• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink and Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyJ

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, I couldn't find a thread on this already.

I'm sure I read that the Southern Trains was going into Thameslink in July, and wondering if there are going to be any noticeable changes straight away - like the name, the green trains/branding and are they going to be any new routes as a result of this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bishopstone

Established Member
Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, I couldn't find a thread on this already.

I'm sure I read that the Southern Trains was going into Thameslink in July, and wondering if there are going to be any noticeable changes straight away - like the name, the green trains/branding and are they going to be any new routes as a result of this?

No, No, No and Not until circa 2017 when new North-South routes start operating through the Thameslink core.

ert47

Staff in different uniforms, e-cigs will be banned on southern trains and Southern managed stations...

TheNewNo2

Given it's already the same company, I'd be surprised if they showed the slightest change to the new operator.

sarahj

Established Member
New uniform, lots of grey, grey and some more grey. I have a big box of stuff waiting for the big day. As with all uniforms provided by the cheapest bidder and made in China, or somewhere very very cheap, its all of the highest quality and fits like a glove.;)

ComUtoR

Established Member
New uniform, lots of grey, grey and some more grey.

I like GTR Uniform :oops:

As with all uniforms provided by the cheapest bidder and made in China, or somewhere very very cheap, its all of the highest quality and fits like a glove.;)

Nothing says quality like polyester :)

bengley

Established Member
I think it's about time Southern had a logo update - the one they have now has been in use for eternities - perhaps uniformity with the TL&GN logos but green instead would look good?

lewisf

I think it's about time Southern had a logo update - the one they have now has been in use for eternities - perhaps uniformity with the TL&GN logos but green instead would look good?

It's very similar, of not the same as the logo used by the pre-nationalisation Southern Railway. They'll probably keep it as is for heritage.

sarahj

Established Member
It's very similar, of not the same as the logo used by the pre-nationalisation Southern Railway. They'll probably keep it as is for heritage.

Whats the point of a logo update. It works, its fine, its slightly retro.

Unless you want your fare money to go on:

Some large fee to a designer who might come up with the words 'southern' at a slight angle to show 'movement', perhaps with some colour flash.

Then money to change all the trains, posters, uniforms (which are just new), letterheads, websites, station branding (signs and colours) etc etc etc

causton

Established Member
New uniform, lots of grey, grey and some more grey. I have a big box of stuff waiting for the big day. As with all uniforms provided by the cheapest bidder and made in China, or somewhere very very cheap, its all of the highest quality and fits like a glove.;)

Incorporatewear by any chance? Wonder if it's the same as us on the other green side of Govia ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given it's already the same company, I'd be surprised if they showed the slightest change to the new operator.

...and as has been posted time and again since the day the TSGN franchise was awarded, they intend to have separate liveries for the four separately branded parts of their service.

There is every indication in GoVia's original publicity that 'Southern' branding and livery will not be changed.

sarahj

Established Member
Incorporatewear by any chance? Wonder if it's the same as us on the other green side of Govia ;)

Dimentions.

It's the oddness of it all. I have a new coat that fits well, lots of space, but hard to get your hands through the wrist band????? Who was the original model?

wheelnrail

I think it's about time Southern had a logo update - the one they have now has been in use for eternities...

Union Pacific's shield logo has been around since 1885, and it still holds up well in today's world. 12 years with the current Southern logo is barely any time. Besides it looks good.

causton

Established Member
The coats are in fact made by Keela, who usually get reasonably good press. And actually they have a lot of adjustable bits, but those bits are quite fiddly!
Haha I give up, I'll get to the right manufacturer eventually! Never heard of Keela, but I'm not a uniform enthusiast ;) all my uniform is incorporatewear, I don't know if that's what you guys on the Southern used to wear as the coats look very similar, only fault with mine is the shirts are very easy to crease so much that you stop bothering to iron them (if that even is a problem actually! Sounds like a solution!)

bengley

Established Member
Whats the point of a logo update. It works, its fine, its slightly retro.

Unless you want your fare money to go on:

Some large fee to a designer who might come up with the words 'southern' at a slight angle to show 'movement', perhaps with some colour flash.

Then money to change all the trains, posters, uniforms (which are just new), letterheads, websites, station branding (signs and colours) etc etc etc

So you don't think this looks nice and fresh?

8jhQLGJl.png

A-driver

Established Member
Our uniforms have been a bit of a disaster at GN/TL-same as the new southern one I believe.

People have had to send items back twice to get one that fits as no size guide was issued! We have staff with uniforms already falling apart and we are not allowed any more for 12months!

