• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink brighton service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Does the Gatwick Express use OBS, I thought they used guards.?
All DOO (like almost every Southern route and like every Thameslink route) with (normally) on-board supervisors existing in a customer-facing role for ticket checks, sales, information and for passenger assistance with ramps, etc.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I have not experienced anything that bad and I use Thameslink twice a week to get to Farringdon, however, faults seem to be common. Mostly problems with the signalling system but the occasional fault with a train happens as well.
I have never been on a faulty 700. They seem pretty reliable.

Still upset you got caught evading your fare?
Getting caught is an achievement in itself. I have never had my ticket checked on board a 700.

Minstral25

Established Member
Does anyone have this is writing?
As far as I am aware all tickets from Redhill line to Hayward's Heath and Brighton are usable on Gatwick Express, there is no restriction on them. Obviously that is the Gatwick to Brighton portion of the service only.

RJ

Established Member
Things go wrong from time to time. But it’s a frequent service with fixed 12 carriage trains. Having moved elsewhere in the UK where the railways are very different to that, it really isn’t a bad deal overall.

MrJeeves

Established Member
As far as I am aware all tickets from Redhill line to Hayward's Heath and Brighton are usable on Gatwick Express, there is no restriction on them. Obviously that is the Gatwick to Brighton portion of the service only.
That's specific to tickets for those journeys, though? No, those specific tickets don't have a restriction preventing use on GatEx, but that doesn't mean anyone travelling with any ticket can use GatEx between those stations...

The usual shambles on Thameslink this evening...
Yes, let's all imply it's GTR's fault that someone has been hit by a train in two busy parts of their network... :rolleyes:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think that is in any doubt.

I think the matter under debate is some sort of (unpublished?) arrangement where GTR appear to accept tickets on the 'wrong brand' for the portion of the journey between Gatwick and Brighton, regardless of the ticket held.

I do remember Southern (before it became GTR) having some sort of arrangement on that basis, but I am not sure that it was ever documented anywhere.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

I think the matter under debate is some sort of (unpublished?) arrangement where GTR appear to accept tickets on the 'wrong brand' for the portion of the journey between Gatwick and Brighton, regardless of the ticket held.

I do remember Southern (before it became GTR) having some sort of arrangement on that basis, but I am not sure that it was ever documented anywhere.

On all my recent journeys north from Brighton on a GX train, there have been onboard announcements before leaving Brighton listing various types of tickets which are [allegedly] not allowed on the train at all (not just not allowed after Grotwick). The list is, obviously, things like "Southern Only", "Not GX", etc. However I've always been using [cheap!] tickets which have no "brand restrictions" and no (relevant) route restrictions, so it's not mattered to me. Also, there has almost always been a ticket check on these services.

DJS76

Two people hit by trains is going to cause disruption that’s outside of the railway’s control.
Apologies for the insensitivity of my post, I have now deleted this. Sorry for any offence, thoughts of course with everyone involved.

Minstral25

Established Member

Our tickets to the South (from Redhill) are always marked any permitted route, which covers GatEx, there are no discounted "brand" only tickets. Even "super off-peak" fares are not branded. That was the same before GTR from my recollection.

GTR did promise our local Rail Users that when GatEx took over Brighton trains we would not have restricted tickets that meant we could always get to the coast using them. I don't recall it documented officially either.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Things go wrong from time to time. But it’s a frequent service with fixed 12 carriage trains. Having moved elsewhere in the UK where the railways are very different to that, it really isn’t a bad deal overall.
That is a big advantage with the 700s. The joyful experience of a single 319 turning up following a cancelled train is thankfully a distant memory.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
That is a big advantage with the 700s. The joyful experience of a single 319 turning up following a cancelled train is thankfully a distant memory.

Very true ! - or even after several cancellations and "service recovery" - (i.e fast to Bedford only......)

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Indeed coming into their own tonight following a tree interfering with the wires at St Albans service somewhat dislocated

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Indeed coming into their own tonight following a tree interfering with the wires at St Albans service somewhat dislocated

Still on a 2 track railway Radlett to Harpenden - yes - a 12 car 700 can really swallow a lot of passengers - when needed !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Still on a 2 track railway Radlett to Harpenden - yes - a 12 car 700 can really swallow a lot of passengers - when needed !

3 track railway for almost all of it, and 4 track railway for last half hour, Guv. Service managed very well in my opinion. I left London around 1900 and delayed by 2 mins.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
3 track railway for almost all of it, and 4 track railway for last half hour, Guv. Service managed very well in my opinion. I left London around 1900 and delayed by 2 mins.

Good work again by West Hampstead ! - they always rise to the occasion !!!

izvor

Agree with both - reliable, but spartan, and I've never been checked.
There was a thread elsewhere on this board that suggested the revenue inspectors avoid the 700s because (a) they are long and open, and any scumbags ticket avoiders have plenty of time to jump off at the next station, and (b) there are no intermediate cabs for staff to jump into if they feel threatened.

I have never had my ticket checked either, though I understand checks are more frequent north of the river. And, to be fair, I'm not a daily traveller.

My experience of Thameslink: generally acceptable until late evening when the whole service often goes down the pan. The Horsham-Peterboro' is the worst. As I used to do late turns this was very frustrating. It was not uncommon for 2 or 3 to be cancelled consecutively, and not for the (excusable) external reasons. Another issue (at Redhill) was seeing your train diverted via the Quarry just to regain a couple of minutes; or being on a train that was ditto, at the last minute (including the very last train); or, perhaps worse, finding your train cancelled at the last minute, then seeing it sail through on the fast lines. I could go on…

Fincra5

Established Member
Thameslink has it issues, for sure, like every route. The biggest issue for TL is all the services going from and to different places, all squeezing through a 2 Track Railway in the middle of London. So when it goes wrong, it goes wrong.

jojoseph72

Thameslink has it issues, for sure, like every route. The biggest issue for TL is all the services going from and to different places, all squeezing through a 2 Track Railway in the middle of London. So when it goes wrong, it goes wrong.
I agree, what makes TL so useful is the variety of destination that you can get to with one stop using them. But the combo of moving between so mainlines and onto a two track railway through the core does make the timetable very fragile. So to parrot Fincra5 when it does go wrong, it can go catastrophically wrong.

Elybob

If two trains had been cancelled with further disruption I would've just used the Gatwick Express regardless of whether there's ticket acceptance or not tbh.

I'm not getting stranded

paul1609

Established Member
My experience of Thameslink: generally acceptable until late evening when the whole service often goes down the pan. The Horsham-Peterboro' is the worst. As I used to do late turns this was very frustrating. It was not uncommon for 2 or 3 to be cancelled consecutively, and not for the (excusable) external reasons. Another issue (at Redhill) was seeing your train diverted via the Quarry just to regain a couple of minutes; or being on a train that was ditto, at the last minute (including the very last train); or, perhaps worse, finding your train cancelled at the last minute, then seeing it sail through on the fast lines. I could go on…
Being diverted on to the quarry line isnt just a case of regaining a couple of minutes. Anything that runs via Redhill is inheritantly unreliable because of the conflicting movements. Our coastway rail users association constantly has to lobby for Arun Valley services to be routed via the quarry line because a redhill call just destroys the reliability of the west coastway line.