• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The AC Electrics: Classes 80-85, 86, 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Right from the word go there had been high speeds on the WCML. Apparently a little competition developed to do Euston to Coventry (94 miles) in under an hour. You are not going to achieve that sticking to 100mph. And in fact management tolerated up to 110mph. With 1960s layouts and vacuum brakes.

Experiences in the 1974 "speed up" were similar.
The Clansman was certainly booked to do EUS-COV in 63 mins in the 1976/7 timetable. I know that cruising at slightly over 100 in the 100-105 range was very common, logs of the time bear that out from when the WCML first became a 100mph railway. 110 and more seems to be less common, more when running late than the norm.

and I suspect OTMR wasn’t as universal as it is now.
I think that OTDRs only appeared from the 1990s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
Shame that BR went for the Class 90s rather than the 89 for the WCML. Even if its 125 mph capability wasn't used six powered axles on the Northern Fells would have been an improvement.

CW2

Established Member
One of the unwanted side-effects of class 86s (in their original form) running at 100 mph and more was the terrible punishment they gave to the track. The WCML became synonymous with rough riding - and eventually speed restrictions and slow-line weaves during daytime to permit p.way patrolling and track repairs.

I don't know if replacing the 4-axle 90s with 6-axle 89s would have been any better in terms of wear and tear. Possible a lighter individual axle load playing off against a greater overall weight and number of axles. Anybody who knows about track maintenenance care to comment?

On Moderation
The Clansman was certainly booked to do EUS-COV in 63 mins in the 1976/7 timetable. I know that cruising at slightly over 100 in the 100-105 range was very common, logs of the time bear that out from when the WCML first became a 100mph railway. 110 and more seems to be less common, more when running late than the norm.

I think that OTDRs only appeared from the 1990s
OTMR didn't become mandatory until the end of 2005, with only the new fleets fitted from the 1990s; most vehicles were modified in the run up to the 2005 deadline, so an 86 wouldn't have been fitted in the late 1990s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Shame that BR went for the Class 90s rather than the 89 for the WCML. Even if its 125 mph capability wasn't used six powered axles on the Northern Fells would have been an improvement.
Possibly down to cost and and the fact that the 90s were very similar to the 87s so perhaps a degree of homogeneity within the fleet as well. Also for the extra 22 tonnes over a Class 87/90 the 89 gives you only 745hp more, not a huge difference.

OTMR didn't become mandatory until the end of 2005, with only the new fleets fitted from the 1990s; most vehicles were modified in the run up to the 2005 deadline, so an 86 wouldn't have been fitted in the late 1990s.
I did say 'only appeared from the 1990s', I rather presumed that the 86s wouldn't have had it at this point. It seemed to be more from about 2002/3 when timing logs stopped showing many significant breaches of linespeed (and by significant I mean really doing say 110 in a 100 section sort of thing rather than trying for Mallard's record!).

Taunton

Established Member
Cecil J Allen, inveterate longstanding old school train timer right through from the pre-grouping era to the 1970s (he was on board Mallard's 126mph), and long used to steam and then Class 40 performance out of Euston, took his first run in 1966 in the week the mainstream Liverpool/Manchester service started. His heading in his Modern Railways column was "93mph at Willesden - Going Down!". He felt it was like something from a parallel universe.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

The 90s seemed to manage the Northern fells perfectly well.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
No-one seems to have mentioned that, when introduced, while most were numbered in the E30xx series, some, intended for freight work, were numbered in the E33xx series. They weren't like that for long - I never managed to see one. One was renumbered E3100 and seemed to spend its time on experimental work of some sort but never seemed to actually go out on the main line, just seemed to hang around in Crewe Electric depot.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Quite so. But what I describe was 1967!

Before my time, but my Dad confirms that he enjoyed some ‘spirited’ runs up the newly electrified WCML in the late 60s, and he timed trains at well over 110mph regularly.

Snow1964

Established Member
I believe the original spec (class 81-85, originally classes AL 1-5) was body mounted motors to reduce weight. It was then deemed unnecessary when the 100 locos for Euston extension (class 86) were added. Of course it was later found to cause too much track wear. 87s therefore went back to body mounted motors

The original locos were designed for dual voltage (6.25Kv) so had the transformer windings in groups of 4 (so they could be connected in series or parallel. However no 6.25kv sections were used on West Coast (Glasgow and East London had them, but they had been converted to 25Kv by time joined up)

Semi conductors were in their infancy in early 1960s, and high power versions hadn’t been developed at the time, so the rectifiers required large numbers of smaller semiconductors which made them expensive and not that reliable

From memory the 40 class 85s were built by BR using the best bits of the earlier batches, with the electrical equipment coming from the private companies (long before they merged together further)

Actually mergers happened during design and build phase, AL1s (81s) were British Thomson-Houston but they merged with Metropolitan Vickers, some parts got the merged AEI name, but they were built under subcontract by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon. Originally 2 of them would have been freight geared 80mph locos, but this was abandoned.