Have to say I've never seen so many weird sizes! It seems a small log sleeved pullover is the same size as a large short sleeves one. People have a small jacket, XL polo shirt, L jumper etc, none of my uniform is the same size as the FCC one or any other similar garments I own. Plus it's like wearing a bin bag in summer in terms of ventilation and sweatiness!

physics34

Established Member

id rather go for a change of livery. Now that is a bit boring now........

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The 'Southern' version of the present Thameslink and Great Northern logos does not appear in GoVia's own briefing docs, they used the existing Southern and Gatwick Express logos.

sarahj

Established Member
Our uniforms have been a bit of a disaster at GN/TL-same as the new southern one I believe.

People have had to send items back twice to get one that fits as no size guide was issued! We have staff with uniforms already falling apart and we are not allowed any more for 12months!

Have to say I've never seen so many weird sizes! It seems a small log sleeved pullover is the same size as a large short sleeves one. People have a small jacket, XL polo shirt, L jumper etc, none of my uniform is the same size as the FCC one or any other similar garments I own. Plus it's like wearing a bin bag in summer in terms of ventilation and sweatiness!

I've been trying on my stuff today. Both the long sleeved and short sleeved jumpers are the same size. The long sleeved one, i think I could get a few punters in their as well, the short, a bit baggy, but just about ok. Oh and made of something that iches your body all over. Might have to put em through the wash. The blouses, like my southern ones have to be ironed at such a low temp, i just dont bother. Hang them up once out the wash and they seem ok. In the uniform guide, the neck tie/scarf thing goes down almost to the stomach area. Meanwhile, in real life with a real neck, it gets to just the second top button.
Meanwhile the main coat has no inside pockets, so thats less place to store, money, keys, phone, passes, diary, info books for us out and about.
You can tell conductors were so on their mind, we were missed out the uniform guide. A omen for the future? :( After all, its not like we are customer facing much, Doh!!!!

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
I do like the look of that, but imagine how much it would cost to actually get the designer to make it etc!

Such is the world we live in today ;)

Edit: Also your t is too far down :P

I think you'll find the 'Sou' is too far up ;)

Skimble19

Established Member

Completely agree.. the roll out was a disaster and getting people stuff that actually fits was ridiculously difficult. Lots of items are already looking seriously tired and falling apart, unlike most FCC ones which were still pretty much good as new on the last day of the franchise..

And don't mention the waistcoat (or lack of one!)! :lol:

Still, that's "progress"..

ert47

When it comes to the uniform, it'll just be the tie (not sure about the ladies scarf), the scarf and that pocket-thing that would have to change.

Oh, and the keela jacket =/

Ahh, forget it! :lol:

talldave

Established Member
Completely agree.. the roll out was a disaster and getting people stuff that actually fits was ridiculously difficult. Lots of items are already looking seriously tired and falling apart, unlike most FCC ones which were still pretty much good as new on the last day of the franchise..

And don't mention the waistcoat (or lack of one!)! :lol:

Still, that's "progress"..

A classic corporate cock up, spend less now but much more over the long term. But of course the person responsible will have been promoted long before the financial impact is apparent.

And the other traditional "error" is that the uniform will undoubtedly have been specified and selected by someone who doesn't have to wear it (hence the itchiness! ).

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
A classic corporate cock up, spend less now but much more over the long term. But of course the person responsible will have been promoted long before the financial impact is apparent.

And the other traditional "error" is that the uniform will undoubtedly have been specified and selected by someone who doesn't have to wear it (hence the itchiness! ).

Agree. Sometimes you see the roll out for some uniforms, and there are two 'model' types standing their with the designer. All I can think, and what will they look like, 2 hours in, on a hot day on the average person.

But, alas, on the railway, many things, and not just uniform, get decided by folks in head office who never go out to the front line (or real world). (and prob in many other customer facing jobs as well).

Taunton

Established Member
Came from Battersea Park to Victoria today. I had Oyster but colleague needed a ticket. Oh, and gone are the days when very inner local stations had minimal usage - some 20 or more people caught the train, off-peak.

On entry, ticket office closed, and both ticket machines out of order, with confusing and different hand-written notices on them, low down and out of normal vision. One let you get all the way through to credit card verification before it said it was u/s on screen. Colleague, unused to rail travel, not sure how to handle it, given all the publicity about instant court action for not having a ticket ......

Arriving at Victoria, booth for excess fares also closed and nobody on the gateline. Over a barrier, which had to be specially opened for them, and there were now five (count them) uniformed staff apparently on revenue duty at an adjacent but separate gateline, but only one was doing fare taking, so there was a queue. With non-English speaking travellers ahead, the minutes ticked by. I never got a chance to ask if they knew that Battersea Park had no ticket facilities at all, or how many others were the same.

Roll on TfL taking over the suburban services.

Status
Not open for further replies.