• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The sharpest curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Back in 2015, and previously, there was discussion about this but no settled answer.

I assume UK has a curves and gradients book or these days various online pages to which staff refer.

What is the sharpest curve on a (a) main line regularly used by scheduled passenger trains and (b) branch line in (c) England (d) Scotland or (e) Wales.

What speed limit applies round each?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Two lines (historically) spring to mind:
Passenger - the Weymouth Quay branch
Freight - the Gotham Curve on the Cromford & High Peak

Not sure about the present-day scene though.

Ken H

On Moderation
Isnt the Bradford - Bingley platform line at Shipley one of the tightest?

sjm77

What about the South side of High Level Bridge in Gateshead? Or between Coombe Jan and Liskeard

aliceh

The sharpest one I can think of is between Southampton Tunnel and Northam, but I suspect that pales in comparison to others

The one that springs to mind for me is at Dinting on the curve round towards Glossop.

Mike99

How about the curve into Accrington Station heading towards Blackburn and obviously the other direction.

Peter0124

Established Member
My suggestions for Scotland would be Rutherglen, Edinburgh end of Carstairs triangle and the buffer end of Gourock Platform 1 and 2.

Challenge me if I'm wrong.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
The curve coming off the Vale of Glamorgan line at Barry Town station on to and then continuing along the Barry Island branch?
Flange squeal can be very bad if the flange greasers aren't working properly.

DoubleO

Crimple Curve is 20mph and approached on a rising gradient from Leeds. When I learned it I was advised to slow to 15mph and power gently through the curve as the check rail could 'pinch' the wheel flange and slow the train down. No idea if it was an old wive's tale but it's certainly a very tight curve.

Metal_gee_man

The curve at Dover Harbour on the Dover to Folkestone line, trains crawl through at 15mph it's made easier with them being 20m long coaches but 12 car 375s or 395s certainly squeal through there

ricoblade

The curve from Retford high level down to the Worksop line is pretty sharp, made the Pacer I was on last time I experienced it squeal!

najaB

Veteran Member
The curve from Retford high level down to the Worksop line is pretty sharp, made the Pacer I was on last time I experienced it squeal!
Speaking of which, the curve from the WCML to Lockstock Hall and onwards to Preston is pretty sharp, maybe not the sharpest but pretty long and noisy on a Pacer!

snowball

Established Member
How about the curve at Newton le Willows that connects line from Warrington to Liverpool line ?
I think you mean at Earlestown station. The south-to-east and south-to-west curves there are both extremely tight, with the former being perhaps a bit tighter, to judge from the OS 1:25k map.

M&NEJ

The curve between Carnforth station and the ex- Furness & Midland route (to Wennington and Skipton) is long and sharp. I don't know the speed limit but it was certainly a "squealer" when pacers provided the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.