• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The rapid decline of Bournemouth’s Yellow Buses network

Status
Not open for further replies.

baza585

It was the depot NX were after.
It is far bigger than they need though. Unless they have grand plans .......

Time will tell.

I think they spent a fair sum on Southcote Road to improve it?

They can probably squeeze a few more into Poole, some into Southcote, and also move out some of the coaching work to Pimperne if really pushed.
Yes they have improved Southcote but it is still quite small and cramped. AFAIK it is only the M1, 13 and 23 that operate from there; the rest are Poole.

Agree they can squeeze a few more into Poole, and shift some coaching to Pimperne but I guess until things settle down in October after the uni comes back we won't really know.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

I suspect the Yellow depot may be too large and too expensive for anyone to want to take on. Part of the problem?

AB93

Yes they have improved Southcote but it is still quite small and cramped. AFAIK it is only the M1, 13 and 23 that operate from there; the rest are Poole.

Agree they can squeeze a few more into Poole, and shift some coaching to Pimperne but I guess until things settle down in October after the uni comes back we won't really know.
How many Bournemouth-living former Yellows drivers they pick up will be willing to grind their way through the traffic to/from the depot at Poole every day in the longer term will no doubt be something Go South Coast have to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surreyman

I suspect the Yellow depot may be too large and too expensive for anyone to want to take on. Part of the problem?
If National express are taking on the lease of Yeomans Way and the engineering staff then it is likely that Lucketts will move in from Bournemouth Airport and N.E will look to base more nat express coach operations.
They might even sub-lease some parking space to GoAhead Morebus!!

Snow1964

Established Member
They say they've got new buses for the Unibus routes (and I did see a couple in Bournemouth depot this evening) and presumably had enough space there to take them before this happened. As for drivers, that's going to be a trickier ask - but they'll probably see an influx of ex-yellows drivers rather quickly.

Maybe I am mixing up with somewhere else, but I thought they were not registered, and have been allocated 72 registration plates, so can't go into service until 1st September

baza585

If National express are taking on the lease of Yeomans Way and the engineering staff then it is likely that Lucketts will move in from Bournemouth Airport and N.E will look to base more nat express coach operations.
They might even sub-lease some parking space to GoAhead Morebus!!
That would solve issues for both parties but add to the impression of a stitch up.

APT618S

Maybe I am mixing up with somewhere else, but I thought they were not registered, and have been allocated 72 registration plates, so can't go into service until 1st September
There are 10, fleet Nos 1686-1695 with 22-reg (HJ22 U..) according to Bus Lists on the Web.
Picture of 1686, credit to Hobgoblin737:

BenS123

The last bus to leave Bournemouth is scheduled to leave now (18:00) and all buses will continue to their destinations and then terminate.

RELL6L

A sad end. No service at all tomorrow then main arteries covered from Saturday, will be interested to see how that goes. Some routes lost though.

341o2

Established Member
Just got in having seen the 1730 departure from Tesco New Milton destination Somerford.Would that be the last working to that destination?
Agree, a sad end, not even "an announcement will be made on Friday"
Feel sorry for the staff

When Nat Ex take over the Yellow coaches business will they have to operate the Megabus services?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Obviously it's not news now, but in order to provide a source:

It's sad to see such a long-standing operator go to the wall.

Bournemouth Transport Ltd, which trades as Yellow Buses, will end the operation of all services beyond Thursday 4 August after administrator Milsted Langdon was unable to find a buyer for the troubled business.

Yellow Buses employs around 300 staff, although it is understood that some quickly left once it fell into administration on 29 July. At that time, Milsted Langdon aired hopes of selling the business to “a large national operator,” stating that such negotiations were well underway with an expected rapid completion.

However, Administrator Simon Rowe confirmed on 3 August that no solution could be found, with “every [potential] buyer we spoke to [feeling] that the prospects were not commercially viable” owing to the scale of financial challenge.

A provisional buyer for the associated Yellow Coaches operation has been found, however, with National Express having confirmed that it is in “final discussions with administrators to purchase the coach and engineering operations” of that business. The PLC adds that it will not be purchasing Yellow Buses.

National Express says the deal for Yellow Coaches will safeguard around 50 jobs and the scheduled services operated on its behalf by that business.

Mainline421

Will this be the last Yellow bus then?
As far as I can tell that was the late running 17:56 1 from Christchurch, on the map above. Theoretically it should have been the 17:55 1a from New Milton but that did not run its full route. Was back in Bournemouth today, so thanks to impromptu trip I may have even been the last passenger. Regret not getting a better photo, but when I saw that 1a was gonna try and photograph that at Gervis Place. Might try putting the ticket on ebay ;)
last ever yellow.jpg

Attachments

• last ticket.jpg
    last ticket.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 133

geoffk

Established Member
Summer timetables are in place don't forget so less drivers and vehicles needed. Depending on demand in some of the other areas too with regards to summer timetables, they could loan in some drivers.

Then you've got the fact they are encouraging Yellows drivers to move over.
But TUPE won't apply to Yellow Buses drivers will it as the company is not being taken over.

JD2168

Sad to see the end of Yellow Buses & hopefully the employees will be able to find new jobs quickly. Good news that the coaching side has been bought by National Express & more have covered the routes.

Sad to see the end of Yellow Buses & hopefully the employees will be able to find new jobs quickly. Good news that the coaching side has been bought by National Express & more have covered the bus routes.

PTR 444

Established Member
Does the demise of YB now make Bournemouth the largest town within Great Britain to only have one local bus operator?

duncanp

Established Member
There is nothing on the website to indicate that services have ceased running, although this fact is mentioned on Facebook and Twitter.

I guess the amdinistrators don't care about people who may be mislead into thinking that a bus service may be running tomorrow, and who turn up at a bus stop only to wait in vain.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Surprised they finished at 6pm; thought they'd continue until end of play today. As others have said; a very sad end. My final journey today on a Yellow was on their "Poetry" branded bus.

Yellows worked a shuttle minibus service for staff between Bournemouth station and Bournemouth T&RSMD. Will that continue?

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
But TUPE won't apply to Yellow Buses drivers will it as the company is not being taken over.
Correct, they will be made redundant, and are free to find themselves another job.

Those working for coach division, and any engineering staff would get TUPE if they are sold to another operator.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Yellows worked a shuttle minibus service for staff between Bournemouth station and Bournemouth T&RSMD. Will that continue?
Depends if it was the bus part of the business or the coach part.

If it is the former then no, the company has ceased to trade. If it is the coach part then it should probably continue.

The only minibuses I remember the company currently having were some Mercedes Sprinters with the coach part of the company

nesw

I’d think that the Castlepoint garage would be too large for just coaches and possibly with unattractive leasing fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.