• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The last coal train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marty56110

I believe that the Tarmac cement plant at Dunbar uses only Solid Recovered Fuel made from waste material, so no coal to there for several years. Will there be an outpouring of nostalgia when the last SRF train runs?
A coal train from Redcar has been running for the last few months, in fact it’s ran today and will depart this evening back to Tees Yard

Previous to that it was coming via road.

I work in a signal box and have them coming past but not often
Any idea if there's any decent way for someone like me (just an enthusiast) to find out when these will run? I understand RTT has them "As Required" but this can be a bit tricky to track every diagram

West Burton coal store is being removed and taken back to Immingham - by road!
That's insane, surely it'd be more efficient by rail? I know High Marnham was done by rail, seems funny that the same can't be done for West Burton.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Ratcliffe on song tonight 3 units fired up all evening biggest use of coal in over 18mths. Lets hope they have booked some ships and trains for restocking ahead of the winter!!

mac

Ratcliffe on song tonight 3 units fired up all evening biggest use of coal in over 18mths. Lets hope they have booked some ships and trains for restocking ahead of the winter!!
Generating 3.2% of our electricity and that's when it's still warm

Chester1

Established Member

Is a large volume of gas flowing into Europe currently? This time last year we burnt coal to help our neighbours build up their gas tanks for winter. I would be surprised with current weather if it was actually necessary to use coal last night to avoid a black out.

Am I right in saying that FL currently don't operate ANY coal services? Iirc they don't deliver to Ratcliffe and their last job was West Burton, so is this the end of FLs coal ops?

Oxfordblues

The last coal trains in Wales look like being the occasional deliveries from Minffordd to Boston Lodge and Porthmadog Harbour.

Last edited:

Western 52

Have the Cwmbargoed trains ended now? I've not seen any for a while.

Also, is rail still taking any coal to Port Talbot Tata works for coking?

MikePJ

It appears the end of basic steelmaking is upon us: the blast furnaces at Port Talbot will close. https://www.theguardian.com/busines...aces-3000-jobs-at-risk?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

There's also a statement here about the closure of Ffros-y-Fran:

Following the cessation of coaling on 22nd November 2023, a Section 106 agreement was entered into allowing the movement of coal offsite until 27th December 2023.

An extension has been agreed between Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council and Merthyr (South Wales) Limited until midnight on Monday 8th January 2024, to allow for the processing or movement of coal due to inclement weather and matters outside of the reasonable control of the owners.

My interpretation is that "offsite" in this case means away from the opencast workings themselves - i.e. taking coal to the washeries and rail loading point.

Last edited:

40C

Have you (or anyone else) seen any coal trains going to Radcliffe-on-Soar this winter?
Coal has been going to Ratcliffe from Immingham H.I.T. The last that I have noted was 6M81 on Tuesday 16th.

Geeves

Established Member
I believe some Immingham to S Wales have ran too right after the closure of the local mine...

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Coal has been going to Ratcliffe from Immingham H.I.T. The last that I have noted was 6M81 on Tuesday 16th.
Ratcliffe has been on full song for almost the last week with the cold snap and its clear the ESO needs it to run even when wind is high. Each unit needs c200T/hr so the stockpile wont last long.

mac

Have you (or anyone else) seen any coal trains going to Radcliffe-on-Soar this winter?
Someone has already answered this but everyday they are booked to run but only occasionally do

56xx

66 028 CWMBARGOED 19-01-2024 (2).JPG
66 028 about to depart Cwmbargoed this morning (19-01-2024) for Margam on the day the closure of the Blast Furnaces at Port Talbot was announced. There are a few more trainloads left so there should be e few more workings.

40C

6V66 has departed Immingham Bulk Terminal CP1 with destination shown as Margam T.C.

Jacob Didcote

4C93 passing through Barry this morning, tomorrow could be the last but…who knows!!

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 117

rower40

Burn coal to generate electricity to operate pumps to drain flooded land caused by climate change unusually high rainfall.
Just sayin...:)