• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"The Route Masters: Running London's Roads"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Sorry for starting a new thread, the other one has been locked.

Just got this email from the BBC which might be of interest to people:

Many thanks for getting in touch about the last episode of 'The Route Masters'.

I've had this query from other audience members wondering why the series seemed to have stopped at part 5.

But I'm happy to tell you that the final part is ready for broadcast. At the moment it's due to be shown on Thursday 30th January at 21.00 but please keep an eye on the schedules as this can change.

I hope that's been some help.

Best wishes,

Paul Carson

BBC Enquiries Team

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
Seeing as the episode's title is Fighting Crime, we can probably guess!

anthony263

Established Member
Was there a reason why it wasn't shown as part of the original run?

Well there was a certain former prime ministers death last year which threw the TV schedule into a bit of chaos. The BBC probably wrre looking for a slot of put it in and with the recent deaths of cyclists in London perhaps if there are any inccidents involving cyclists in this episode they didnt want to air it at the time.

Karl

On Moderation
Just a quick 'heads up' for tonight's final episode on BBC2 at 22.00hrs.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/191...te-masters-running-londons-roads#.Uu6o0fuACUk

The Route Masters: Running London's Roads

Season 1 Episode 6 of 6

Fighting Crime A look at efforts to cut crime across the network, including the work of 1,800 officers in the Safer Transport Command unit of the Metropolitan Police, which is funded by Transport for London. Detective Tony Barun investigates a case in which a young man appears to have been kicked through the top window of a moving double-decker, while Sgt Darin Birmingham mounts a crackdown on drug-related crime at Vauxhall bus station. Last in the series. Standalone episode concluding the series last shown in July 2013.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nice to see TfL refer to penalty fares as fines!

Good episode though.

Be3G

Established Member
My local area even made a brief appearance (when the N279 driver was being shown) which made a change from a series that generally felt fairly inner-zone-centric.

GodAtum

On Moderation
lol blanking the Mi6 building. I'm surprised at the strategy meeting Vauxhall was a problem. I'm sure many MI6 workers commute there so security should be a high priority.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Check it now.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems to be pulled again.
No it has gone now. If it's any use, it says it's on BBC2 NI on Thurs at 11:35pm - which you should be able to get if you have cable or satellite.

Butts

Veteran Member
I thought this was an excellent episode and of great interest to myself at least.

One thing I didn't understand was why TFL had a Metropolitan Police special squad attached to and funded by them for chasing fare dodgers and other miscreants.

Why not BTP ? - do they only have jurisdiction on The Railways.

Also they were far to courteous to that drunk who had been on the Bus all night. If he had not shifted his arse when requested he should have been "bounced down the steps" :p

transmanche

Established Member
One thing I didn't understand was why TFL had a Metropolitan Police special squad attached to and funded by them for chasing fare dodgers and other miscreants.

Why not BTP ? - do they only have jurisdiction on The Railways.
One simple reason is that the Mayor has control of both TfL and MPS.

Established Member
AFAIK, BTP are funded by Network Rail and the TOC's.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The MPS's Safer Transport Command don't have anything to do with London's railways, only policing London's road transport (dealing with crime on buses, unlicensed taxis/minicabs, cycle thefts, etc, and smoothing traffic flow on the Transport for London Route Network but are not to be confused with Traffic Operational Command Unit). All over the country, buses are policed by Home Office police forces, not the BTP (although I believe that the BTP have responsibility for policing rail replacement buses).

BTP officers have their police powers nationally on and off the railway (we don't have American-style police "jurisdiction"s), but as transmanche states are not accountable to the Mayor of London (apart from with regards to London Underground and TfL London Rail). The Metropolitan Police, however, are directly accountable to the Mayor of London, and as such he can decide to sponsor additional units

transmanche

Established Member
So are they really "Railway Police" rather than "Transport Police" ?
I'm guessing the name comes from when the various railway forces were amalgamated at the time of nationalisation, under the British Transport Commission - hence British Transport Police?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So are they really "Railway Police" rather than "Transport Police" ?
There is some inconsistency between exactly their jurisdiction, for instance the BTP cover the Tramway in Birmingham but in Manchester it is the responsibility of the local force. Nonetheless, their role does not include buses.

6Gman

Established Member
Is that a historical anachronism ?

Were BTP responsible for some docks in the past?

A bit of research reveals that the BTP was responsible for policing some docks until 1985. Also that until 1984 the BTP policed London's buses! And in 1948 the BTP also took over some canal police forces!

[Mucho surpriso!]

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Luckily, I managed to spot the programme in the tv guide earlier in the week, so I recorded it, ready to be watched. It did strike me as odd last year, when it finished at the 5th episode; I was unsure if I had missed the episode or it hadn't been shown (I even thought perhaps there were only meant to be five episodes).

Status
Not open for further replies.