• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thank You Virgin Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris89

Established Member
Doesn't seem much that gets said about the place. But i have to say it after being delayed south of Warrinton Bank Quay for 15-20 mins due to 'track problems' That the Train Manger kept us up to date on what is happening and helped a lot of other passengers that missed their other trains.

Also Thank you to the driver for also being able to make up some time as well.

It was the ex-12:51 from Edinburgh to B'ham Newstreet service, also the freight train that checked the line was 70003 on a powerhaul service.

A bit off topic what numbers where the two Three car 380's in the yard north of Carlise?

Chris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Always good to here some good things about the railway. Have you sent your feedback to Virgin yet? If not you can use this online form or download and post a form (also found at that link).

WestCoast

Established Member
I've always found Virgin's train managers to be among the friendliest and most helpful on the network. Staff morale does seem really quite good unlike certain other TOCs.

I remember once coming home from London, it was late in the evening and we were the first train out of Euston for a couple of hours after a fatality at Watford and it was extremely busy. The guard did his very best to help people avoid missing connections, he asked anyone with concerns about their journey to contact him and he helped by arranging additional calling points and holding connections. Very professional indeed.

Do contact Virgin, if you can, about your good experience.

chris89

Established Member
I agree very much so, i shall do so a bit later. I use VT a lot on the Anglo-Scot trains miles nicer then with AXC, and regualy go to 'correct' people on their facebook page as they blame them for anything.

Also got into Wolvo with 15 mins to spare to get my bus, so i was happy anyway.

Chris

Just an edit: Sent virgin a good feedback for them. I always have a good expeirnce with them overal only today and friday i come across delays both outside of virgins control. Funny enough both 25 mins late (on 13th 15 late arriving due to an XC service leaving late & being held by a freight train which extended to 25 late)

Last edited:

Tugzrule

380020 and 380021 are the units in the yard, copped them myself earlier today. Came up Fri/Sat and assume going to Polmadie tonight/tomorrow in usual path but don't know for certain

TomJ93

How did your go about sending your compliment?

I have a First Class Host who deserves some praise :)

bengolding

A friend travelled on the 10:51 Edinburgh to New St earlier, which was 10 late into Wolves. They said that Virgin and Arriva worked together for a change, holding the 14:43 Wolves to Aberystwyth for a few mins, in order to allow customers to interchange rather than face a 2 hr wait for the next service. Good service again.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Made up 5 mins in the end what was good.
You did Soho South Jn to Birmingham New St in 4 mins instead of the booked 9 mins. Trains heading the other way are booked 4 mins. Therefore I conclude there is 5 mins slack at this location, and the signallers gave you a clear run.

It's similar on the ECML, except more extreme. If I arrive on time then my train has either been late earlier, or has been held outside King's Cross. Grand Central typically have 20 mins slack/pathing time between York and King's Cross alone.

laird

Something similar happened to me on the same route a few weeks ago, not as personal a service from the train manager certainly so the one you experienced does seem to deserve special mention.

In Virgin's favour the connection which it seemed many passengers were aiming for at Wolverhampton ended up being held at Birmingham New Street and indeed the Voyager from Glasgow was routed to the Wolverhampton end of the New Street platform to enable a straight forward connection onto the very popular CrossCountry service to the South Coast.

chris89

Established Member
Intresting to know the timings i have to say. As mentioned in the post edit i did leave feedback to Virgin Trains as was well deserved.

As he also kept appolizing throughout from Warrington, and again after Crewe for the delay and being kept back behind the Frieght sent to check the line. Just sadly not a lot of people reconize the good that rail companies actually do.

Chris

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
This taken from the thread "just a spark" another helpful VT person.

I put up the full story, now on page two of this general discussion

The Voyager made rather heavy weather of its journey to Birmingham New St, with frequent slow running through the West Midlands suburbs. Near Wolverhampton, a Virgin conductor appeared and asked for a show of hands as to where we were all headed. As she helpfully took tallies of heads and final destinations, she stated that she would now contact Virgin control, who would allocate taxis onwards to final ticket destinations from Birmingham New St. Our late-night welfare looked promising as a fellow lady passenger from Holyhead explained that she was travelling alone to Deal in Kent. 'Would they put me up overnight in a Birmingham Travelodge', she asked me. All this because of a stray spark from a steam locomotive!

On the slow crawl down into New St, our conductress reappeared. There was to be a change of plan, she announced. We were to travel on the 22.53 stopping train to Northampton, remarking that it would be 'with another train operator'. 'How long would that take?,' asked another weary passenger from Holyhead. 'Another train operator' brought the predicable response from the Virgin girl, 'I really don't know'. The 22.53 to Northampton was a London Midland Desiro, already filled to capacity with well-dressed Saturday night-revellers. Their West Midlands laughter and smiles as they headed out to Coventry clubland was in complete contrast to the gloomy faces of the North Wales passengers, staring out into the darkness, clutching their luggage.

What would await us at Northampton? The promised taxis, or abandonment? We, 'the problem,' had been moved onto another train operator. As we left Birmingham New St, I couldn't resist a wry smile, for through the gloomy tunnels I could smell Great Western left-over smoke. Lovely! The Swindon duo, going back to Tyseley depot, must have been just ahead. Northampton was reached at just before midnight. This station, like Crewe, was locked up as our LM driver gathered his bag and headed for the crew room. Asked about where we should go now, he just shrugged his shoulders, saying he was 'just the driver'. A Deganwy lady and her mother got angry with him as the crew door slammed in their faces.

Seacook

A friend travelled on the 10:51 Edinburgh to New St earlier, which was 10 late into Wolves. They said that Virgin and Arriva worked together for a change, holding the 14:43 Wolves to Aberystwyth for a few mins, in order to allow customers to interchange rather than face a 2 hr wait for the next service. Good service again.

I was on that train as well (from Preston to Wolverhampton) and I can endorse the comments - the train manager kept everyone informed; explained about the ATW train being held and advised passengers to go to the back of the train so as to be as close as possible to the bridge. I think the 14:45 VT service to London Euston was held as well but I missed that announcement - consequently by the time I realised that it was still at platform 3 I was at the top of the stairs on the bridge when the doors were locked. Had I been a little quicker I could have arrived at Sandwell and Dudley over half an hour earlier than I did.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
You did Soho South Jn to Birmingham New St in 4 mins instead of the booked 9 mins. Trains heading the other way are booked 4 mins. Therefore I conclude there is 5 mins slack at this location, and the signallers gave you a clear run.

It's similar on the ECML, except more extreme. If I arrive on time then my train has either been late earlier, or has been held outside King's Cross. Grand Central typically have 20 mins slack/pathing time between York and King's Cross alone.

Just aabout every Virgin service into London has 5 mins slack between its last calling point and Euston, the xx29 due from Crewe due into Euston at xx04 (1h35 later) can do it in well under 1h30, much similarly the xx58 from Preston due into Euston at xx12 (2h14 later) can be in straight after the xx04 from Crewe (originally from Manchester).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Don't keep us in suspense?!?! Is that it?!

Fear not I've tracked down the rest of the story!

Urging my new-found Deganwy couple on, our throng made for the now-deserted station forecourt, about 30 people in all. The London Midland station attendant tried to bring about order among the now fractious faces. In the shouting, he radioed for his assistant to reinforce him. Yes, he called out, there were taxis, contract ones, but only three! Between Birmingham Virgin Control and Northampton, passenger totals had become scrambled. One taxi driver said he was taking six passengers to Deal. Another said he would only take one as far as Milton Keynes. Total confusion and tears.

A married couple desperately wanted to get to Selhurst in south London. We were going nowhere. The Deganwy ladies were going to Luton, so I said I would accompany them as well as reassure. My wife would pick me up from Luton station. Amid the shouting and accusations on the taxi rank we made our own way to a Mercedes saloon driven by a friendly and helpful Italian. Would he take us to Luton? Of course! By then, a taxi supervisor had appeared, no doubt well-versed in rail replacement and the financial windfalls that ensue and cleared up some, if not all the confusion among the crowd. Fares would be paid by the train operators, rest assured, he said.

So we, the Deganwy party, sped off onto M1 on the last lap to Luton after what had become a long, long day. I finally got in the house at 01.40, and recalled the boast to my fellow pub-goers, that me, fresh from a 518 mile round trip to Llandudno, would have joined them in our Hitchin local well before midnight the previous day!

One fact to finish on; no-one on my train, to my knowledge, blamed the steam locomotives for causing their travel misery.

Scroll to the bottom for the original.

chris89

Established Member
Well just got a reply back from VT after sending them a Compliment.

'Hi Chris

Thanks for your e-mail and I apologise for the delay in responding.

I am delighted to read your kind comments concerning the assistance that you recently received from the members of staff on your journey from Edinburgh. It really does mean a lot to our people to receive positive feedback and you have my assurance that the members of staff together with their manager will receive a copy of your comments.

So often I hear our people say " I was just doing my job" when they receive recognition of their actions, but our people take great pride in providing outstanding customer service, and deep down I know that they will enjoy reading your appreciation of their efforts.

The time you have taken to send an e-mail is really appreciated.

Kind regards

Jo'

:) Hopefully made the Train manger and crew day to get a least one good feedback :)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.