• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The IKEA Tube Map walks - would anyone do them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
As discussed at length, the new Tube Maps are sponsored by IKEA and as a result little IKEA blobs have appeared on the Tube Map. My question is would anyone actually do these in reality?

Putting aside the argument of trying to lug new furniture onto public transport, some of the options appear decidely unwelcoming. Whilst something like Ampere Way (Tramlink) plops you nicely next to the Croydon IKEA, some of the others leave a lot to be desired. Neasden > Wembley IKEA is about a 15 minute walk a large chunk of which is along the busy North Circular, whilst Tottenham Hale is a huge 1.8 mile, 30+ minute walk from the station to Edmonton IKEA. Ironically Meridian Water places you nicely next to but is obviously not on the Tube Map, and is on the non-sponsored Rail and Tube connections maps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
If it is IKEA you would have difficulty putting all the walks together and then find you have a bit still to fit in.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Horizon22. I'm a bit slow on the uptake on this one. :s

What's an "IKEA Tube Map Walk" as such? The quickest walking route from any given London area IKEA store to its respective nearest NR/LU/Tramlink station or similar?

Roger1973

I can say (not sure whether it's something to be proud of) that I've never set foot in an Ikea.

Some people don't have much option but to use public transport, and if it's something fairly light then it's probably practical. And I understand you can order stuff in the shop for later delivery. If I was in the market for furniture, then being able to go and see it before placing an order would probably be a good thing.

But yes, nearly 2 miles does seem a bit much for a claim that a station is 'near' something.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
But yes, nearly 2 miles does seem a bit much for a claim that a station is 'near' something.
IKEA Warrington is a fair old 2.5+ miles schlep from either Warrington Central or Warrington Bank Quay stations. Only a tiny proportion of shoppers will likely ever be going there by rail and then walking the last bit.

IKEA Manchester, by contrast, is comparatively much nearer to Ashton under Lyne tram/bus/train stations.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Whenever I bought stuff at Ikea Wembley that I could take home on public transport, I got the bus from outside the store (or the Tesco nearby, at least) to Kilburn and got on the tube there.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Some people could get public transport there and a minicab / Uber home with their stuff.
I think that the reality is that overwhelmingly people going by public transport Tottenham or Wembley IKEAs would go there on a London Bus. At least until Tottenham closes in a few months.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think the grim reality is that anyone willing to pay TfL a contribution in return for some blobs on the tube map is going to be welcomed with open arms. Ikea obviously think it's a good idea, so we're stuck with it.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I think the grim reality is that anyone willing to pay TfL a contribution in return for some blobs on the tube map is going to be welcomed with open arms. Ikea obviously think it's a good idea, so we're stuck with it.

Also, potential sponsors come far worse than Ikea.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
@Horizon22. I'm a bit slow on the uptake on this one. :s

What's an "IKEA Tube Map Walk" as such? The quickest walking route from any given London area IKEA store to its respective nearest NR/LU/Tramlink station or similar?

If you look at the new Tube Map, there’s several IKEA blobs next to stations. For instance one is marked next to Tottenham Hale (Edmonton IKEA) - this was a discussion about how feasible it might be to actually get to the store on foot from that station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve been to all the Ikea London branches by Public transport. Edmonton Ikea used to have an Ikea shuttle bus from Tottenham Hale station, and Wembley used to have a bus from Stonebridge Park.

Don’t think I’d ever use Neasden to go to Ikea Wembley, with it being so well connected by numerous buses to the various lines, even the Central line to Hanger Lane is about ten minutes by bus (obviously dependent on North Circular traffic!) I was at the DOV in Wembley and went to Ikea afterwards and that wasn’t the most pleasant walk, requiring going round the service area at
the back of the stadium, through an industrial estate, down a dark path alongside the River Brent and then through the St Raphaels council estate.

Much of Ikea these days is not about the furniture but the experience, including the restaurant / bistro and the marketplace area that sells household items like kitchenware, candles, rugs, pillows, etc. Indeed their new shops such as the one just opened at Hammersmith and soon to be Oxford Circus are mostly there to sell foodstuffs and these marketplace items, and allow people to see a limited range of the furniture, but to arrange delivery.

Ikea branding on TfL is not new (although the logos on the maps by stations are new); I have ticket wallets that are over ten years old and promoted how to use public transport to get to the (then) four London shops.