The locos were all similar in appearance as they were built to a British Transport Commission specification, provided each manufacturer kept to length, weight, power etc

xotGD

Established Member
One of the unwanted side-effects of class 86s (in their original form) running at 100 mph and more was the terrible punishment they gave to the track.
Hence the nickname "Jackhammer".

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Cecil J Allen, inveterate longstanding old school train timer right through from the pre-grouping era to the 1970s (he was on board Mallard's 126mph), and long used to steam and then Class 40 performance out of Euston, took his first run in 1966 in the week the mainstream Liverpool/Manchester service started. His heading in his Modern Railways column was "93mph at Willesden - Going Down!". He felt it was like something from a parallel universe.
I could well imagine, the performance must've been a revelation.

The 90s seemed to manage the Northern fells perfectly well.
If 87s could manage and they had a propensity towards high-speed wheelslip in the wet, a 90 should fare better with its far more advanced wheelspin protection system.

No-one seems to have mentioned that, when introduced, while most were numbered in the E30xx series, some, intended for freight work, were numbered in the E33xx series. They weren't like that for long - I never managed to see one. One was renumbered E3100 and seemed to spend its time on experimental work of some sort but never seemed to actually go out on the main line, just seemed to hang around in Crewe Electric depot.
As I mentioned earlier E3100 was involved in experimental stepless tap-changer trials with transductors and silicon rectifiers. It was originally numbered E3305 and it, like E3303 and 3304 was to be fitted with 'B' type 80mph freight gearing.

In the event only 3303 and 3304 was so equipped, 3305 had standard 100mph mixed-traffic gearing. 3305 waa renumered 3100 to reflect its experimental nature and in this guise 3100 was selected to undergo trials at the Office des Recherches et d'Essais.

It was decided that for this an 80mph speed characteristic was desired, by this point in November 1962 only E3304 had 'B' type 80mph gearing and so the two locos swapped bogies and thus 3304 became an 'A' type 100mph loco.

CW2

Established Member
If 87s could manage and they had a propensity towards high-speed wheelslip in the wet, a 90 should fare better with its far more advanced wheelspin protection system.
Once the 90s were correctly "tuned" they were fine, but I recall in their early days they were even more wheelspin-prone than class 87s, and also when taking power there was a loud hum over the coach PA system. It was all sorted out within a couple of months, and thereafter they seldom gave any problems.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Once the 90s were correctly "tuned" they were fine, but I recall in their early days they were even more wheelspin-prone than class 87s, and also when taking power there was a loud hum over the coach PA system. It was all sorted out within a couple of months, and thereafter they seldom gave any problems.
91s were similar, very light-footed until modifications were made to the rate that the power ramped up. I believe originally their acceleration characteristics would've been much more like the 90s until modified.

Taunton

Established Member
Post # 14 :)

As I understand it only E3303/4 even got out on the line. E3301/2 were regeared and renumbered even before commissioning, and E3305 was significantly reworked even before delivery as a technology demonstrator.

A short summary of the initial types is :

Orig TOPS Numbered TOPS Num Builder Works Electrical Works Rectifier

AL1 81 E3001-23 81001-23 BRCW Smethwick BTH>AEI Rugby Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3024-35 83001-12 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Mercury arc
AL4 84 E3036-45 84001-10 N British Glasgow GEC Witton Mercury arc
AL2 82 E3046-55 82001-10 Beyer Peacock Manchester MetVick>AEI Trafford Park Mercury arc
AL5 85 E3056-85 85001-30 BR Doncaster AEI Trafford Park Germanium
AL5 85 E3086-95 85031-40 BR Doncaster AEI Trafford Park Silicon
AL1 81 E3096-97 81024-25 BRCW Smethwick BTH>AEI Rugby Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3098-99 83013-14 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3100 83015 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Silicon

OK, IT cut/paste hasn't come out perfectly, but you get the idea I hope.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
As I understand it only E3303/4 even got out on the line. E3301/2 were regeared and renumbered even before commissioning, and E3305 was significantly reworked even before delivery as a technology demonstrator.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. Given the fact that the 100mph locos had mixed traffic gearing anyway and the specified freight loads weren't especially taxing I've never understood why they originally planned to have batches of 80mph geared freight locos. I could understand if the 100mph locos had express passenger specific gearing perhaps but not otherwise.

