• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The last mixed traffic services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Did the 33s run through or were they swapped for something else somewhere on the way? During reversal at Exeter maybe if it ran via the Honiton route?

They came off on the Western in favour of a 47 , probably Acton.

The best ever and most lucrative was a Ramsgate to Inverness MOD , which had a pair of 73's to Willesden Brent - then an 86 and an Inverness 47 forwards from Mossend. Wish now I had kept those TOPS consist printouts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ostrich

I've seen photos of Network SouthEast Class 50-hauled Cotswold Line services in the 1980s/90s which had a Mk1 full-brake coach at one end for parcels. Would this count? Apparently this was common practice to attach a full brake (I think it's classified as a BG - Brake Guard) coach to the end of a Cotswold Line train (so Hereford or Worcester-bound) running from London Paddington, right up until the end of loco-hauled services* on the route.

Early or mid 1980's, the first up train of the day from Exeter to Waterloo would have an empty Newspaper Van behind the Class 50, from memory. The van was all-over BR blue livery.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Early or mid 1980's, the first up train of the day from Exeter to Waterloo would have an empty Newspaper Van behind the Class 50, from memory. The van was all-over BR blue livery.

You had the (in) famous 0140 Waterloo - Yoevil Jct papers , which had passenger accommodation (of various quality !) , and formed an early up service back to Waterloo - then ECS to Clapham Yard. (I think)

randyrippley

Established Member
You had the (in) famous 0140 Waterloo - Yoevil Jct papers , which had passenger accommodation (of various quality !) , and formed an early up service back to Waterloo - then ECS to Clapham Yard. (I think)
left Yeovil around 06:45, with the first up from Exeter following around 30 mins later. Wasn't unknown for a 4-TC/33 to turn up instead- presumably the papers got carried on the seats??? I have read that the regular passenger coaches were from an Oxted line set

But for a long time the Waterloo-Exeter sets were eight or nine vehicles with a parcels van at each end. Almost anything could turn up - BG, GUV, pigeon van, 6-wheeler............

Peter C

Established Member
Interesting. So was that common on NSE trains or was it just certain locations/services which had them? I assume the newspaper van (GUV?) was being taken back up to London after a Down service the night before or similar?

-Peter

delt1c

Established Member
BG's adapted for parcels and other NPC,s were painted all over blue in the 70's and early 80's. It was the full BG's which were Blue and Grey

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I've seen photos of Network SouthEast Class 50-hauled Cotswold Line services in the 1980s/90s which had a Mk1 full-brake coach at one end for parcels. Would this count? Apparently this was common practice to attach a full brake (I think it's classified as a BG - Brake Guard) coach to the end of a Cotswold Line train (so Hereford or Worcester-bound) running from London Paddington, right up until the end of loco-hauled services* on the route.
This doesn't count as a mixed train. Parcels vans were classified as Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock and trains including or even fully formed with those vehicles could officially be operated as passenger trains (although sometimes at lower speed). Over the years quite a number of types that the casual observer would describe as goods vans were similarly classified (indicated by being marked XP) although in later years the short wheelbase four-wheelers were removed from passenger service, probably because of the number of derailments they caused when run at speed.

BG was a Brake Gangwayed so had accommodation for the guard including a handbrake but also an end gangway. These could be seen in either passenger or parcels trains. Either had to include a brake (=guard's) vehicle of one type or another, and most other parcels vans were not brakes. Occasionally a passenger (half) brake coach could be seen in parcels trains, either to provide accommodation for staff or simply because no BG was available.

randyrippley

Established Member
Interesting. So was that common on NSE trains or was it just certain locations/services which had them? I assume the newspaper van (GUV?) was being taken back up to London after a Down service the night before or similar?