JaJaWa

Established Member
London Underground: 'I went to IKEA based off the new Tube map and it was an absolute farce'​

MyLondon transport editor Callum Marius took on the urban assault course between one Tube station and the Swedish retail giant​

Callum Marius
1_Cal-IKEA.jpg
All smiles before the trek back to Neasden Tube station (Image: Callum Marius)
The newest version of the official London Underground map has been subject to plenty of negative and rightful criticism, it's too messy. The lines wiggle, the stations are cluttered and the important visual axis provided by the straightness of the Central line has been ruined by the arrival of the Elizabeth line. However, there was one other particular commercial design choice which drew my attention.

As part of an £800,000 deal with international retail giant IKEA, TfL has placed its logo next to Tube stations 'nearest' to each of its London stores. While this seems relatively uncontroversial, there's one location I thought was problematic - Neasden. Growing up in the area, I sensed a problem. Whilst Neasden station on the Jubilee line is by far the physically closest Tube station to the IKEA store at Brent Park just 400 metres away as the crow flies, the walk between the two is an unpleasant urban assault course which not even the promise of meatballs with lingonberry jam could placate.

At the bottom of the new Tube maps, IKEA invites prospective customers to 'Take the Tube to IKEA - visit our stores by public transport', so I decided to do exactly that and off I headed to Neasden. Perhaps the walking route between the two had been improved since the sponsorship deal or my local knowledge was out of date?

READ MORE:'I travelled the entire 78 mile, 41 station Elizabeth Line route to find out what Londoners really want from it'

0_IKEA-wayfinding.jpg
Along the walking route, there are just two signs for IKEA and just one for the Tube station in the reverse direction and they aren't the easiest to spot (Image: Callum Marius)
Arriving at Neasden station, there's no direct signage which tells you how to get to the IKEA, however the way out sign in the ticket hall does indicate turning left for 'Brent Park Superstores'. I then relied on my local knowledge to find the quickest way as any signage to IKEA has either been spray painted over or removed.

I essentially followed a footpath along the side of Neasden Tube depot, used a grim underpass under the North Circular Road, a bridge over the railway, cut through the bus terminus in the Tesco car park adjacent to the IKEA and then walked across the multi-storey car park to the front entrance.

Altogether this took around 15 minutes. The walk was full of broken glass, a number of abandoned trolleys from the Tesco, a used condom (!), plenty of graffiti, poor street lighting, a number of secluded areas out of public view and very thick, poor-quality air undoubtedly thanks to the six lane North Circular Road which forms a barrier between IKEA and the station. It is hostile to pedestrians.

I'm happy to report that the IKEA itself was a delight, the staff couldn't have been nicer, I enjoyed the latest offerings of flatpack furniture and Scandinavian snacks. They've even seemingly named one of their best-selling products in my honour. In the essence of sustainability, given I arrived by public transport, I picked up a sturdy six foot-long wooden shelf from the "Circular Hub" which caught my eye.

2_North-Circular-subway-Neasden-Dog-Lane.jpg
Lugging the large wooden item through the dark, gloomy underpass under the North Circular brought a new definition to the phrase 'walk the plank' (Image: Callum Marius)
And back I went, the shelf as long as the narrow pavements along the North Circular Road are wide. I very nearly took out a Boris bus whilst scuttling back through the bus terminus. The underpass along the North Circular Road was clearly not designed for the conveyance of furniture as I chicaned my way through the various filters and around the bends either side. More broken glass, same used condom and a handful of confused faces thinking 'what is that man doing?!' as I got closer to the station, clearly not many people are going to IKEA via Neasden Tube.

After 20 minutes carrying a huge wooden plank through industrial Brent on a Friday afternoon, I began to feel a little like Jesus if I'm totally honest. As I rose up the bridge to a Calvary-looking Neasden station, I felt I was paying the price for the sin of commercial sponsorship - I was facing the ultimate test of consumerism.

Getting into the station was awkward, but not impossible. Getting on the train was very awkward as the shelf couldn't be stood easily upright in the arched-roof Jubilee line carriages. The looks on fellow passengers' faces was tantamount to crucifixion. At least the train wasn't busy at the time of my return journey, I imagine doing this in time with the rush hour flow or school traffic.