CW2

Established Member
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. Given the fact that the 100mph locos had mixed traffic gearing anyway and the specified freight loads weren't especially taxing I've never understood why they originally planned to have batches of 80mph geared freight locos. I could understand if the 100mph locos had express passenger specific gearing perhaps but not otherwise.
Possibly the lower-geared freight locos would have been capable of hauling greater loads without resorting to double heading?

Taunton

Established Member
Possibly the lower-geared freight locos would have been capable of hauling greater loads without resorting to double heading?
Didn't used to have such substantial freights in 1960, certainly not on the AC lines. Don't forget that most freights then had no continuous brakes, and needed to be controllable by the guards' van handbrake if they broke away from the loco. Even the faster freights were normally only partially continuously braked at the front, sometimes just by empty vacuum-fitted wagons marshalled in only for this purpose.

randyrippley

Established Member
One of the unwanted side-effects of class 86s (in their original form) running at 100 mph and more was the terrible punishment they gave to the track. The WCML became synonymous with rough riding - and eventually speed restrictions and slow-line weaves during daytime to permit p.way patrolling and track repairs.

I don't know if replacing the 4-axle 90s with 6-axle 89s would have been any better in terms of wear and tear. Possible a lighter individual axle load playing off against a greater overall weight and number of axles. Anybody who knows about track maintenenance care to comment?
At the time there was a belief among BR's civil engineering team that a high-speed Co-Co would be even harder on the track due to both vertical pitching and horizontal hunting around the central axle. They effectively banned Co-Co development for passenger trains

On Moderation
Post # 14 :)

A short summary of the initial types is :

Orig TOPS Numbered TOPS Num Builder Works Electrical Works Rectifier

AL1 81 E3001-23 81001-23 BRCW Smethwick BTH>AEI Rugby Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3024-35 83001-12 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Mercury arc
AL4 84 E3036-45 84001-10 N British Glasgow GEC Witton Mercury arc
AL2 82 E3046-55 82001-10 Beyer Peacock Manchester MetVick>AEI Trafford Park Mercury arc
AL5 85 E3056-85 85001-30 BR Doncaster AEI Trafford Park Germanium
AL5 85 E3086-95 85031-40 BR Doncaster AEI Trafford Park Silicon
AL1 81 E3096-97 81024-25 BRCW Smethwick BTH>AEI Rugby Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3098-99 83013-14 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Mercury arc
AL3 83 E3100 83015 Vulcan Earlestown EE Preston Silicon

OK, IT cut/paste hasn't come out perfectly, but you get the idea I hope.
The TOPS numbers presumably reflect what would have happened as 3 AL1s and 2 AL2s were written off before renumbering.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I believe the original spec (class 81-85, originally classes AL 1-5) was body mounted motors to reduce weight. It was then deemed unnecessary when the 100 locos for Euston extension (class 86) were added. Of course it was later found to cause too much track wear. 87s therefore went back to body mounted motors
Not body mounted, that only came in with the APT. They were bogie mounted but with some form of flexible drive so that the motor was supported by the primary suspension and not part of the "unsprung mass". The 86 had a "nose suspended" arrangement where the drive was rigid so that side of the motor moved up and down with the axle, the other side being attached to a pivot on the bogie frame.
Didn't used to have such substantial freights in 1960, certainly not on the AC lines. Don't forget that most freights then had no continuous brakes, and needed to be controllable by the guards' van handbrake if they broke away from the loco. Even the faster freights were normally only partially continuously braked at the front, sometimes just by empty vacuum-fitted wagons marshalled in only for this purpose.
There would have been electric part-fitted and unfitted freight on the southern WCML, but as part of the Weaver-Glasgow electrification project the catch points were removed from the sections including Shap and Beattock so only fully fitted freights were permitted.

Taunton

Established Member
One wonders why this didn't occur on high speed diesel routes - all of which had unsprung motors and were pretty much up to the 20 ton axle load.

Richard Scott

Established Member
One wonders why this didn't occur on high speed diesel routes - all of which had unsprung motors and were pretty much up to the 20 ton axle load.
Expect the motors were much lighter on diesels? Motors on a diesel probably rated around 400-500hp max (know those on a 45 are rated at 337hp) whereas an 86 will be 1000hp+ so must be considerably bigger?

