• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

the most over the top restrictions introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not so much over the top as illogical:

At Tottenham Hale, if you wish to use the older footbridge at the London end of the station to change platform from the down platform to the up platform, the instruction is to keep right.

Using the same footbridge from the up platform to the down platform, the instruction is to keep left...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bantamzen

Established Member
This is what we've come to now. Unbelievable (click the tweet link to see the video - unless there's a way I can embed it?).

What a heartless way to react. I know they have been given instructions, but at least they should try to do it with a bit of humility not go charging in like a bouncer breaking up a fight in a nightclub.

Quite possible that the video is real, but Darren Grimes isn't a name I'd be willing to click on if a reliable source told me there was a hundred quid in it for me. Extremists have got a long history of taking quite innocent clips and pictures and using them wildly out of context

Well the story did make the national news, there's a clip a little further down the thread. In this case I don't think it really matters who has Tweeted / ReTweeted it, the story does seem to be genuine and if we are honest probably isn't really surprising any more. We are literally eroding away our society's humanity in order to be "covid safe". It is simply heartbreaking.

mikeg

Established Member
This one made me chuckle... Its a bus shelter style waiting room at Spital station with entrance and exit only signs. Given that there are only two seats available the signage seems a tad surplus to requirements. In fact given each seat is opposite the access/egress, woudln't it be better that you simply walk in and out of the same hole in the shelter?

Attachments

• IMG_20201008_181846.jpg
    IMG_20201008_181846.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 56

Bikeman78

Established Member
This one made me chuckle... Its a bus shelter style waiting room at Spital station with entrance and exit only signs. Given that there are only two seats available the signage seems a tad surplus to requirements. In fact given each seat is opposite the access/egress, woudln't it be better that you simply walk in and out of the same hole in the shelter?
It's the same at Bromborough. It was raining when I was there so the four passengers squeezed into the shelter and walked out of the closest exit when the train arrived. The rule makers are completely detached from reality.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My nature orientated friends now tell me that a face covering must be worn in bird hides (a.k.a draughty sheds with holes in them).

Richard Scott

Established Member
Nearly had an argument at hospital today when went for a scan and hand held thermometer said I had a temperature. Took coat and jumper off and went down to 36.6, what was it then as that's cold? Said to nurse that those aren't exactly a good way of gauging temperature to which she reluctantly agreed but said they had to gauge it with something! So almost a wasted trip (would have insisted on a proper thermometer before giving up) due to using an inaccurate instrument, is this what NHS has come to?
Wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it mods.

DustyBin

Established Member
Nearly had an argument at hospital today when went for a scan and hand held thermometer said I had a temperature. Took coat and jumper off and went down to 36.6, what was it then as that's cold? Said to nurse that those aren't exactly a good way of gauging temperature to which she reluctantly agreed but said they had to gauge it with something! So almost a wasted trip (would have insisted on a proper thermometer before giving up) due to using an inaccurate instrument, is this what NHS has come to?

That reads like a similitude of the entire COVID-19 response!

adc82140

Established Member
Many hospitals stopped doing the temperature tests yonks ago.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm honestly at a loss for words with this one:

Covid: York self-isolating students told 'wait behind in fire'

Students self-isolating at the University of York have been told to wait in their room in the event of a fire and let others out first.

The university's Health and Safety Services told students to wait for a minute before leaving "to allow non-isolating individuals to exit".

In total 288 staff and students at the university have tested positive for coronavirus.

The university said it had since "updated and changed" its guidance.

However, it has not yet made it clear if the advice to self-isolating students is still applicable.

The instruction was sent out in a email to self-isolating students earlier this week.

It said the "additional guidance" had been developed to "maintain social-distancing from non-isolating residents".

'Nearest refuge'

The guidance stated: "If you are self isolating and the fire system in your accommodation building is activated please follow these procedures to ensure your safety.

"When the alarm sounds; stay in your room for one minute then make your way to the nearest refuge (this will allow non-isolating individuals to exit the building)."

Self-isolating students were then asked to contact the university's Security Services from a refuge area and wait to be told if they needed to evacuate the building.

