• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The M&SWJR: Gone forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2022

Really annoying that a potential means of future expansion is impossible, because the canal people are dead set on an expansion into Swindon that in my view is impossible. I mean looked at from another way, if the canal folks gave that up for expansion to Cirencester it would be a win win for both sides. The line could bring in people to the canal connection at the water park. As the area is already quite big for tourism the potential here can be seen.

I didnt know they were offered the Marlborough section. A great shame, but looking at it on google earth (i was planning to build the line for railworks) its quite clear it would require massive investment to get any length. Has anyone seriously consider Ludgershall-Grafton Junction? Though the line is severed at either end (by a road and the other end by the canal bridge being removed) that looks quite viable still. In fact I think there was some surviving MSWJR buildings on this section including a water tank.)

I completely agree, as I'm sure many of the railways staff would.

I think at the time they were offered the section to Malborough the line was in better shape than it is now, certainly a fair few of the bridges would have been intact. The stations would have been easier to re establish etc...but there were clearly reason to chose the section they did, although I don't know why personally. I will ask if I ever get the chance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I completely agree, as I'm sure many of the railways staff would.

I think at the time they were offered the section to Malborough the line was in better shape than it is now, certainly a fair few of the bridges would have been intact. The stations would have been easier to re establish etc...but there were clearly reason to chose the section they did, although I don't know why personally. I will ask if I ever get the chance.

Yes please do. Id be curious to know why.

On the one hand it clearly IS a great thing to have a preserved line in Swindon. My concern is that in many respects they are in a bad spot. They suffer quite badly from vandalism, and as Swindon grows in size, my concern is they are going to start getting squeezed out.

I wish them all the best for the future though. It was a charming line, and deserves to be remembered.

D2022

Yes please do. Id be curious to know why.

On the one hand it clearly IS a great thing to have a preserved line in Swindon. My concern is that in many respects they are in a bad spot. They suffer quite badly from vandalism, and as Swindon grows in size, my concern is they are going to start getting squeezed out.

I wish them all the best for the future though. It was a charming line, and deserves to be remembered.

When I'm down that way after new years I shall pop in and have a chat, would be good to catch up with them.

I agree on the spot not being ideal, like you said, vandalism is an issue, a few years back the depot got done over causing alot of hassle and money, its also been the subject of targeted attacks, such as the one on Woodbine when vandals wrecked the radiator from the inside:roll:

With regards to them feeling the squeeze, yes and no. They have the lease on the formation, so can't go getting pushed out or have the sections of formation they want then built on by developers. But with the council wanting to extend the ever increasing black hole of Swindon out towards Cricklade, they will find themselves encroached on. With the added issues housing and railways in closeness have, vandalism, theft, trespass, noise complaints etc.

You've only got to look at their southern ext. which runs within feet of the houses in Priory Vale. The residents complain about noise and soot, after being told many times buy estate agents there's a railway in your back garden. Dog walkers love to trespass on the line to get to the other side, where the fields are open. The kids nick EVERYTHING! the railway leaves down there, I'm surprised the track is still there:lol:

But yes, best wishes to them, lovely bit of history being kept alive.

The railway was (i believe) called 'The Spratt & winkle', not quite sure why i took an interest in this line but i did buy a book on it..... trouble is i can't find it to tell you the title (typical).

Given the railways route im surprised this line AND the Winchester-Newbury-Didcot line were closed, they both would have made good freight routes to the north instead of the current route via Reading.
I may be wrong but I think the Spat and Winkle line was from the Romsey to Andover line. I assume the M&SWJR tains would've used this line though but I don't think it was part of the M&SWJR?

Status
Not open for further replies.