• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The London Underground 'Network of Track'

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Great idea, we could call it the 'Banklin' line

And given the - ahem - realistic ideas elsewhere in this forum about how to link up Channel Tunnel trains with national networks here, I'm surprised no-one has yet suggested something like a new Shanklin-Stockholm sleeper service...

thomalex

Am I the only one who thinks that, since "City" was renamed to match the rest of Bank station 80-odd years ago, the line should be renamed "Waterloo & Bank line"?

I personally don't have much of a problem with it as it takes you from Waterloo to the City so it still works as a name, same with the Hammersmith and City line which doesn't even call at Bank.

Yes, I dare say probably you are.

But why not go on and suggest renaming Monument as Bank (platforms X and Y) (and I can't be bothered to work out what X and Y might be).

I certainly think they should be named as one now having such large sprawling stations isn't exactly unusual on the Underground. Interchange between lines in the combined station is also now much improved with the recently opened new tunnels.

Rather than losing the fairly iconic Monument name I would go with 'Bank & Monument'

D7666

Rather than losing the fairly iconic Monument name I would go with 'Bank & Monument'
So then someone else will come along and suggest renaming W&C line to Waterloo & Bank & Monument line.

This is exactly way going around arbitrarily renaming stations for the sake of it does not work - fix one "problem" to create another. And that is before the expense. Renaming a station is a lot more than just changing the station nameplates. Someone else can start listing what needs to be done in that respect.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I personally don't have much of a problem with it as it takes you from Waterloo to the City so it still works as a name, same with the Hammersmith and City line which doesn't even call at Bank.

I certainly think they should be named as one now having such large sprawling stations isn't exactly unusual on the Underground. Interchange between lines in the combined station is also now much improved with the recently opened new tunnels.

Or "Bank" could become "Bank [for Monument]" and "Monument" could become "Monument [for Bank]"?

Ambient Sheep

Didn't it used to say at least the latter at some point? I have a vague early childhood (early-1970s) memory of seeing such signs somewhere.

EDIT: Or is that the point you were trying to make? ☺

D7666

so, the Waterloo & Bank (for Monument) line then.

QED on why to not do this sort of thing.

Lockwood

Given how we shorten names, the Baker Street and Waterloo, Gospel Oak to Barking Line, Wimbledon to Edgware, would we really want to rename to Waterloo & Bank?

MPW

Given how we shorten names, the Baker Street and Waterloo, Gospel Oak to Barking Line, Wimbledon to Edgware, would we really want to rename to Waterloo & Bank?
:lol: you're right. We absolutely should do that.

The new W&C entrance (now the 2nd newest Bank entrance!) is under the Bloomberg building. So other portmanteau options are: Looberg, Blooloo, and Bloowater. Bloomberg would be forced to pay a sponsorship of course, and Bluewater shopping centre also roped into the name tax if 3rd option chosen. Sponsorship monies would fund public toilets at the stations.

D7666

Yeh I thought of that one too but refrained.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Didn't it used to say at least the latter at some point? I have a vague early childhood (early-1970s) memory of seeing such signs somewhere.

EDIT: Or is that the point you were trying to make?
No, in fact; I have no memory of any "... for ..." name there. Not that my not remembering such proves anything... I must dig out an old tube map and see...

bramling

Veteran Member
So then someone else will come along and suggest renaming W&C line to Waterloo & Bank & Monument line.

This is exactly way going around arbitrarily renaming stations for the sake of it does not work - fix one "problem" to create another. And that is before the expense. Renaming a station is a lot more than just changing the station nameplates. Someone else can start listing what needs to be done in that respect.

To be fair, I can see an argument for altering the current situation, as it certainly does cause an element of confusion for unfamiliar users. I suspect that Bank / Monument will have seen an increase in such users over the last couple of decades, it’s certainly no longer dead at weekends like was once the case. That said, personally I wouldn’t bother changing it for the reasons you suggest, but I can see why some might suggest doing it.

Ken H

On Moderation
LT trains all used to go to Acton Works for overhaul. So all these connections were important.

