• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The 30 min rule Drivers Vacancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ry34081

Hi iv been looking for jobs as a trainee driver for just over a year now but the ones that seem to take on quite often like southern and northen, always require you to live within 30mins of a given depot. Has anyone ever managed to get a job with these on the basis of relocating as i am willing to do so. Or would it be possible to give a friend or relatives address or even a b&b that is in the required area to get the job. Just a thought.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Or would it be possible to give a friend or relatives address or even a b&b that is in the required area to get the job

That is a hefty lie and really not a good idea.

ry34081

yeh thats what i was thinking esp bnb idea lol. however i do have family in london so wasnt sure about putting there address down, i sold my house last year so only renting at mo thus could move quite quick if need be.

dk1

Veteran Member
Or would it be possible to give a friend or relatives address or even a b&b that is in the required area to get the job. Just a thought.

I know its not a good idea but thats exactly what i did in the 80s to get on the railway. Even worse it was the idea of the Area Manager whos daughter i was seeing at the time. I had missed out 3 months earlier for being honest. My mysterious aunt got me the job & 25 years later im still here & even though i live nearer now, have never once been late for work ;).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Don't forget if you give a address - that address is where all the letters etc... will go!

fgwoll1e

Surely better just to be honest?

At the end of the day you already say you would happily relocate, so just tell the employer that?

ungreat

Hi iv been looking for jobs as a trainee driver for just over a year now but the ones that seem to take on quite often like southern and northen, always require you to live within 30mins of a given depot. Has anyone ever managed to get a job with these on the basis of relocating as i am willing to do so. Or would it be possible to give a friend or relatives address or even a b&b that is in the required area to get the job. Just a thought.

If you can stay with them,give that address..worked for me in the 80's! (I did actually stay there too for a month,then got my own place at the age of 16 as a traction trainee..never went home after that)

I see you are from Leicester..had 4 happy years at that depot
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
FCC recruit quite a lot too mate..might be worth trying them!

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Definitely worth giving FCC (Bedford) a go, even if you still live in Leicester.

I trained with a bloke who relocated a couple of hundred miles for the job, and I had a trainee who did the same. If you're up - front about making a new start, I can't see a problem.

However, since I started to participate in this discussion, I've had a few real world conversations with those involved in driver recruitment at various locations. One common factor seems to be increasing involvement of HR depts. in the selection process. I suspect that this will mean that a list of criteria will be more rigidly followed. Whereas a driver manager might have thought that relocation would be something to discuss with an otherwise suitable candidate at interview. Is anyone able to confirm this view?

ry34081

Hi i did try fcc but no look there i did mention id move an stated i had already had passed my tests i even had near enough the same appliction as i used for a fgw job of which i got to the test stage unfortinally i failed this 1st time and have since re took them and passed i suppose if there is alot applying then location would be an easy way to whittle down applications. Ps thanks for the responses

Barn

Established Member
Definitely worth giving FCC (Bedford) a go, even if you still live in Leicester.

I trained with a bloke who relocated a couple of hundred miles for the job, and I had a trainee who did the same. If you're up - front about making a new start, I can't see a problem.

However, since I started to participate in this discussion, I've had a few real world conversations with those involved in driver recruitment at various locations. One common factor seems to be increasing involvement of HR depts. in the selection process. I suspect that this will mean that a list of criteria will be more rigidly followed. Whereas a driver manager might have thought that relocation would be something to discuss with an otherwise suitable candidate at interview. Is anyone able to confirm this view?

I imagine the rule is partly there just to cut down on the raw number of applicants to make the process more manageable. Otherwise every toc would get every aspiring train driver applying for every vacancy. I wonder whether the requirement is legal under EU law. Because the rule clearly stops, for instance, a Belgian applying!

culvers

Loads of drivers at my depot live really far away and it doesnt cause them any problems. I would say you could give another address closer to the depot if it will help you get on. Then move closer before you actually start. Might sound unethical but i dont think any harm is being done.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I imagine the rule is partly there just to cut down on the raw number of applicants to make the process more manageable. Otherwise every toc would get every aspiring train driver applying for every vacancy. I wonder whether the requirement is legal under EU law. Because the rule clearly stops, for instance, a Belgian applying!

It doesn;t if the Belgian happens to live within 30 mins travel! Therefore there is no discrimination on grounds of nationality! If the advert stated that applicants must be English, that would be unlawful!

Status
Not open for further replies.