• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The tube at a standstill: why TfL stopped people walking up the escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.

StateOfPlay

A trial running at Holborn Station to see if it speeds up commuters to have them standing on both sides rather than just the right hand side to allow other commuters to speed up/down.

I suppose it should do as it will in effect be taking nearly double the workload in terms of passenger numbers, rather than a big queue forming at the bottom waiting to get on to the right hand side.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ding-only-escalators-at-holborn-a6748586.html

Everybody knows the tube etiquette that escalator passengers must stand on the right, leaving the left-hand side free for walkers. But now Transport for London has started a commuter revolution by telling passengers to stand on both sides in a bold bid to ease congestion.

Rush-hour passengers at Holborn station found themselves greeted by staff members with megaphones, stationed at the bottom of one of the up escalators, ordering them to stand on both sides.

The most useful London Underground hack you will ever need
Station managers believe that instructing people not to walk up the escalators will have the result of smoothing the flow of people out of the station, which serves 56m passengers each year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

keppoch69

On Moderation
Could the machine's not be run a bit faster, and the user to hold on with both hands? Wheeeeeeeee. The best thrill some users of transport within London may get all day/week:p

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not really new, or news; they were encouraging customers to stand on either side of the escalator at Victoria when they were replacing one of the escalators the other year. And at Hyde Park Corner during 'Winter Wonderland' staff on weekends have been encouraging customers to stand on either side for at least the past four years.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's going to take some considerable re-training of passengers as in London it seem that the vast majority of people follow the system.

StateOfPlay

Could the machine's not be run a bit faster, and the user to hold on with both hands? Wheeeeeeeee. The best thrill some users of transport within London may get all day/week:p

Hahahaha the number of casualties would bankrupt the NHS!

westv

Established Member
Can always rely on officialdom to interfere with something that works perfectly well as it is.

Established Member

Try using the Moscow or Kiev metro, those escalators don't hang about.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Personally, I think the right hand side should be for walkers, and the left hand side for quicker walkers. no standing!

Only today I was 'undertaken' on the down escalator to the Jubilee at London Bridge today. I was going at a fair lick myself on the left side, when a woman went steaming past on the right. We still go the same tube though :lol:

keppoch69

On Moderation
Personally, I think the right hand side should be for walkers, and the left hand side for quicker walkers. no standing!

Only today I was 'undertaken' on the down escalator to the Jubilee at London Bridge today. I was going at a fair lick myself on the left side, when a woman went steaming past on the right. We still go the same tube though :lol:
I have not visited London for many years:oops: After reading Rick, I wonder if our transport service is turning into a two(2) speed, public transport system in this country? For those who "need" High-Speed" fan-dabby-dosey speeds akin to warp/orgasm drive, and the rest of us who are quite happy with what today is our regular speed lines, who walk moderately to slow and want to be able to "breath" within the stations?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One thing I have noticed is that tunnels are "keep left", which means that people walk more slowly on the left and overtake on the right, which is reversed on reaching an escalator. My suggestion would be that one or other of those should be reversed such that the "overtaking" side of the tunnel aligns with the "walk" side of the escalator.

I wouldn't like to see the rule removed as it allows one to proceed more quickly if one feels the need to do so. I sometimes walk and sometimes stand depending on how urgent my journey is.

Wolfie

Established Member

I know (or at least strongly suspect!) that this is actually intended to be at least partly tongue in cheek but have to say that any such proposal wouldn't work too well for the old, infirm, those with kids etc etc...

One thing I have noticed is that tunnels are "keep left", which means that people walk more slowly on the left and overtake on the right, which is reversed on reaching an escalator. My suggestion would be that one or other of those should be reversed such that the "overtaking" side of the tunnel aligns with the "walk" side of the escalator.

I wouldn't like to see the rule removed as it allows one to proceed more quickly if one feels the need to do so. I sometimes walk and sometimes stand depending on how urgent my journey is.

While MOST walkways etc (I assume that is what you mean by tunnels, as opposed to the actual track) are "keep left" that is far from universally the case.

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Yes, I do wish people would observe the "Keep Left" signs in passageways in tube stations.

(Are you listening, those who get off the Victoria and Piccadilly lines at Kings Cross and walk down the long passageway to the Northern ticket hall, and are in such a hurry that you don't notice me coming the other way)<(

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Can always rely on officialdom to interfere with something that works perfectly well as it is.

Trouble is, it doesn't work perfectly well, because you get people marching up the escalator and coming to a crunching halt at the top by the barriers.

That said, this ends up happening at really busy times anyway, the escalators down to the Bank Branch at Euston are always stood still on both sides

Phil.

Established Member

That's what was done on the Moscow metro during the 1980 Olympics. I believe that the higher speeds were kept after that.

talltim

Established Member
That's what was done on the Moscow metro during the 1980 Olympics. I believe that the higher speeds were kept after that.

Its the doping that allows them to cope with the high speed escalators <D

rebmcr

Established Member
I think having all-standing on the Up escalators may possibly be a good thing, but on the Downs the walking lane is much better-used and should definitely stay.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What about some lateral thinking? All STANDING should be verboten, a few well-placed baton strikes on the ankles (with alsatian back-up) would be sufficient to solve the problem!

robbeech

Established Member
I read this in the Evening Standard yesterday. Seems an interesting concept. I actually find that sometimes you can walk up the left and then slot into a space where someone has left 4 steps if you get fed up of walking, very much like using the right hand lane at a set of traffic lights.

Cletus

Established Member
Yes, I do wish people would observe the "Keep Left" signs in passageways in tube stations.

(Are you listening, those who get off the Victoria and Piccadilly lines at Kings Cross and walk down the long passageway to the Northern ticket hall, and are in such a hurry that you don't notice me coming the other way)<(

Most of the signs especially at Kings Cross are too small really.

StateOfPlay

That's probably a good thing as most of the signs send you on a massive detour anyway!

Yeah, when you get off at kGX on the northbound Victoria Line, you go left and you get to the ticket hall at the top of the escalators and then turn right to the trains. But if you go right and follow the signs out from the same platform it sends you on a hike around the station.

me123

Established Member
Nooo! The tourists win again!

Don't look at me! The current system works really well, very simple and clearly ingrained in the minds of Londoners. More importantly, as a visitor I think the de facto system on the underground is very intuitive.

southern442

Established Member
Don't look at me! The current system works really well, very simple and clearly ingrained in the minds of Londoners. More importantly, as a visitor I think the de facto system on the underground is very intuitive.

Luckily for you, British citizens of any kind don't count as your stereotypical tourist in my eyes :lol:

miami

Established Member

Embarrasing when you turn up to somewhere like Singapore, where the rule is stand on the left, walk on the right. Spen aobut 8 weeks there this year, still couldn't get it un-engrained :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.