• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The exciting railway event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimboM

Established Member
I don't particularly disagree with the OP's view that things are somewhat mundane currently - a little depressing even. Not a great deal happening in the immediate future, meanwhile freight is on the decline and many "proper" locos and the likes of HSTs and 225s face uncertain futures and are being replaced in the main by new trains which all look (or are) the same...

On the other hand, we are near start of most probably the biggest investment in railway infrastructure and rolling stock this country has seen since the railways were initially built. Crossrail (a huge engineering feat and the biggest ever in Europe) is well on the way, HS2 will most probably happen and be on-going for the next decade or two, then Crossrail2 / HS3 etc. On top of that, there's IEP, new TPE LHCS, brand new Caley Sleeper stock for the first time in 40 years, DRS buying brand new innovative locos... etc. etc. In the slightly longer term, I reckon there's a quite a lot to look forward and it'll be far from mundane.

woodhouse122

For me it's the sheffield to rotherham tram train hopefully in summer 2018 (unless network rail change thier minds again :( ) also looking forward to bashing the azuma's and northern's new class 195 caf units :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd forgotten about Northern's new units. That'll be something good to look forward to.

Sunset route

Established Member
I live a mere simple life so it's either the new Thameslink sidings at Horsham actually being used or bringing into use the axle counters for primary train detection in Balcombe Tunnel :lol::lol: and a little further afield what are our TMS screens and maybe our ARS screens going to look like and how easy will it be to interact with them on our panels (ready for the December 2018 Thameslink super duper timetable) :lol::lol::roll:

The Ham

Established Member
The announcement of what will happen under the new south western franchise (although I'm not holding out much hope for much in the way of changes prior to 2019).

Otherwise it'll be going on one of the new 80x's to see what they are like (and not just making a judgement based on the fact that they are replacing stock that are good and that when the 22x's did that it was bad).

GW43125

Established Member
bringing into use the axle counters for primary train detection in Balcombe Tunnel :lol::lol:

On that note, I'm looking forward to a time when axle counters don't fail with alarming regularity, shutting down a mainline for a day or two at a time...

*Oink, oink, flutter, flutter*:lol:

Andyjs247

Looking forward to East West Rail and being able to go by train from Oxford to Milton Keynes. And now that the HS2 hybrid bill has gained Royal Assent earlier today the prospect of the first spades in the ground on both projects draws closer!

Fuzzytop

HSTs and 225s face uncertain futures

But at least some members of these classes look set to continue into the medium term. While (for me) it's a shame that the days of powering down from YRK-KGX in a mk3 will soon be over, at least HSTs and 225s are being withdrawn gradually and not with the same speed as the Deltics...

Sunset route

Established Member
On that note, I'm looking forward to a time when axle counters don't fail with alarming regularity, shutting down a mainline for a day or two at a time...

*Oink, oink, flutter, flutter*:lol:

You must have the c**p bunch as on the whole our axle counters have been very reliable from day one, only time will tell about what batch Balcombe tunnels come from lmao :lol:

D6975

Established Member
Doing the Edinburgh-Wick sleeper. Spend a day up there, go to Dunnet Head, then the sleeper back to Glasgow the next night.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Things I am looking forward to:

- New Northern / TPE / VTEC stock rolling out
- Increased evening / Sunday services on the Aire & Wharfe lines (hopefully the Sunday service will start early enough to allow connection onto Dales Buses from Ilkley!)
- Increased and extended London <> West Yorks capacity with the 80xs
- Better TPE capacity
- The barriers at Leeds eventually reading the new paper tickets (well one can hope in vain!)
- Better connections with Ordsall Chord opening to Manchester Airport

Things I am not looking forward to:

- The loss of the direct Leeds - Warrington Central service when the Liverpool-Scarborough moves onto the Chat Moss (I know eventually there will be the Leeds-Chester via Bank Quay, but this is likely to be slower, and possibly no first class, something we use regularly on TPE)
- Reduced seating capacity on the 333s when they get their refurbs, they can be tight enough as it is with the 3x2 seating in the end cars without losing seats and gaining standees
- Possible industrial action with the introduction of DOO on Northern

I look forward to shaving with a piece of a 220/221, or a 170!

I agree wholeheartedly with the voyagers. I'm not so sure about the 170s. I think they are pretty good stock, but aren't being used for what they should be. They are neither suitable for 3h+ intercity journeys, nor for the crush loadings on the New Street commuter services.

squizzler

Established Member
I thought it worth resurrecting this thread to see if I was the only one going crazy waiting for positive developments we know are coming:) We have had a lot of bad news regarding electrification and infrastructure investment, but whilst there is a lot to be positive about, all the lovely new trains (except the Crossrail and Thameslink stock) being just over the horizon. Crossrail and Thameslink civils are mostly done and whilst important, the testing and preparation for service does not provide big stuff to look at in pictures. HS2 and east-west rail are apparently going ahead but the spades not yet in the ground in a meaningful way.

The darkest hour is before the dawn, so they say.

nlogax

Established Member
- The return of 442s to (much of) their proper stamping grounds. Even if they will be re-tractioned and re-liveried

- Mk 5 sleepers

- er..

- ..nope, that's it

Holly

Electrification from Acton Bridge to Sandbach via reversal at Northwich.
Just 12 more miles of mostly single track.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Electrification from Acton Bridge to Sandbach via reversal at Northwich.
Just 12 more miles of mostly single track.

This thread is for actual things that are happening, not wishful thinking/fantasy.

The Halton Curve being modified to enable two way running and a new direct service from Helsby to Liverpool for the first time in 40 years. I just hope that the service is successful and that other services also use this mighty new route :)

Status
Not open for further replies.