• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
All trains between Bedford and Farringdon are at a stand - I suspect that is a lot of trains trapped.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Well it's certainly been a lovely evening on the railway today. I can't remember the last time so much disruption was listed on NRE - particularly for June.

Attachments

• NRE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 147

Kite159

Veteran Member
Last couple Nottingham to St Pancras services were cancelled, I suspect local taxis will be in demand tonight.

Tomorrow morning will be interesting with stock out of place

Rich McLean

Established Member
Last couple Nottingham to St Pancras services were cancelled, I suspect local taxis will be in demand tonight.

Tomorrow morning will be interesting with stock out of place

That's if things get moving at all until around mid morning

tsr

Established Member
Looks like some signalling has been restored now. Unsure as to the extent of resolution at the moment. Some trains seem to be moving on my signalling map.

MrCub

Is there an obligation, in the event of a service collapse, for a TOC to get you to your destination, or can they leave you 'stranded'?

Antman

Established Member
It's a DISASTER. How on Earth do people get home?

By road transport arriving home sometime in the early hours looks like the best that they can hope for, this must be one of the worst days ever for rail disruption in the south east?

howittpie

Notice at least one St Pancras to Derby service was started at Kettering this evening. There was few at Loughborough awaiting the 21.24 to St Pancras unaware of the problems further south as the boards were showing delayed and the announcement being due to electrical supply problems so no clue to the problems further south.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there an obligation, in the event of a service collapse, for a TOC to get you to your destination, or can they leave you 'stranded'?

Either get you home or provide overnight accommodation as per National Rail Conditions of Carriage.

greaterwest

Established Member
By road transport arriving home sometime in the early hours looks like the best that they can hope for, this must be one of the worst days ever for rail disruption in the south east?

I'd imagine so, I haven't seen two code blacks declared at the same time (Victoria - Croydon and Waterloo - Surbiton) and I think the last bad incident was the displacement of the third rail at Clapham Junction a year or so ago which resulted in the shoes being ripped off several units, and many trains being de-trained.

GadgetMan

Ouch - https://twitter.com/TLRailUK/status/746085309197225985

We are sending staff to trapped trains as a priority. ⚠️ Services between Bedford & Blackfriars have been suspended for the rest of the day due to a complete loss of signalling

All the DOO lovers/TOCs keep trotting out the MOM (NR Mobile Ops Manager)/BTP/Father Xmas would all be at the location within 20-30mins after an incident. Glad to see they're all correct. :roll:

Antman

Established Member
Reported on twitter that trains are now running again between Blackfriars and Bedford

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'd imagine so, I haven't seen two code blacks declared at the same time (Victoria - Croydon and Waterloo - Surbiton) and I think the last bad incident was the displacement of the third rail at Clapham Junction a year or so ago which resulted in the shoes being ripped off several units, and many trains being de-trained.

The last Code Black was the Vauxhall fire.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's a grading.

Green - Yellow - Red - Black - Blue

Green is minor delays
Yellow is moderate delays
Red is major delays
Black is effectively service suspension, job stopped
Blue is a serious incident generally involving the intervention of the emergency services with a train service following a collision or similar.

greaterwest

Established Member
It's a grading.

Green - Yellow - Red - Black - Blue

Green is minor delays
Yellow is moderate delays
Red is major delays
Black is effectively service suspension, job stopped
Blue is a serious incident generally involving the intervention of the emergency services with a train service following a collision or similar.

What was the last Code Blue to be declared in recent years?

tsr

Established Member
What was the last Code Blue to be declared in recent years?

I'm not sure my employer even has a Code Blue! Last time I looked at the classification of incidents, which wasn't too long ago, certain types of rail accident lead directly to a Code Black, but I'm pretty sure we don't do Blue at all. I don't decide what leads to a declaration of any given colour code, but I'm aware of the rough classification and I do work with them on a pretty much daily basis.

For us, from memory, our PIDD (Passenger Information During Disruption) colour codes are:
Green - no/slight delays but a known fault which may affect multiple trains (an example of disruption with "no delays" could be, for example, SSOs issued due to some trains not to call at a station due to equipment issues) - one or two isolated delays up to 15mins
Yellow - full closure of stations in certain categories, line problems leading to congestion and delay which can often be accommodated by normal service resilience - pattern of repeated delays up to 15mins
Red - line problem caused by station closure (eg. evacuation of a major interchange leading to crew changeover and passenger movement problems), partial mainline or full branch closure - delays in the region of 15-30mins
Black - full mainline route closure, derailment of higher speed services, loss of signalling at a critical location, phased shutdown/delayed start due to severe weather - multiple trains stranded/trapped - delays 30mins+

CSL2 (Customer Service Level 2) is usually declared at Red and beyond, invoking ticket acceptance per pre-set plans, highlighted website information and recorded announcements detailing journey options, and so on. In addition, for each type of line capacity issue, numbered plans are used to define the service which can reasonably be run, though in fact this is often quite vague because of train and crew displacement and so on.

Last edited:

Alfie1014

*Three

St Pancras is also code black this evening

Four, GE pretty much shut for much of day too, and not much better today with a limited service of only two main line trains per hour and do not travel advice until after 14:00 in place. TfL rail not much better limited to 2 tph too, plus there have been difficulties getting stock out of Ilford as the loss of signalling area covers Manor Park to Seven Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.