• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
But I am! I went away to make a map - and speaking of which...

Here we are - a map of every NtS location to date. (Stations with a black dot in the centre of the red dot have been done twice.)

Personally, I think the two red-black dots between Ipswich and Felixstowe are very telling (a three-station branch with four appearances) :p

It hasn't come out as well as it could have because it was ever-so-slightly too tall for the 1024px height limit at first...

Attachments

• NtS Map.png
    NtS Map.png
    369.9 KB · Views: 21

Robinson

Clue 4: In the off-peak, all train services at this station run on routes that are entirely within the London Travelcard area. (Bad luck that both the stations guessed on clue 3 also match this one.)

Robinson

Clue 5: This station handles more trains, but fewer passengers, than the one other station which has the same suburb as part of its name.

Ivo

Established Member
Carshalton Beeches

I'm tempted to play this game in person with those of you coming to Bristol tomorrow :p

On that note, open floor if correct. Because I'll be in Bristol tomorrow (!)

clagmonster

Established Member
This could get a penalty for any number of reasons, but I shall gamble and go for Penge West. Ivo, if it breaches multiple clues, do I lose a point for each breach?

clagmonster

Established Member
The gamble paid off.

Clue 1:
This station is south of Inverness (Ivo, let me know whether this eliminates sufficient stations).

Ivo

Established Member
Norwich

Ivo, if it breaches multiple clues, do I lose a point for each breach?

No. There is a precedent for answers failing more than one clue, and I have always hit them for -1 only. Not that it matters this time.

Clue 1:
This station is south of Inverness (Ivo, let me know whether this eliminates sufficient stations).

Bit late now :|

I am going to insist that a minimum of roughly 20% of stations are eliminated in the first clue (I won't complain if we get things like 19.5% for instance). On the other hand, this clue eliminates only ~1.5% of stations. My requirement wasn't really specific the first time round so I shall let this go - but next time I shall have to insist on it. Rather than "south of Inverness", we would be looking at "south of Carlisle".

clagmonster

Established Member
Clue 4:
This station has precisely 5 platforms in use, but has, during my lifetime, had 6 in use.

sonic2009

Established Member
Still not thinking - only one guess per clue! If you give an impossible response you have to wait!

That is the first time I will have had to mark a Penalty as an E. That's a rather serious offence...

I didn't know that you couldn't guess again. You could let me off for not knowing.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Ivo

Established Member
I didn't know that you couldn't guess again. You could let me off for not knowing.

Rule 6.2 clearly shows that providing multiple responses is not permitted. Rule 6.3 clearly shows that this Penalty is non-negotiable.

6.2 The following Penalties may be applied to competing players:

• Penalty C: Providing a response that does not match a clue [one point deducted]
• Penalty D: Providing a response that has already been provided [three points deducted]
• Penalty E: Providing more than one response in relation to any one clue [three points deducted]
• Penalty F: Editing a response [ten points deducted]

6.3 Penalties A, D, E and F are non-negotiable. However, in instances where the application of Penalties B and C may be considered unfair, for example because any given clue was too marginal to be judged reasonable, these Penalties may be withheld. Where not withheld, Penalties B and C may be appealed if the affected player feels the penalty applied is harsh. Any player who repeatedly makes unreasonable appeals may be suspended from the game temporarily, but no further Penalties will be applied.

I have also surfaced the following upon a deeper analysis of the Rules:

4.2 Answers provided that do not match any clue provided without reasonable cause may be subject to a Penalty. Such answers still stand however, and the answer’s provider may not try again until another clue has been set.
4.3 All competing players may provide one response after each clue set by the Turn Player. In the event that any one player provides more than one guess, he incurs a Penalty and only the first guess will be considered, even if the later guess is correct.

Last edited: