• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 2019 General Election Result and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
Haven’t read the thread, so apologies if I repeat anything.

I’m slightly relieved. Not because I voted or supported the conservatives. Not because I’m looking forward to 5 years of conservative rule. And certainly not because I want Br**it.

Relieved because this will, hopefully, cause the Labour Party to have a seismic change in direction, and most importantly leadership - and not just at the top. Then come back much stronger with a sensible set of policies, and with a credible and reputable leader and leadership team. The next two weeks are crucial for the Labour Party. Will Steptoe go? Will momentum be sidelined? Will a new force emerge? If not, the country will be blue for the foreseeable future.

What happens next time round will depend upon whether Boris can please people in these northern towns. Next time there presumably won’t be the Brexit party, which means a segment of votes up for grabs. Which way these go will probably shape the 2024 election.

Meanwhile it looks like the Labour bitch-fest has already started.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grimsby town

That assumes "bringing the country back together" is an aim. Why would it be? FPTP means you don't need to appeal to the many, you just need to get 50%+1. Everyone else can go whistle.

A country split neatly down the middle over a single contentious issue is great under FPTP politics. We've already seen that tonight in Blyth Valley.

The chances of Remainers being listened to are slim. That's democracy, we lost, get over it. And get comfortable and get the KY Jelly ready; boy are we going to need it.

Johnson did say he wanted to bring the country back together but then when has he ever told the truth. I think the only bright side of this for me is that I have a comfortable life possible opportunities to bugger off to another country if wanted. People like my mum from low income backgrounds don't have that option. I really feel for the low income people who voted for Labour and the Libs who now have to put up with another 5 years of hardship.

TheBigD

Established Member
Haven’t read the thread, so apologies if I repeat anything.

I’m slightly relieved. Not because I voted or supported the conservatives. Not because I’m looking forward to 5 years of conservative rule. And certainly not because I want Br**it.

Relieved because this will, hopefully, cause the Labour Party to have a seismic change in direction, and most importantly leadership - and not just at the top. Then come back much stronger with a sensible set of policies, and with a credible and reputable leader and leadership team. The next two weeks are crucial for the Labour Party. Will Steptoe go? Will momentum be sidelined? Will a new force emerge? If not, the country will be blue for the foreseeable future.

The Momentum mob has gained control of Labour. Don't hold your breath for a change of direction. Look how the Democrats in the USA have gone further to the left after their last defeat. Labour will sadly remain a nasty little party of prejudice.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The Momentum mob has gained control of Labour. Don't hold your breath for a change of direction. Look how the Democrats in the USA have gone further to the left after their last defeat. Labour will sadly remain a nasty little party of prejudice.

My opinion: if momentum continue with the ‘very’ left position, it will be the end of the party.

Established Member
Corbyn is very quiet.

I wonder if he's preparing his resignation speech.

bramling

Veteran Member
Johnson did say he wanted to bring the country back together but then when has he ever told the truth. I think the only bright side of this for me is that I have a comfortable life possible opportunities to bugger off to another country if wanted. People like my mum from low income backgrounds don't have that option. I really feel for the low income people who voted for Labour and the Libs who now have to put up with another 5 years of hardship.

As opposed to the traditional Labour treatment of “thanks very much for your votes everyone, see you in 4 or 5 years”? Except this time with the added spice of Palestine and Hamas.

Established Member
As opposed to the traditional Labour treatment of “thanks very much for your votes everyone, see you in 4 or 5 years”?

This is exactly why I refuse to vote Labour in the council elections.

In the five years I've been living here, I've seen a Labour councillor twice.

Established Member
McDonnell quoted as saying “I think people did want to get Brexit done”... hmm

Sums up the forthcoming drubbing.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
LAB Hold Islwyn
CON Hold Kettering
SNP GAIN Rutherglen and Hamilton West from Labour. UKIP losing their deposit.
CON GAIN Darlington.
LAB Hold Jarrow

Status
Not open for further replies.