella so I'm sure you'll fly through it! Best of luck with everything and fingers crossed if I get through the application process I'll be seeing you at some point in the future

Tevion539

Exactly this. To get through everything and get to the stage you're at is a good sign. Put in the work and you'll be fine. If anyone needs any help, as I've offered previously DMs are always open

Lea84

Good evening all

New to this forum so please bear with me.

I submitted my application form for trainee conductor on 3/8/23 . I checked the portal last Thursday and current stage stated “conductor online tests” but hadn’t received any email inviting me to complete any tests , I checked again the following day ( Friday 18th) stage had changed to “ shortlisting”

Has anyone else experienced anything similar ?

Thanks all!

Good evening all

New to this forum so please bear with me.

I submitted my application form for trainee conductor on 3/8/23 . I checked the portal last Thursday and current stage stated “conductor online tests” but hadn’t received any email inviting me to complete any tests , I checked again the following day ( Friday 18th) stage had changed to “ shortlisting”

Has anyone else experienced anything similar ?

Thanks all!

Have you checked your spam?
Every email I had was blocked.

Lea84

Have you checked your spam?
Every email I had was blocked.
Yep, nothing . I’m confused as to why the status changed within 24 hours. Maybe I’ll pop them an email , just incase there’s something wrong my end , or it could be that my application is unsuccessful and not updated on the portal yet.
Thanks for your response

Tevion539

Yep, nothing . I’m confused as to why the status changed within 24 hours. Maybe I’ll pop them an email , just incase there’s something wrong my end , or it could be that my application is unsuccessful and not updated on the portal yet.
Thanks for your response
You might be better asking recruitment on this. [email protected]

mugatneysface

Afternoon all. I'm due to sit the TCT (Ticket Checking Test) before Monday and was wondering if anyone could rum me through how the test is formatted? Do you get a reference card and do you need to know peak times etc before starting?

MON 76

Is anyone aware of courses in Chester that may be running again in October or November this Year and confirmed dates? Heard rumble that there could be 2 running for Guards for Llandudno junction , Crewe and chester, Cheers

Last edited:

mugatneysface

Hey all. I've recently taken my TCT and I'm wondering if that fact I don't currently have a driving license come up if I get to interview? By test is booked for October but just want to be prepared

L401CJF

Established Member
Hey all. I've recently taken my TCT and I'm wondering if that fact I don't currently have a driving license come up if I get to interview? By test is booked for October but just want to be prepared
You arnt required to have a license for the role, but they will want to know how you intend to get to/from work in time for all shift times early late etc.

Obviously if you're within walking distance, cycle distance and so on that's fine, but make sure you have a method to get in for all book on/off hours!

mugatneysface

You arnt required to have a license for the role, but they will want to know how you intend to get to/from work in time for all shift times early late etc.

Obviously if you're within walking distance, cycle distance and so on that's fine, but make sure you have a method to get in for all book on/off hours!
Lovely thank you for putting my mind at ease! Recieved an email stating I had been successful in my online tests and that I will hear in 3-4 weeks on the next steps of my application. From reading this forum I'm assuming I'm up for the group assessment next. Don't suppose you got any advice for that buddy have you?

L401CJF

Established Member
Lovely thank you for putting my mind at ease! Recieved an email stating I had been successful in my online tests and that I will hear in 3-4 weeks on the next steps of my application. From reading this forum I'm assuming I'm up for the group assessment next. Don't suppose you got any advice for that buddy have you?
When I was in the process it was during the reduced covid period where half of the assessments etc didnt happen, so I didnt do a group assessment! - Sure others on here can give a bit of insight - I would imagine its about communication/teamwork etc etc.

mugatneysface

When I was in the process it was during the reduced covid period where half of the assessments etc didnt happen, so I didnt do a group assessment! - Sure others on here can give a bit of insight - I would imagine its about communication/teamwork etc etc.
Brilliant cheers buddy!

Is there anyone here that could break down what the group assessment day involves?

Tevion539

Brilliant cheers buddy!

Is there anyone here that could break down what the group assessment day involves?
These started again just after I started...

As far as I know, there's a group exercise where you have to communicate with other candidates. You have to be confident in what you're saying/doing but you shouldn't be dismissive of others. Work as a team etc.

As for the actual contents I'm not sure... @CubeStereo might know. But whether they still use the forums is another question :lol:

mugatneysface

These started again just after I started...

As far as I know, there's a group exercise where you have to communicate with other candidates. You have to be confident in what you're saying/doing but you shouldn't be dismissive of others. Work as a team etc.

As for the actual contents I'm not sure... @CubeStereo might know. But whether they still use the forums is another question :lol:
That's great thank you for that buddy

Sure everyone on here is sick of me asking questions so sorry about that haha. If I were to be successful in my interview but still have a long wait in the talent pool. After 24 months is the offer void or would I be in the talent pool indefinitely?

Last edited:

L401CJF

Established Member
That's great thank you for that buddy

Sure everyone on here is sick of me asking questions so sorry about that haha. If I were to be successful in my interview but still have a long wait in the talent pool. After 24 months is the offer void or would I be in the talent pool indefinitely?
I believe after the 24months in the talent pool runs out you have to reapply and start from square 1!

Dav182

Hi buddy. I applied on the Thursday and heard back on the Monday with the invitation for my SCAAT assessment. Might be worth you contacting the recruitment team at tfw but other than that I don't know what to say I'm afraid. Best of luck tho fella
Thank you, heard back Monday and was invited to do a SCAAT test. How much of it did you complete? I purchased the practice ones and I am getting about half way and only missing one or two.

mugatneysface

Thank you, heard back Monday and was invited to do a SCAAT test. How much of it did you complete? I purchased the practice ones and I am getting about half way and only missing one or two.
About 3/4 I'd have to say buddy but I know for a fact I made 1 or 2 mistakes. I've seen online people saying that they've only done 6 or 7 lines and they've passed so with any luck you'll be grand! Best of luck fella

Dav182

About 3/4 I'd have to say buddy but I know for a fact I made 1 or 2 mistakes. I've seen online people saying that they've only done 6 or 7 lines and they've passed so with any luck you'll be grand! Best of luck fella
I’ve just been invited to do the RAAT test, so assuming I passed the SCAAT. Did you purchase any of the practice programs for the RAAT test? If not any suggestions on how to prepare?

Tevion539

I’ve just been invited to do the RAAT test, so assuming I passed the SCAAT. Did you purchase any of the practice programs for the RAAT test? If not any suggestions on how to prepare?
The RAAT is essentially verbal reasoning. You have a statement and answers relevant to the statement. I'm sure you can find free practice verbal reasoning tests online. Otherwise as said multiple times, they're looking for consistency and accuracy over speed. Remember that and you'll be fine. Just don't go at snails pace :lol:

Also - it does mean you passed. You will not be invited to the next test if you fail one as you're required to pass them all.

mugatneysface

Same as Tevion above me said. I purchased the samples and found them to be useful in terms of how the questions are formatted. Yeah this means you've passed the SCAAT well done!

Tevion539

Thank you both! Last question about it… is it timed like the SCAAT test?
It is, but again, don't worry if you don't answer all the questions. Just make sure you get them right and answer as many as you can.

I would also contact the forum support and get your name changed.

Boozle78

I can see it’s changed to shortlisting on the Chester application in the portal. Anyone heard anything yet?