0_Jubilee-line-plank.jpg
Jubilee line trains do not have much provision for furniture even though they link IKEAs at Neasden and North Greenwich and are now advertised as doing so(Image: Callum Marius)
For the avoidance of doubt, there is no direct bus between Neasden Tube station and the IKEA, and there is no reasonable alternative walking route. There is however, a direct bus between the IKEA and Wembley Park Tube station (route 206) and two direct buses between the IKEA and Harlesden station (routes 206 and 224), which would probably offer an easier public transport journey solution than Neasden even if not the most 'natural' choice.

Tottenham Hale is shown with an IKEA logo even though a bus journey on route 192 is required to get to the store. God knows how many people will attempt to take their furniture home via Tube when the Oxford Street store opens soon.

0_Cal-Willesden-Green.jpg
Success after an arduous journey! (Image: Callum Marius)
While I accept my journey proves that it's theoretically possible to get to IKEA via Neasden Tube, it was an absolute farce, involving 35 minutes of walking, inadequate signage and a horrendous route unsuitable for what it is indirectly being advertised as. Indeed, on IKEA's website, if you select 'get directions', you are sent to Google Maps which throws up this walking route.

The sponsorship deal might be a win for both TfL and IKEA but if it's not a win for prospective customers of both organisations then it is no good. I'd urge Tube map gods, retail magnates, and local authorities to look at this particular example again.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As discussed at length, the new Tube Maps are sponsored by IKEA and as a result little IKEA blobs have appeared on the Tube Map. My question is would anyone actually do these in reality?

Putting aside the argument of trying to lug new furniture onto public transport, some of the options appear decidely unwelcoming. Whilst something like Ampere Way (Tramlink) plops you nicely next to the Croydon IKEA, some of the others leave a lot to be desired. Neasden > Wembley IKEA is about a 15 minute walk a large chunk of which is along the busy North Circular, whilst Tottenham Hale is a huge 1.8 mile, 30+ minute walk from the station to Edmonton IKEA. Ironically Meridian Water places you nicely next to but is obviously not on the Tube Map, and is on the non-sponsored Rail and Tube connections maps.

With regard to lugging furniture, there are options such as public transport there, taxi back. Or do the London ones have the short term (hourly) van hire facility?

Assuming I owned a car I'd be using that, though, unless I'd only gone to browse.

jon0844

Veteran Member

I think these Reach sites are almost as bad as posting Daily Mail links. Total and utter clickbait by people who write the most bizarre stories that try to seem exciting and exclusive, but are usually grossly exaggerated or just a story about someone doing mundane things like taking a train and then making out it was some crazy adventure that nobody else has ever experienced. I expect they're asked to churn this s**t out and end up just writing about something they have done on their day off - like going to BK and getting a burger with extra cheese, and then turning that into a 'Whopper with Cheese is what everyone needs to be experiencing' story.

Anyway, I digress, I have gone to Ikea by train a few times to get bits and bobs from the marketplace (never tried carrying furniture, but have seen people try) and there's almost always a bus that passes near and connects you to a tube/railways station. That said, when I went to Bletchley to go to the MK Ikea, I walked and didn't even check for a bus, and it was quite pleasant - if a little longer than I expected. Only went there as the London stores were out of stock of the item I wanted.

Ikea now deliver just about anything for a modest* fee (and can build it for you too) so you can just go to get ideas, measure up, make comparisons etc - then leave empty handed, after maybe having a hot dog or ice cream.

* It's around £15+ which is fine for furniture, but not tealight candles or napkins. I am sure they'll adapt their service in the future to offer cheaper delivery for smaller items and, hopefully, items from the Swedish shop.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've carried smaller items home from IKEA on public transport, the largest being a coffee table (and of course some food from the bit at the end, they always get me there!). Never tried it in London though, just on the 229 bus from Birstall to Batley back when it actually served Batley.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Surely the principle would be to take small items home yourself, like any other small shopping, and then use one of IKEA’s many delivery options for any larger stuff you might choose to buy.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Surely the principle would be to take small items home yourself, like any other small shopping, and then use one of IKEA’s many delivery options for any larger stuff you might choose to buy.

This.

zero

I've walked from IKEA Wembley to Neasden station with my purchases many times, when I lived next to a Jubilee line station.

PeterY

Established Member
I can say (not sure whether it's something to be proud of) that I've never set foot in an Ikea.
You're not the only one. I've never been in an IKEA store either and probably never likely to. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.