Snow1964

Established Member

No diesel locos in 1960s had 2 axle bogies, and operated at 100+mph

The electric locos could unofficially run bit nearer 105mph
3 axle bogies are less likely to pitch (bounce) lengthways
Forces are not proportional to speed (forgotten but might be speed squared)

Although much of the track was replaced with heavier concrete sleepers for stability, the dynamic loading was pre computer modelling days. The lower ballast (often untouched from whatever had been there for decades) wasn’t understood then, and ‘wet’ spots occurred (the vibration fluidised some the material that oozed up, looking like a sludge, leaving sleepers not fully supported)

The TOPS numbers presumably reflect what would have happened as 3 AL1s and 2 AL2s were written off before renumbering.

They were indirectly replaced by 3 extra class 87s (87 033-5)

Was a need for about 60 extra electric locos when the Weaver Junction-Scotland electrification was done in early 1970s. But the stored (and unreliable due to Mercury Arc rectifiers) class 83 and 84 were modified with new rectifiers, and reinstated, instead of building extra class 87s

All the electric locos were also dual braked 1970-72, and some of the 86s got the flexicoil suspension

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
No diesel locos in 1960s had 2 axle bogies, and operated at 100+mph
All through the 1970s the Edinburgh-Glasgow "push-pull" with Class 27s, which I have written about here in the past from personal experience, were commonly run at well over their 90mph limit in the latter halves of the journey in both directions where it is slightly downhill to the termini. Four such locos every hour over the track.

Don't recall any track issues at all.

Richard Scott

Established Member
All through the 1970s the Edinburgh-Glasgow "push-pull" with Class 27s, which I have written about here in the past from personal experience, were commonly run at well over their 90mph limit in the latter halves of the journey in both directions where it is slightly downhill to the termini. Four such locos every hour over the track.

Don't recall any track issues at all.
As I pointed out earlier, those motors will be fairly small. Total output of 4 motors on a class 27 probably same as one on an 86. Not saying an 86 motor is four times heavier but will be substantially heavier than that on a 27.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Thanks for the additional information about the E3300 series - still learning something new after 60 years!

I always assumed that E3100 was so numbered just because there were 100 AC locos, and starting at 3001 meant that a loco numbered 3100 was inevitable; I didn't realise it was intentional to highlight the difference, and also that it was 80 max. Only times I saw it, it had cables taped along the bodyside and into the test coaches to which it was coupled. Does anyone know if it ever worked a revenue-earning train (before being subsumed into class 85)?

Ken H

On Moderation
BR did have the intention in 1985 to order 25 class 91/Mk4 sets for the WCML and included this in the procurement options for the ECML build of IC225s.
But eventually gave up on the idea and went with the cheaper option of class 90 and existing stock.
That was followed by the IC250 plan for the WCML, before eventually (with privatisation) opting for tilting Pendolinos with Virgin.
91/Mk4 kit was designed for tilt to be added later if desired. Its why the vehicle sides tapered inwards, to allow for tilt. They also had a 140mph capacity but was never used because signalling wasnt installed. Then there came in a requirement that speeds greater then 125mph needed cab signalling.

re the early ones. i think they were delivered with two pans, but one was later removed. But they used the space in the roof well to put some cylindrical tanks. Compressed air i think. They also made a loud howling noise, I believe by the traction motor cooling blowers. In Carlisle station they were deafening.

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
There would have been electric part-fitted and unfitted freight on the southern WCML, but as part of the Weaver-Glasgow electrification project the catch points were removed from the sections including Shap and Beattock so only fully fitted freights were permitted.

When the electrification to London was completed, Midland line freight was diverted via Market Harborough - Northampton partly to use productively the fleet of 200 A.C. locos. Most of these were up coal and down empty mineral wagons running as Class 8 or 9.
One of the curiosities was that it was considered necessary for the trains North of Northampton to have brake tenders, even though the traction was usually either a 'Peak' (133 tons) or a pair of Bo-Bos (type 1 or 2) - about 140 tons. South of Northampton, however, brake tenders were never used, even though AC locos weighed only 80 tons or so.
Perhaps not unexpectedly came the day when an AC loco's brakes were unable to hold a train coming down the bank from Roade to Northampton. Its runaway was stopped short by the presence of another down freight standing in Platform 3. Considering the speed, I recall that casualties were light - the guard of the stationary train, with poor visibility due to the overbridge, was luckily paying attention and had a remarkable escape that's still sometimes talked about at re-unions. And brake tenders started to be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.