-Peter

As I said above, for a long time the Waterloo-Exeter sets all had two, one at each end

Ostrich

-Peter
Yes, that was also my assumption, Peter. Being a Crewkerne resident at the time, I never saw the 01:40 / 06:45 Yeovil Junction services mentioned by ChiefPlanner and randyripley, which certainly sound interesting! I accept these don't count as mixed traffic consists; I just remembered the "Newspapers" branding on that leading vehicle. I don't actually recall the Exeter sets having 2 such vehicles, but that's more a comment on my fading memory than anything else .... :lol:

Veteran Member
My 1977 Scottish Region Sectional appendix (with 1979 ammendments booklet) says in respect of the Mallaig line under local instructions that fitted freight vehicles (4 or 6-wheeled) of not less than 15ft wheelbase may be worked in passenger trains on the line. ...
Presumably then normal linespeed was permissible for the mixed trains on this route?
I would imagine so - 15ft+ wb vehicles covered all the normal parcels stock, which was permitted at 60mph IIRC (75 earlier), and the Mallaig line has nothing higher.

Peter C

Established Member
This doesn't count as a mixed train. Parcels vans were classified as Non Passenger Carrying Coaching Stock and trains including or even fully formed with those vehicles could officially be operated as passenger trains (although sometimes at lower speed). Over the years quite a number of types that the casual observer would describe as goods vans were similarly classified (indicated by being marked XP) although in later years the short wheelbase four-wheelers were removed from passenger service, probably because of the number of derailments they caused when run at speed.

BG was a Brake Gangwayed so had accommodation for the guard including a handbrake but also an end gangway. These could be seen in either passenger or parcels trains. Either had to include a brake (=guard's) vehicle of one type or another, and most other parcels vans were not brakes. Occasionally a passenger (half) brake coach could be seen in parcels trains, either to provide accommodation for staff or simply because no BG was available.
Oh OK - thanks for explaining it. Now I think about it, in some of the Working Timetables I have from that sort of period, the passenger and parcels trains are all grouped together - I assume because they, as you said, are both (or can both be) classified as passenger trains.

Thanks,

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, that was also my assumption, Peter. Being a Crewkerne resident at the time, I never saw the 01:40 / 06:45 Yeovil Junction services mentioned by ChiefPlanner and randyripley, which certainly sound interesting! I accept these don't count as mixed traffic consists; I just remembered the "Newspapers" branding on that leading vehicle. I don't actually recall the Exeter sets having 2 such vehicles, but that's more a comment on my fading memory than anything else .... :lol:
I agree - a 4TC being used for such a purpose is really quite intriguing! :D The two newspaper vans are also interesting - the residents of the south-west must have been very up-to-date on current events!

-Peter

Veteran Member
Most of the SR paper trains only had an odd BSK and loads of vans. The Yeovil was one exception, because of its return working (and relatively few papers!), but there was also an 0245 Bournemouth/Portsmouth which ran to IIRC 3 passenger vehicles; this returned ECS to Clapham Yard (I wasn't up at 0245!) but for a year or two it ran passenger Brockenhurst-Eastleigh or some such.
The "proper" Exeter sets were more typically formed when I remember then with 2x BFK in the middle.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I would imagine so - 15ft+ wb vehicles covered all the normal parcels stock, which was permitted at 60mph IIRC (75 earlier), and the Mallaig line has nothing higher.

It wasn't as fast either then anyway.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As MOD Contract Manager I ran a Ramsgate to Pembroke Dock one day with a pair of 33's , 2 MK1 coaches for officers and other ranks and about 15 loaded warflats with (German) armoured vehicles.

Caused a few heads to be turned at Clapham Junction I am told. About 1984.

That must have been splendid. Even better would have been seeing them unloaded at destination, and then driven through the middle of Pembroke en route to Castlemartin (Merrion camp).

Penmorfa

This may not qualify as a mixed train, however it is quite a jaw dropping combination in the context of today's railway:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This may not qualify as a mixed train, however it is quite a jaw dropping combination in the context of today's railway:

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You know I do love threads like this, a small part of me also hates them because I'll never get to see these sorts of things for myself. Oh for someone to finally invent that time machine!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well since you brought up Motorail, here is how it used to be prior to that:

(not my photo)

Taunton

Established Member
The one I recall was an afternoon passenger service from Saltash into Plymouth (there used to be a shuttle local service that did this, before the road bridge was built), whose stock in the 1960s was for some reason always two Gloucester RCW single units in multiple. This particular service used to haul two or three of the 6-wheeled milk tankers in from Saltash. They were taken off at Plymouth by the station pilot Class 08 and added to the larger milk train building up there for London behind a Warship, but I believe (though never saw it) that at Saltash the dmu cars had to do the shunting themselves.

