• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink Services/Timetable from May 20th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I was on a London - Cambridge fast on Thursday that was driven by one driver to Hitchin (where it wasn't timetabled to stop) and then another to Cambridge, and which had at least two drivers travelling as passengers.

I know nothing about operating a railway, so this is an ill informed rough guess. But I'm going to speculate that there's some kind of poor management / planning gone on there and that an ideal world would have put one of them in each of several trains. If whoever organised had had to also organise hotels for them heaven knows what would have happened.

Trains are stopping all over the place to pick up and drop off drivers. If a driver can't get a train then it is impacting another train, and another.. It's madness. I think more are getting round in taxis now, but that poses problems in itself - like where IS the taxi. Is it in traffic? can you get through to the driver? Can the driver get through to control?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farleigh

At the end of the day the problem is quite simply there aren’t enough drivers. Whether they didn’t or couldn’t resource enough is a question which will come out in the wash no doubt, but it’s difficult to see how it couple be the latter given how many years they had to plan for this. All this talk about mismatches is to me a smokescreen, if they haven’t got drivers trained to run a timetable then they haven’t got enough - end of. I don’t think this is a driver flexibility issue - they are more than entitled to come in and do what they are contracted to do, in fact it’s quite likely most are fed up with the uncertainty, messing around and late finishes as much as everyone else.

There is a but, however. Once again my train in was full of a particularly rowdy bunch of drivers travelling pass. It certainly does not impress passengers to be travelling on a train with people behaving worse than some schoolchildren do, and it does not sound good at all to hear things like “I can’t wait to make the phone call later when I refuse to pick up” or “I got out of a whole first half of work because the train I was going pass on was packed and I told them it was too full to board”. This really isn’t impressive at all, and whilst one sympathises with the complete break-down of GTR’s operation, at the end of the day this sort of behaviour really lets the grade down IMO. At the very least this sort of talk should be confined to the messroom, and it’s not on to treat travelling pass on a busy train as some kind of messroom. Apart from anything else, were someone to secretly film on a mobile phone and it went to management, this could quite easily be seen as bringing the company into disrepute, assuming GTR could afford to let anyone go of course!
This is disgraceful.

mmh

Established Member
It’s very misleading but it’s the first time I’ve been aware of a fast Epsom train from London Bridge regardless which is handy I guess :) you learn something new everyday.

Didn’t West Croydon used to have fast trains years ago in the 90s?

It still does, just fewer than before. Until the timetable change all of the peak Epsom/Guildford/Dorking to London Bridge's were stoppers to Norwood Junction then fast, with a half hourly slow Selhurst depot starter from Norwood Junction doing all stations via Sydenham to London Bridge, which itself was only introduced as an unplanned reaction to reducing services after LO started.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Has anyone noticed that GTRs “we must skip stop if something is late” policy doesn’t save much time.

I have seen a few such as the 0602 wgc - London leave 28 Mins late and arrive in London kx 28 Mins late.

This morning they decided to run the 0657 Cambridge - London non stop from Hitchin - Finsbury Park. It was 33 late at Hitchin. Arrived 28 late at Finsbury Park. Was it worth it for 5 minutes saving considering many stations it skipped only get an hourly service?

What are GTR trying to achieve?

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member

They are making a lot of that considering the loss of revenue makes no impact on thier bottom line.....

They don't seem to care how much these decision alientate passengers and some of them chose not to travel as a result. I could understand the skip-stopping if it makes the train capable of running on time on its return, but in many instance I have seen it is just the same delay at the destination, with less stops and more passengers journeys messed up. See it a lot on the Horsham - Peterborough route where it misses all stations between Gatwick and East Croydon. They often arrive as late at East Croydon then they left Gatwick, but the poor folk of Redhill (and other places) lose another service.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m no fan of GTR but I believe they announced that the profit they would make would only be around half of what was anticipated.

sefton

Has anyone noticed that GTRs “we must skip stop if something is late” policy doesn’t save much time.

I have seen a few such as the 0602 wgc - London leave 28 Mins late and arrive in London kx 28 Mins late.

This morning they decided to run the 0657 Cambridge - London non stop from Hitchin - Finsbury Park. It was 33 late at Hitchin. Arrived 28 late at Finsbury Park. Was it worth it for 5 minutes saving considering many stations it skipped only get an hourly service?

What are GTR trying to achieve?

Skip stopping - aka Playing with trainsets. No interest in the customers only making their toys move around.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Multiple cancellations and 90 minute gaps in service on the London Bridge - Horsham route, today.

Until May, there was an hourly fast Southern service from Horley (Brighton-Victoria), but now this substantial town is entirely at the mercy of Thameslink's dismal service, off-peak.

A self-contained shuttle between London Bridge and Horsham, every 30 minutes, should be quite easy to diagram and resource, surely?

Minstral25

Established Member
Multiple cancellations and 90 minute gaps in service on the London Bridge - Horsham route, today.

Until May, there was an hourly fast Southern service from Horley (Brighton-Victoria), but now this substantial town is entirely at the mercy of Thameslink's dismal service, off-peak.

A self-contained shuttle between London Bridge and Horsham, every 30 minutes, should be quite easy to diagram and resource, surely?

Seems Easy doesn't it. 6 sets of stock, probably 18 Drivers as 3 drivers on average in each over the day. So you find 18 drivers and you find 18 sets of stock. Don't forget all of the Horsham Thameslink depot already knew Horsham to London Bridge without a pilot or anything else as they are ex-Southern drivers.

