• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW (Trainee Train Driver Cardiff and Chester_

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonO

Hi everyone,

I’ve been invited to an assessment day for Chester in a few weeks. They’ve clearly said it will be the paper tests then, and if successful, computer tests will follow in Cardiff.

Just wondering if anybody knows at which point should I expect the MMI? I’d like to be as prepared as possible for this part of the process! Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I’ve been invited to an assessment day for Chester in a few weeks. They’ve clearly said it will be the paper tests then, and if successful, computer tests will follow in Cardiff.

Just wondering if anybody knows at which point should I expect the MMI? I’d like to be as prepared as possible for this part of the process! Thanks

Normally it's done after all of the computer tests, but everything is a bit different at the moment obviously so I wouldn't guarantee that

ILoveLamp

Hi everyone,

With some people on here saying they are in assessment this week it sounds like you have an age to prep for the paper tests! Should see you through that part at least with weeks to prepare for it!

From reading posts from those that have been through the process earlier in the year I’d say there would be an interview at the end of computer tests, but with all these Covid changes who knows for sure? I’d make sure you pass the first part first, but with weeks to prepare, you should be well up on the paper tests. When you in?

Last edited:

LeonO

With some people on here saying they are in assessment this week it sounds like you have an age to prep for the paper tests! Should see you through that part at least with weeks to prepare for it!

From reading posts from those that have been through the process earlier in the year I’d say there would be an interview at the end of computer tests, but with all these Covid changes who knows for sure? I’d make sure you pass the first part first, but with weeks to prepare, you should be well up on the paper tests. When you in?

Thanks for your reply, I’m thinking MMI will be further in the process after reading the different threads, but I’m going to prepare for it just in case.

I’m in next Tuesday 18th! I received the email Friday just gone, so a decent amount of time to prepare!

Arvi

Thanks for your reply, I’m thinking MMI will be further in the process after reading the different threads, but I’m going to prepare for it just in case.

I’m in next Tuesday 18th! I received the email Friday just gone, so a decent amount of time to prepare!

Hi leon
Welldone for getting to the MMI stage and wishing you all the best

Could be please shade some light as to what exactly constituted the paper and what formed the computer part of the test ?

Every ToC seems to be doing it differently and i have applied for Trainee train driver position with TfW for Shrewsbury.

I currently work very long hours and need to start preparing with the limited time that i have

Thanking you in advance
Arvi

flowcoach

Hi leon
Welldone for getting to the MMI stage and wishing you all the best

Could be please shade some light as to what exactly constituted the paper and what formed the computer part of the test ?

Every ToC seems to be doing it differently and i have applied for Trainee train driver position with TfW for Shrewsbury.

I currently work very long hours and need to start preparing with the limited time that i have

Thanking you in advance
Arvi

Dear Arvi,

The are at least three reasons why, although you have asked this questions repeatedly, nobody on the forum has answered you directly.

The first is that all the information you could ever need is available to you if you read the "Becoming a train driver" thread at the top and the TfW threads that already exist.

The second is that before you get to the tests you will have to get through something like a phone interview and a face-to-face interview. So your preparation time for the tests is not really limited. They are months away.

And the third is that many people who read this thread are likely to be in competition with you so might not feel obliged to help you if you have not really been helping yourself. In fact, like me, they probably read ALL the TfW threads, so they might have noticed that you have already asked this question in at least three of them.

Please read through the threads. It's well worth it.

Best regards,

flowcoach

Arvi

Dear Arvi,

The are at least three reasons why, although you have asked this questions repeatedly, nobody on the forum has answered you directly.

The first is that all the information you could ever need is available to you if you read the "Becoming a train driver" thread at the top and the TfW threads that already exist.

The second is that before you get to the tests you will have to get through something like a phone interview and a face-to-face interview. So your preparation time for the tests is not really limited. They are months away.

And the third is that many people who read this thread are likely to be in competition with you so might not feel obliged to help you if you have not really been helping yourself. In fact, like me, they probably read ALL the TfW threads, so they might have noticed that you have already asked this question in at least three of them.