NYFR Tweet: Our Business Fire Safety Team were made aware of this yesterday and contacted the University who will be issuing new guidance

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said officials had contacted the university after being made aware of the guidance.

A University of York spokesperson said: "Our advice and guidance has been updated and changed.

"We take the health and safety of our students and staff extremely seriously.

"All students are required to undertake a mandatory fire safety induction and this clearly states that all students should evacuate the building immediately, meeting at the designated fire assembly point.

"Students are reminded that in gathering at the fire assembly point, they should adhere to social distancing guidelines."

Bantamzen

Established Member
Wow, I thought the suggestion on here that masks would have to be put on before people would be allowed to leave a burning building was bad enough, but this goes way beyond the pale. This is what happens when you leave decision making to uninformed morons.

Jamiescott1

My health and safety officer at work has a lot of common sense.
None of this propping fire doors open to reduce touch points or other such measures that may minimally reduce covid-19 transmission but increases the risk of more deadly and dangerous things

trainophile

Established Member
The brainwashing is complete :frown: .

I'm quite pleased that in a lot of places the entry door to public toilets is being kept open though. Always thought it's pointless scrubbing our hands then having to pull the door open to get out. Or in my case going back into the cubicle I used to fetch some loo roll to open it with, whereupon I have to carry it around for ages looking for a bin!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I'm quite pleased that in a lot of places the entry door to public toilets is being kept open though. Always thought it's pointless scrubbing our hands then having to pull the door open to get out. Or in my case going back into the cubicle I used to fetch some loo roll to open it with, whereupon I have to carry it around for ages looking for a bin!
Thought it was just me that was OCD about that! ;)

trainophile

Established Member
Thought it was just me that was OCD about that! ;)

I was on a cruise ship a few years ago and there were notices in the toilets telling people to use paper (of which a nice quality pile was available next to the door) to make their exit, along with a bin to dispose of it on the outside. Very civilised.

jumble

Wow, I thought the suggestion on here that masks would have to be put on before people would be allowed to leave a burning building was bad enough, but this goes way beyond the pale. This is what happens when you leave decision making to uninformed morons.

The uninformed Moron is now much better informed having been educated by the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue service
Why this imbecile did not contact them first before putting their clients into potential danger is anyone's guess

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said officials had contacted the university after being made aware of the guidance.
A University of York spokesperson said: "Our advice and guidance has been updated and changed.
"We take the health and safety of our students and staff extremely seriously.
"All students are required to undertake a mandatory fire safety induction and this clearly states that all students should evacuate the building immediately, meeting at the designated fire assembly point.
"Students are reminded that in gathering at the fire assembly point, they should adhere to social distancing guidelines."

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The brainwashing is complete :frown: .

Really there should be a move to either "saloon doors" (push from both directions) or automatic doors in that use, or indeed no doors and just a "chicane" to block view. The "walkers" contaminate the "washers" even in normal times if you have to use a doorhandle to exit the toilets.

Jamiescott1

I was on a cruise ship a few years ago and there were notices in the toilets telling people to use paper (of which a nice quality pile was available next to the door) to make their exit, along with a bin to dispose of it on the outside. Very civilised.

When I've lived in Canada and the States they have clips so you can open the door with either your foot or in some cases your elbow

adc82140

Established Member
Really there should be a move to either "saloon doors" (push from both directions) or automatic doors in that use, or indeed no doors and just a "chicane" to block view.

Or alternatively the British have to stop being so prudish about the whole thing and just have an open door like our continental cousins.

adc82140

Established Member
Which Continental cousins? Germany, for instance, normally has a door to the "vestibule" where the sink is and another door to the toilet area.
France. The segregation between male and female bogs seems to only be an advisory too.

Scotrail12

Just been told at Starbucks that I now have a 1 hour limit on how long I can sit in their store.

No real reason given - is this government guidelines?

Regardless - I'm fuming, I now can't do my university work. WTH am I supposed to do now????

Scotrail12

Another option is to bounce round different coffee places, perhaps?

That means I have to make several different purchases to justify sitting in. Also doesn't work if I have an hour long tutorial which can often overrun and take time to start up etc.

ETA: Still can't find any government guidelines suggesting that this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.