Most of the day at least 2 and more often 3 sets missing, meaning on a half hourly service (which through Redhill was supposed to be every 15 minutes in new timetable) there have been 60 and 90 minute gaps for many stations along the Horsham branch but also for larger stations at Horley, Salfords and Earlswood.

The loss of the Gatwick to Bedford service as well seems incredible as it was a fully running service with Drivers that knew 700's and the route before the timetable change so why can't they run it now at all? Completely cancelled all weekend.

The service degradation along the Redhill route has been awful as Southern have been replaced by Thameslink on 20th May and it is getting worse when it should be getting better.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Definately no emergency timetable yet on GTR, one is expected mid-July apparently.

Short notice cancellations and amendments until then to give passengers the maximum amount of uncertainty.

387star

On Moderation
Edit appears Peterborough through the core services resume on weekends as of next Saturday

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Edit appears Peterborough through the core services resume on weekends as of next Saturday

Er, no chance.

The long term plan is currently in the timetable every weekend. During the week, they replace it with the weekend 'emergency timetable'. Clearly they should do this further in advance but at the moment that is not what is happening.

https://www.railplan2020.com/timetables has details of the base amended timetable for weekends.

My guess is that until they sort out the weekday service there will be no through GN to the core weekend services and the Bedford to Gatwick services will not run.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
This is correct....The emergency t/t has NO TRAINS through the CORE on a Sat or Sun

But its not an emergency timetable, apparently. That is supposed to come into force mid July.

We are talking GTR here. They aren't that organised you know.:lol:

Definately no emergency timetable yet on GTR, one is expected mid-July apparently.

Short notice cancellations and amendments until then to give passengers the maximum amount of uncertainty.

No weekday emergency timetable yet but there is a weekend one.

See "Where can I download the revised weekend timetable?" on https://www.railplan2020.com/timetables

The revised weekend timetables for Great Northern and Thameslink can be downloaded below. These timetables do include alterations that allow us to operate this timetable reliably.

In practice there are still cancellations even with the reduced service.

Last edited:

malc-c

Ok pardon my ignorance, but what is the root of all this disruption. Before 20/5/18 things would on the face of it seem to be running Ok, at least well enough that public were not complaining in such numbers as after the change. Surely the same drivers who were roster to take a train from say cambridge to KX and back X number of times in his shift is still employed to do so ? So why are people say there isn't enough drivers ? Seeing the number of 700's being dragged behind66's the past few months, I'm guessing that there are enough sets in place, or is that there is but they are in the wrong places ?? - To me it just seems strange that it is such a major cockup and it's taking so long to resolve. Makes me wonder why they just didn't revert back to the timetable for 17/18/19 May over the course of the week after 20th until "they" sorted our a way forward.

Oh and I have it good authority that aliens do exist in Stevenage... I live next door to one :)

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ok pardon my ignorance, but what is the root of all this disruption. Before 20/5/18 things would on the face of it seem to be running Ok, at least well enough that public were not complaining in such numbers as after the change. Surely the same drivers who were roster to take a train from say cambridge to KX and back X number of times in his shift is still employed to do so ? So why are people say there isn't enough drivers ? Seeing the number of 700's being dragged behind66's the past few months, I'm guessing that there are enough sets in place, or is that there is but they are in the wrong places ?? - To me it just seems strange that it is such a major cockup and it's taking so long to resolve. Makes me wonder why they just didn't revert back to the timetable for 17/18/19 May over the course of the week after 20th until "they" sorted our a way forward.

Oh and I have it good authority that aliens do exist in Stevenage... I live next door to one :)

Where have you been for the last month ;)

Just read some of the earlier posts in this thread and all is revealed. Basically GTR have bitten off more than they can chew. Services are supposed to run through the core to places like Horsham and Brighton but sufficient drivers haven't been trained to drive the new trains or through the core. Depends on who you believe as to why this is the case but the bottom line is that's what's causing the timetable to completely fall apart.

N.B. There is no emergency timetable yet, just short notice revisions and cancellations. An emergency timetable is expected to be introduced in mid-July.

Steve Harris

To answer your question (and going on the information we have all seen and heard in the media), not enough drivers were trained in time on the new routes and/or traction.

Therefore there are drivers being used as pilot drivers in the core (presumably drivers from the original thameslink route). Plus as an educated guess a fair few drivers are now learning the new routes / trains, so therefore leaving the number of drivers to run a service (which used to run with no major problems) reduced.

Plus it sounds like it now takes at least twice the number of drivers to run a service as the rosters haven't been sorted out properly yet.

Edit. Got beaten to it by Hadders.

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of 700s are out of place. It means 387s are running instead at times, in various configurations as they split and join to pick up and drop off units.

The downside is that the last train north has sometimes been a 4 instead of 8, but worse, a 12 car running south has resulted in the last train to London from Cambridge skipping stops at 8 car platforms (SDO not used as with 700s) and passengers put into taxis.

Then there's the issue of drivers at some depots having no 700 training, so in the morning trains parked up at WGC can't operate. When a driver that can take one arrives late (having come by taxi or their train in being cancelled), the prep time still means a delay and there's still a high risk of it being cancelled.

These are the logistical errors that I assume are being gradually dealt with and each week a new batch of trains are reinstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.