When they built the Victoria Line, consideration was given to a larger tunnel diameter. While one factor was that a larger diameter tunnel was more expensive, and fitting a larger diameter through some places with lot of underground works (Kings Cross?) was difficult, getting the Vic line stock to Acton was also a consideration.

LT changed that and now Acton refurbishes components, and these are used when doing major overhauls in depots.

Jan Mayen

When I was about 8, so about 50 years ago, I insisted we (mother & older brother on annual summer day trip to London) travel on the esculater link from Monument to Bank. I remember being disappointed
Edit: should be 'escalator', not escUlatEr.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
The 1949 London Plan recommended diverting the London, Tilbury and Southend line away from Fenchurch Street down a tunnel that would link with the Waterloo & City and then at the other end the line would rise to join the Waterloo suburban lines. The Waterloo & City’s tunnels would have to have been enlarged.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The 1949 London Plan recommended diverting the London, Tilbury and Southend line away from Fenchurch Street down a tunnel that would link with the Waterloo & City and then at the other end the line would rise to join the Waterloo suburban lines. The Waterloo & City’s tunnels would have to have been enlarged.

I imagine it would also have required a complete rebuilding of the line at the Waterloo end, considering the current platforms aren't exactly well aligned to join the SWR lines out of Waterloo ;)

But that actually sounds not a bad plan - shame they didn't put it into practice. And I guess might be a bit harder to build today with the DLR and the new station concourses around Bank.

D7666

Seehof

What is an “esculater” that Jan Mayen refers to in post 45? I have never been to Bank station.

Jan Mayen

Usually referred to as a travolator
a flat moving walkway
Indeed. However, in this case it's a mistake on my part. I meant escalator, an inclined moving staircase. The one we went on between Monument and Bank 50 years ago seemed short (it was marked on the Underground map as 'Escalator Link' and I, being curious, wanted to see what it was, as it couldn't be the same as all those other escalators on the Underground surely!)
The Travolator going to/from the Waterloo and City Line at Bank was something else, which I don't recall using until much later.

Lockwood

A link to the LT museum showing an old tube map. It calls it a 1985 map and that matches the map and year on another site, but the URL implies early 90s.

Interestingly, I saw on the other site a 1990 map showing a "walkway link". I don't remember that.

Also, Monument is labelled as "Monument for Bank" on the linked map. Did that make ever appear at the station, or was it just a map thing?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Also, Monument is labelled as "Monument for Bank" on the linked map. Did that make ever appear at the station, or was it just a map thing?
Monument for Bank
and similarly
Bank for Monument was used on platform roundels until the early-1990s refurbishment

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
Indeed. However, in this case it's a mistake on my part. I meant escalator, an inclined moving staircase. The one we went on between Monument and Bank 50 years ago seemed short (it was marked on the Underground map as 'Escalator Link' and I, being curious, wanted to see what it was, as it couldn't be the same as all those other escalators on the Underground surely!)
The Travolator going to/from the Waterloo and City Line at Bank was something else, which I don't recall using until much later.

I suspect that was also when the tube map was drawn such that it made the "escalator link" look as if it was very long.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Usually referred to as a travolator
a flat moving walkway
The escalator link between Bank and Monument is just an ordinary escalator, and quite different from the Travolator connecting the W&C platforms to the main ticket hall at Bank.

Going back to the original query, connections between lines are as follows. The key one is the Picadilly, which is cionnected to:
- the suburface Lines at Rayners Lane and Hamersmith-Acton
- the Northern at Kings Cross
- the Victoria at Finsbury Park
- the Central via the link at Ruislip depot

The Jubilee is connected to the Met at Neasden, and the Bakerloo at Baker Street

Thus it is possible to get from the Bakerloo to any other line (except the Drain) via the Jubilee, Met, and Piccadilly.

There are also connections to NR at Ruislip, Amersham, Queens Park, Gunnersbury and Wimbledon

Last edited:

Sunil_P

Easily solved by calling it Bank & Waterloo.