• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The double ended D Stock units

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Several of these are always the wrong way round for my photos - are some of them undrivable from one end or am I just being unlucky?

The ends I am always finding "inner" when I need them "outer" for a photo are:

I also haven't seen 7532 and 7536 around lately...???

Getting these nine driving cars would clear my D Stock list for photo... :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
I did read a post somewhere from a driver who said that (a cab) would not now be fixed and so would always be an inner, he was annoyed because it was the only one he hadnt driven.

I would assume that there are a few with major defects that are not cost effective to fix now.

455driver

Veteran Member
Just after you have taken the side on picture you just know you will see it as an end coach when you cant get a picture of it. ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yeah, I saw 7532 this afternoon - in the middle! First time I've seen it for months! Seriously considering doing the side on pictures - I have 2½ weeks left on my current permit...

On the plus side I've got the 1996 Stock down to 2 units ( what's the betting they are coupled together and on maintenance...?! 96067 and 96114... ) and cleared the single cab 1973 Stock units - but like with the D Stock my remaining double cab units always seem to be the wrong way round for me to get the outstanding driving vehicles!

Anyway, returning to the D Stock, if 7510 is now leading that is good news; as recently as Friday it was 7511 leading...

How often are these things split and placed on the other end of a rake?

Nym

Established Member
Cant speak for the D Stock, but there is between 2 and 6 re-forms per night on the 1972TS. With a fleet of 35+1 and 36 A and D end units.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've cleared the ( remaining! ) 1972 Stock for photo though, so they can re-match those rakes as much as they like! :) ( Makes no difference with them anyway; they're all still the same way round all the time aren't they? )

Keith Jarrett

On the plus side I've got the 1996 Stock down to 2 units ( what's the betting they are coupled together and on maintenance...?! 96067 and 96114... ) and cleared the single cab 1973 Stock units - but like with the D Stock my remaining double cab units always seem to be the wrong way round for me to get the outstanding driving vehicles!

Not 96114? My last 1996 set that I need for a ride! I saw it about two months ago and it was with ..... 96067. I will find it sometime - hope you run across it too!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah.... so they are coupled together, eh? So at least if I snap one I should be able to snap the other at the same time!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks; my next day off will be towards the end of the week though - fingers crossed it won't get reformed to the other end in the next few days! :)

Nym

Established Member
I've cleared the ( remaining! ) 1972 Stock for photo though, so they can re-match those rakes as much as they like! :) ( Makes no difference with them anyway; they're all still the same way round all the time aren't they? )

They are indeed, the 'centre cabs' are not up to passenger service standards and only 3346 has Speed Sending and a Tripcock that is mintained, it has been removed from all the other 33xx cars in service. The centre cabs are also not fitted with;
Radios, SCAT, RBPS, Speedos, Door Controls, Reho Lockout Updates, SPAD Protection, PA/DVA, Lighting Invertors, Updated Tail Lamps, Lighing Controls, Heat & Vent Controls, HVAC, etc.

They all got turned when Stonebridge Park opened, or round about, I beleive they where run around the Watford Triangle to get them the other way round way before the Thalys S40 signalling came live for the JLE. (The 'A' end is the London Road end, this is backwards ;))

It also used to be possible to join an UNDM (Uncoupling non-driving motor) to either the A or D end of a 4 car unit, but I beleive this facility has now been bonded out and is no longer maintained.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not 96114? My last 1996 set that I need for a ride! I saw it about two months ago and it was with ..... 96067. I will find it sometime - hope you run across it too!

Keith - I just had it confirmed that these two units are currently stopped for maintenance, so there is no point in either of us spending time looking for them at the moment.

Keith Jarrett

Keith - I just had it confirmed that these two units are currently stopped for maintenance, so there is no point in either of us spending time looking for them at the moment.

Peter
Thanks for that - saves me looking for a while. Big question is will 96067 & 96114 emerge from maintenance still coupled together? I will go hunting some of the other units that I still need to ride instead such as my remaining 1992 & 2009 stock.
Keith

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
7536 should out from Ealing Common tomorrow, leading.

Is this still leading? And is 7510 still leading? Might have an opportunity on Wednesday... Fingers crossed.... ( any of the others switched round yet??? )

Edited to add:

I have just been give the answers off list; yes both 7510 and 7536 are still outer and both are diagrammed for tomorrow.

The others I believe are all still drivable at both ends,, so I shall just have to pick them off one by one under the passing through rule as they become available.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
7500 leading after many months in the middle, revealing poppy still applied to 'M' door! (As has 5539).

Keith Jarrett

96067 is out and about again - saw it today and got all excited until I saw that it is now coupled to 96038 so that begs the question "what' set is 96114 coupled to and is it in traffic"?

89-763-733

I travelled on 96114+96075 on August 7th this year but only read this thread today

Status
Not open for further replies.