• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink 377 to Sevenoaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a Class 377 pulling into Sevenoaks this evening operating the Thameslink service. This is the first time I have seen this stock used on this part of the Thameslink network, as it's always been 319s to date as far I am aware. I'm pretty fond of the 319s but I would imagine in the recent muggy weather an air conditioned unit is possibly a welcome change.

Does anyone know if this is the beginning of the withdrawal of 319s to Sevenoaks or was perhaps an isolated working? I'd consider a nostalgia trip if they are being withdrawn.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southern

I noticed something similar when using the line last week, passed about 3 8-car 387's workings heading down to Sevenoaks. I guess the introduction of the 700's is allowing an Electrostar cascade onto previously 319 only routes.

2016 has been the end of an era on the Southern really - 319's gone north and the culling of the 442. I suppose at least the 455/456 are still with us, for how long though is anyone's guess...

hawkeye

The 07.56 from St Albans to Sevenoaks has been a 387 for a while now. Along with it's much welcomed air conditioning.

Class377/5

Established Member
I noticed something similar when using the line last week, passed about 3 8-car 387's workings heading down to Sevenoaks. I guess the introduction of the 700's is allowing an Electrostar cascade onto previously 319 only routes.

2016 has been the end of an era on the Southern really - 319's gone north and the culling of the 442. I suppose at least the 455/456 are still with us, for how long though is anyone's guess...

Er the 456 left Southern 3 years ago!

The reason for the 377s on Sevenoaks services is indeed the arrival of 700s taking over. The 387s have been used in recent months o the Sevenoaks in large numbers but they too have now gone with the fleet shirking at a regular rate as they transfer to GN.

Southern

Er the 456 left Southern 3 years ago!

The reason for the 377s on Sevenoaks services is indeed the arrival of 700s taking over. The 387s have been used in recent months o the Sevenoaks in large numbers but they too have now gone with the fleet shirking at a regular rate as they transfer to GN.

Ok calm down, christ...no need to shout.

I meant the (former) Southern Region, as it happens...guess it went over your head.

Class377/5

Established Member
Ok calm down, christ...no need to shout.

I meant the (former) Southern Region, as it happens...guess it went over your head.

Where did I shout? All capitals is considered shouting. As for changing it from Southern to Southern region, try to make your self clearer next time. Might make it your defensive nature at being corrected not required.

And for the record there Southern region is a historical term as the route area for NR (ie the current railway) is the South East route.

Last edited:

Southern

Where did I shout? All capitals is considered shouting. As for changing it from Southern to Southern region, try to make your self clearer next time. Might make it your defensive nature at being corrected not required.

And for the record there Southern region is a historical term as the route area for NR (ie the current railway) is the South East route.

What a strangely constructed reply...

To begin with, when you use an exclamation point at the end of a sentence, it could be considered as a raising of the voice. It makes you come across as that particular brand of know-it-all that's so quick to jump on someone if they feel a mistake has been made.

As it happens, I used the 456 frequently in their last month with "Southern Rail" so am perfectly aware of when the units stopped work for the company. They were (and still are, to a degree) my favourite EMU. I'll certainly remember to be "clearer" next time, easy to forget that certain terms come more easily to some than to others...

Now, this isn't the type of discussion for this topic - if you want to continue, please PM me. I can't see much being gained from any further conversation though so perhaps it's best to leave it there.

Marklund

I'll certainly remember to be "clearer" next time, easy to forget that certain terms come more easily to some than to others...

Personally I thought it was fairly obvious it was the old Southern region era stock, the word "the" before southern was the clue.

But you're right - it is the beginning of the end for a lot of BR stock that many grew up with, which doesn't half make you feel really old when you still think it's "modern" trains being retired!

Status
Not open for further replies.