• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink train at St Pancras repeatedly activating door close procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapAndNerdy

When I arrived at St Pancras this afternoon (13:40) there was a train in the southbound platform that couldn't leave due to a train failure at City Thameslink. Initially though I thought that the train at STP was faulty because it was repeatedly activating the door close procedure (with associated hustle alarm) but not all the doors were closing. In fact some of the door control lights were lit and some were not. This went on for 15 minutes while I was there. But once the failed train at CTK was removed, it left without a problem.

What might have been the reason for doing this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Is this not just doors closing automatically after a set period of time after being opened?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Is this not just doors closing automatically after a set period of time after being opened?

It's the same on SSL stock on the Underground. When trains sit at a terminus (or somewhere else they tend to hang around, like Edgware Road W/B on the Circle) for several minutes, after a while the beeps go and the doors close; but the buttons are still lit and anyone - inside or out - can reopen any of the doors.

Though that doesn't fully fit with the "some doors closing and some not" scenario mentioned. Maybe with longer trains and windy outdoor stations (albeit not in the case of St P; in general I mean), then the system on T/L closes a lot of the doors to keep the cold air out, but leaves some open so people know the train is still boardable? Or maybe it's more subtle/complex?

londonteacher

From my experience, and I am not a railway professional, but I have been on a delayed service in the core before where like normal the doors open automatically on arrival. Shortly after they begin to close (but not lock). Then, if someone wants to board they press the button to open the door. This would cause the doors to be open and closed at different times. Also, it could be sensors that are causing it!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sure I recall reading that these units have a "terminus mode" whereby the external buttons are disabled if the door is closed. If they set this but didn't press any close buttons would this not be what happened?

CheapAndNerdy

Could be that. Certainly, the doors close to the stairs were being used regularly as those just arriving jumped on board assuming the train was just about to leave. And of course a few of those already on board were getting off from time to time as the delay continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.