Please read through the threads. It's well worth it.

Best regards,

flowcoach

Dear Flowcoach

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.
All your points are noted and do make full sense.

I recently discovered this forum almost by accident and was not even sure how to go about it hence more the reason that your points above are so valid. Please accept my apologies for coming across this way

Your advice is fully noted
Thank you once again
Arvi

Claire-r

I’m in for Chester Had an acknowledgement and then sent links for an application process.
a friend had the same. He has recently received a no thank you e mail from Acorn.
I’ve heard nothing so far.
Plodstar what do u mean your friend had a no thank you and how long had they been waiting?

Plodster

Plodstar what do u mean your friend had a no thank you and how long had they been waiting?
This was from the March round of applications
My mate had a no thanks e mail then a few days later was invited to an interview
I was sifted from that round

dan_156

You know how many people make the grade from each round of recruitment, you do have to be in it to win it but I do feel some people are waiting daily by emails knowing there’s thousands of people who have applied some better suited for the role and some not, things are never quick on the railway. If your background is suitable you shouldn’t need to worry....

Bazzale

For everyone that has been successful in getting passed the application stage what sort of back ground do you come from do you have previous public transport experience etc does jobs such as a bus driver give you a advantage over others

Anon87

For everyone that has been successful in getting passed the application stage what sort of back ground do you come from do you have previous public transport experience etc does jobs such as a bus driver give you a advantage over others
I’m not sure it comes down to specific industries - I think it’s just if you’ve gained certain relevant transferable skills during your career.

For instance, my background is in transport planning where each of my roles have been safety critical. I’ve been involved in creating and implementing safety processes as well as having a fair amount of customer relations responsibilities.

Everyone will have a different story to tell and will have achieved these skills differently.

Claire-r

What you guys also need to remember is that, they will be very picky and will only choose the best person who will more likely be suited. You could have the perfect CV, but its down to what you have written on that application form that matters. I’m a very patient person and I’m not panicking nor complaining about ”the company’s too slow or why haven’t I heard anything etc. The sifting takes a long time and the company need to make sure they are happy to invite the right person to interview. Yes I want to be a train driver but I will sit back and wait their decision. If it’s meant to be then one can only hope.

Good luck to everyone on here who has applied and if I am successful, then love to meet you someday

Bazzale

What you guys also need to remember is that, they will be very picky and will only choose the best person who will more likely be suited. You could have the perfect CV, but its down to what you have written on that application form that matters. I’m a very patient person and I’m not panicking nor complaining about ”the company’s too slow or why haven’t I heard anything etc. The sifting takes a long time and the company need to make sure they are happy to invite the right person to interview. Yes I want to be a train driver but I will sit back and wait their decision. If it’s meant to be then one can only hope.

Good luck to everyone on here who has applied and if I am successful, then love to meet you someday
I done my application in July

I done the application In July and have had a few emails from acorn with updates but not yet about any further advancement of being successful or not I stumbled across this today and iv seen some people who has applied about the same time as I did have been successful and have moved onto the next stage I was just starting to wonder does that mean there’s bad news coming my way lol

Claire-r

I done my application in July

I done the application In July and have had a few emails from acorn with updates but not yet about any further advancement of being successful or not I stumbled across this today and iv seen some people who has applied about the same time as I did have been successful and have moved onto the next stage I was just starting to wonder does that mean there’s bad news coming my way lol
Everyone that has applied would be thinking the same thing. I cannot speak for the company but for now is to try and remain positive and stop thinking bad news is coming your way. Time to worry is when you received that Email saying thank you for applying but your not what we’re looking for. The best thing you can do is carry on as normal and hope you receive a positive message.

Everyone that has applied would be thinking the same thing. I cannot speak for the company but for now is to try and remain positive and stop thinking bad news is coming your way. Time to worry is when you received that Email saying thank you for applying but your not what we’re looking for. The best thing you can do is carry on as normal and hope you receive a positive message.

A positive message in itself.

mstrwvr

Same here. The reassuring "We are still assessing applications...." emails that seemed to be coming at least once a week now seem to have dried up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.