• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink peak restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

Sorry if this is covered, and I've looked on the TL website without success...

On Xmas Eve, I had a feeling that the TL evening restrictions were lifted. I checked with TL customer services and had a snappy response telling me that the restrictions were in place as normal. I asked, just again, at a station and they assured me it was restrictions as normal.

On the off-chance, I went to St Pancras during the peak, quite prepared to wait. However the barrier staff said there was no need, and restrictions were lifted for the evening. Brilliant. Why all the confusion though?

So, what about next week on Monday - Wednesday? Does anyone know what restrictions are in place or have been lifted, please?

With thanks
Mr. Cub

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I cannot find anything to say the restrictions are any different to usual. Have you tried tweeting them?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
This page says that evening restrictions are lifted between 22nd December and 2nd January for Off-Peak Returns (Restriction Code 5J), as does this page for Off-Peak Day Returns and Off-Peak Day Travelcards.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Sorry if this is covered, and I've looked on the TL website without success...

On Xmas Eve, I had a feeling that the TL evening restrictions were lifted. I checked with TL customer services and had a snappy response telling me that the restrictions were in place as normal. I asked, just again, at a station and they assured me it was restrictions as normal.

On the off-chance, I went to St Pancras during the peak, quite prepared to wait. However the barrier staff said there was no need, and restrictions were lifted for the evening. Brilliant. Why all the confusion though?

So, what about next week on Monday - Wednesday? Does anyone know what restrictions are in place or have been lifted, please?

With thanks
Mr. Cub

Many easements for the Christmas/New Year period are noted in the restriction codes for each ticket. If you can say what ticket you use, we can say if there is an easement.

I do find it odd that people (generally, not just you), feel they have to ask the same question multiple times and seem to only be happy when the answer is what they want to hear. I wonder what would have happened if an RPI had checked your ticket on the train and said restrictions apply as normal?

Abpj17

But equally, asking the same question and getting different answers does sow seeds of doubt...

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I do find it odd that people (generally, not just you), feel they have to ask the same question multiple times and seem to only be happy when the answer is what they want to hear. I wonder what would have happened if an RPI had checked your ticket on the train and said restrictions apply as normal?

Is that really fair comment in this context given the OP's feeling was correct and the information provided wasn't?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
But equally, asking the same question and getting different answers does sow seeds of doubt...

When the first two answers were the same, I don't think we can claim there was doubt.

Is that really fair comment in this context given the OP's feeling was correct and the information provided wasn't?

Do you know that for sure?

RJ

Established Member
Maybe the OP's doubt was because of information picked up subconsciously? I'm sure there are background announcements, posters and possibly even scrolling messages on customer information systems which mention these relaxations. It doesn't harm to ask. As I say, passengers tend to be able to tell when they're being fed dud information and will ask multiple times. Perhaps not until they hear what they want to hear, but maybe until they see someone consult or quote a veritable source of information, as CyrusWuff has done.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thameslink and Great Northern have no evening peak restrictions during the coming week, and had none on December 24th (or on 22nd and 23rd).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Maybe the OP's doubt was because of information picked up subconsciously? I'm sure there are background announcements, posters and possibly even scrolling messages on customer information systems which mention these relaxations....

Possibly, I wouldn't know as I'm some 180 miles away from St Pancras. But then if this is on the screens and departure information, and in announcements, why would station staff not know it? (perhaps 'a station' wasn't 'a Thameslink station'?) Infact, why woudn't CS staff know either?

....It doesn't harm to ask. As I say, passengers tend to be able to tell when they're being fed dud information and will ask multiple times....

It doesn't harm to ask, you're right, but asking until one person says what they want to hear? Why does one person saying yes outweigh two people saying no? If the barrier staff had said no, would the op have tried it on anyway? Would they have gone and asked someone else? I guess we'll never know (this isn't meant to be inciting in anyway, just a train of thought).

....Perhaps not until they hear what they want to hear, but maybe until they see someone consult or quote a veritable source of information, as CyrusWuff has done.

Cyruswolf provided a link to two restriction codes (out of god knows how many), one of which seems to be for trains out of Liverpool Street or Kings Cross and the other possibly for trains out of Kings Cross, but then without knowing what ticket the op has, we can't say what restriction code actually applies (maybe one of those does, maybe neither of them do). I could offer this as evidence that not all tickets are restriction free over the festive period, but that isn't exactly helpful is it?

The Op doesn't say that the barrier staff offered any evidence, apparently just saying 'it's fine' was enough. We also don't know if either of the other two offered any evidence or were even quizzed beyond the initial question, infact, we don't really know what the initial question even was!

While they were the same, they were both apparently wrong...

Maybe, but that doesn't really answer the point being made. The Op, for some reason, didn't trust two sources of information, that should really know what they are talking about, and yet trusted one grade of staff who are regularly noted, on this forum, as not being trustworthy for that sort of information. Doesn't add up for me.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I do find it odd that people (generally, not just you), feel they have to ask the same question multiple times and seem to only be happy when the answer is what they want to hear.

I do find it odd that so many outlets of information from train companies cannot be relied upon to provide accurate and timely information. I cannot possibly imagine where I where I might be if I had taken everything a member of railway staff told me as the truth without checking it over the years, but several hundred pounds down would be a good start.

I wonder what would have happened if an RPI had checked your ticket on the train and said restrictions apply as normal?

In this case it would appear they would be quite incorrect. Were it not the case that restrictions were lifted, they would presumably have issued an excess and that would have been the end of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.