• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thames cable car work to start in summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atomicdanny

Personally I think it'll be an eyesore just like the shard (but that's only my opinion), although it would probably bring more money into London of course even though its looks pointless (to me that is!)

anthony263

Established Member
I do admit this is pointless, i am actually surprised they are building it as i thought i was just a joke when it was first suggested.

ushawk

Established Member
I do admit this is pointless, i am actually surprised they are building it as i thought i was just a joke when it was first suggested.

Exactly what i think, i think a boat link would be been better, but even thats a bit pointless.

Yew

Established Member
Have the navy ships tha thave been scrapped, make a bridge out of them, then float it away after the event.

And cablecars are cool

sprinterguy

Established Member
And cablecars are cool

A zip wire would be even more fun though!

Ever since first hearing about it, this has struck me as a strange project, destined to be as much of a white elephant as the Dome which it will serve. There have got to be better ways of making a pedestrian cross-river link around this area. And while the risk of it interfering with flight paths at London Airport is claimed to be as low as one incident every fifteen million years, it still strikes me as bizarre to install a set of steel cables up in the sky so close to an airport. I mean, have you seen the artists’ impressions? It’s absolutely massive!

WestCoast

Established Member
I am very surprised at the ambitious timescale they are aiming to work to, to be honest I have a strong feeling that it won't be completed by the Oympics! Also, if it's being paid for by TfL I should expect it to have integrated fares..

Still the London area will now have an Underground railway, an Overground railway, buses, trams, boats, a Light railway and now a cable car!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Funnily enough, the orginal promise of it being entirely pribvately financed has come to naught, so it will be publically financed. I've read that even if it was at maximum capacity all the time, and charging £3.50 a ride(!), it still would fail to make back the OPERATING costs, let alone the capital.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I am very surprised at the ambitious timescale they are aiming to work to, to be honest I have a strong feeling that it won't be completed by the Oympics! Also, if it's being paid for by TfL I should expect it to have integrated fares..

Still the London area will now have an Underground railway, an Overground railway, buses, trams, boats, a Light railway and now a cable car!

Precious little information available on likely fares, but TfL have said it will accept oyster.

Not an obvious flow (with connections...) that many people are likely to want to do though, I wouldn't have thought.

junglejames

Established Member
Funnily enough, the orginal promise of it being entirely pribvately financed has come to naught, so it will be publically financed. I've read that even if it was at maximum capacity all the time, and charging £3.50 a ride(!), it still would fail to make back the OPERATING costs, let alone the capital.

Hate to think what those operating costs are then. Either that or it wont have much capacity!

Even if it did cover operating costs though, i wouldnt expect it to cover the original capital. I dont expect anything like this to cover the original capital.
Certainly not when maintenance is taken into account.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Hate to think what those operating costs are then. Either that or it wont have much capacity!

Even if it did cover operating costs though, i wouldnt expect it to cover the original capital. I dont expect anything like this to cover the original capital.
Certainly not when maintenance is taken into account.

Pathetically small capacity

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Interesting. Not sure its really needed, but i'll definitely go on it!

As a frustrated user of the often-suspended eastern end of the Jubilee Line, at least it makes for an alternative commuting option...

Mind you, now the weather's warmer, the Thames Clipper fast catamarans are the only way to travel - and they have a bar on board. Morning rush-hour beer...
:D

anthony263

Established Member
I am going to place a bet that this will not be completed in time for the olympic's. pity they didnt have a monorail now that would be interesting

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, I thought it was a joke as well. It saves having to build a swing bridge to let the river traffic through, although something like the tilting bridge in Newcastle would be OK. I'll have a go on it, but it does seem a bit silly.

rb311

Like another pointless transport project, I am surprised that no one has said it will free up capacity on existing thames crossings.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Well, I thought it was a joke as well. It saves having to build a swing bridge to let the river traffic through, although something like the tilting bridge in Newcastle would be OK. I'll have a go on it, but it does seem a bit silly.

It would need to be quite a high tilting bridge to avoid adding restrictions to the river- there's quite a few fairly large sailing yachts live up river of Greenwich. Any crossings created are not allowed to reduce the clearence available.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It would need to be quite a high tilting bridge to avoid adding restrictions to the river- there's quite a few fairly large sailing yachts live up river of Greenwich. Any crossings created are not allowed to reduce the clearence available.
The clearance offered by the Millenium Bridge between Gateshead and Newcastle in the raised position matches that of the Tyne Bridge behind it: 25 metres (82'). The Thames Cable car is to be built to offer a clearance of at least twice that at 54 metres (It will be even higher at the towers on each bank of the river to cater for the sag in the cables), so it would indeed have to be quite a large tilting bridge.

The length would be far greater as well I think.

LE Greys

Established Member
The clearance offered by the Millenium Bridge between Gateshead and Newcastle in the raised position matches that of the Tyne Bridge behind it: 25 metres (82'). The Thames Cable car is to be built to offer a clearance of at least twice that at 54 metres (It will be even higher at the towers on each bank of the river to cater for the sag in the cables), so it would indeed have to be quite a large tilting bridge.

The length would be far greater as well I think.

Scale it up by x2, possibly with fixed walkways up to the tilting section. Otherwise, look at a bascule bridge with a decent-sized lifting section, but there we would have to think about using it for road vehicles as well as pedestrians. Still, even with a 1:1 scale version, 82 ft is probably just sufficient for a Thames barge to pass underneath with the mast raised. Not many yachts have taller masts than Thames barges. Scaled up by x2 gives 164 ft, which is higher than the 143 ft of Tower Bridge with the bascules raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.