The loaded milk train vehicles were apparently very heavy when full, and the mainstream milk service was run at full speed. The guards accommodation in the rear vehicle was a spare BSK. I don't know if any passenger was ever admitted, but on other overnight supposedly all parcels/mail/news services on the WR it was normal to find a few passengers in them - sailors returning to Plymouth base especially.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

That used to be the 1405 off Glasgow the motorail, one of the slower semi-fast services timed only for 100 max which was the top speed for the GUVs anyway so it didn't affect the timings.

BigB

There were quite a few DMU’s and a few EMU’s converted for parcels traffic in the 80’s were these ever attached to scheduled passenger services ?
Several bubble cars were converted to parcel cars in the early 80s and often ended up coupled to 2 car DMUs - as they were multiple worked it made for interesting haulage on the Chat Moss and CLC lines between Manchester and Liverpool! I'm not sure which other services they were attached to, or their return journeys - they were usually on the later trains from Manchester.
CCTs i.e the ex Southern vans were also a strange but welcome addition at the time, but again it's not clear how these were dealt with at Lime Street or returned. It is possible that they were stored at Edge Hill and formed a return Red Bank parcels on Saturday morning via Chat Moss but that was more a suspicion than a fact in those pre RTT/internet/sensible clothes days....

nlogax

Established Member

Amazing to think this used to happen here. That's a wonderful glimpse into the relatively recent past.

delt1c

Established Member
Several bubble cars were converted to parcel cars in the early 80s and often ended up coupled to 2 car DMUs - as they were multiple worked it made for interesting haulage on the Chat Moss and CLC lines between Manchester and Liverpool! I'm not sure which other services they were attached to, or their return journeys - they were usually on the later trains from Manchester.
CCTs i.e the ex Southern vans were also a strange but welcome addition at the time, but again it's not clear how these were dealt with at Lime Street or returned. It is possible that they were stored at Edge Hill and formed a return Red Bank parcels on Saturday morning via Chat Moss but that was more a suspicion than a fact in those pre RTT/internet/sensible clothes days....
I was thinking more of the 127's, 114,s and 105's which were converted and painted red, The Bubble cars were class 128 ( built as parcels) and 131 ( converted from122,s) these were often used with passenger services . Also the 302's converted for GE , saw them many times on their own but never with a passenger service train.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There’s a great photo here of a DPU hauling a couple of ballast wagons on the Cambrian in 1984. This would have been around the time of the woodworm issue effecting Barmouth bridge I guess?

6D8CCC11-41A2-4F61-AD80-3A95CBF82A11.jpeg
There must have been quite a few similar occurrences on the line while the bridge was being repaired.

Taunton

Established Member
Bow Street is not actually on the Barmouth Bridge line, it's at Aberystwyth, but maybe the Cambrian had got into the general habit of using the parcels cars (which had more powerful engines than normal dmus) as surrogate locos.

I have written before about a late 1970s afternoon trip from Inverness to Edinburgh with some visiting Americans. At Stirling we changed from our Glasgow service to an Edinburgh-bound Met-Cam waiting in the bay, and by astute forwarding of them while others looked wildly around for directions, managed to secure the front row seats in the unit, which after the remaining crowd entered the front saloon and had to go out again I received some praise for. Five minutes before departure one of the onetime WR Gloucester bubble cars converted in Scotland to a parcels car crept out of a siding, into our own bay, coupled up right in front of our noses, and then led all the way to Edinburgh :(

Ostrich

Completely by coincidence, I was looking through my old 1966 Ian Allan Combined Volume last night. A photo in the DMU section, entitled "Swindon 3-car cross-country unit near Cradley Heath on a Birmingham-Hereford working" clearly shows it's hauling what appears to be a 4 wheel van, possibly with an observation side-light window.

randyrippley

Established Member
I agree - a 4TC being used for such a purpose is really quite intriguing! :D The two newspaper vans are also interesting - the residents of the south-west must have been very up-to-date on current events!

-Peter

The two vans were there as general purpose parcels carriers rather than newspapers

Status
Not open for further replies.