• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Royal Duchy, today (1/9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Afternoon folks.
Does anyone know which loco is on this today?
I believe it’s either A4 60009, or Duchess 6233.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Sounds interesting! I think 6233 did something near me recently - the one time I couldn't see a railtour, and there were two within around 1 minute of each other in one place!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounds interesting! I think 6233 did something near me recently - the one time I couldn't see a railtour, and there were two within around 1 minute of each other in one place!

-Peter
We’ve been sadly lacking in GWR steam these last few years. 6024 King Edward I was my favourite when it went past. It sounded fantastic accelerating north out of Exeter.
The Duchess should sound good tonight though.
Nice clip here (not mine) of 6024 passing Cowley Bridge.

Peter C

Established Member
We’ve been sadly lacking in GWR steam these last few years. 6024 King Edward I was my favourite when it went past. It sounded fantastic accelerating north out of Exeter.
The Duchess should sound good tonight though.
Nice clip here (not mine) of 6024 passing Cowley Bridge.

Definitely. I haven't seen many of the old GWR locos on railtours recently in my neck of the woods!
I hope 6233 works well and you have a nice time watching it! :)
That King really does sound good....!

-Peter

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Is the King still doing main line trips? I did go several Torbay expresses hauled by that loco, even have the T shirt, although it is a bit tatty now.

Lovely clip above.

Peter C

Established Member
Is the King still doing main line trips? I did go several Torbay expresses hauled by that loco, even have the T shirt, although it is a bit tatty now.
I don't think it is. Didcot have a King, which is 6023 "King Edward II", and is currently at GWSR Toddington. She is in full running order and I think she did a tour of heritage lines in the last months of 2018, and may still be doing so. I haven't seen her running before, and now she is at my local line! I better get down there soon!

-Peter

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
6024 is under overhaul. 6023 is at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway but I think will be leaving soon as it has completed the last booked turns on the line.

Peter C

Established Member
6024 is under overhaul. 6023 is at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire railway but I think will be leaving soon as it has completed the last booked turns on the line.
Interesting, thanks very much. I can easily see the King at Didcot anyway. But that's off-topic.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s unfortunate that 6023 hasn’t had a chance to do any mainline work, and I’ve not managed to catch it on any of the lines it’s worked on. I’d be interested to see how it compares with a double chimney one.

Status
Not open for further replies.