The two attempt rule

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Greaseball3220, 22 Aug 2019.

1. Greaseball3220

Greaseball3220 Member

Does anybody have any contact details for the OPC? Just want to clarify the following.

Stage 1 - Fail in 2013
    Stage 1 - OPC Pass in 2014 (but not to TOC 'enhanced level')
    Stage 2 - Fail in 2016 (TOC in question accepted the Stage 1 pass from 2014)

Do I get another shot at Stage 2 dependent on a TOC accepting the Stage 1 from 2014 or am I wiped out?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless Member

If you failed to reach the national standard in 2016 then I'm afraid you have used up your 2 lives

4. Teddyward

Teddyward Member

You can potentially do it again. The tests changed in September 2013 and there was talk that all previous fails were written off. I would ask opc for clarification.

5. Dynamonic

Dynamonic Member

Unfortunately, as MostlyHarmless has said, you are not allowed to fail any aspect of the current OPC Driver assessments twice. Sadly, when you failed Stage 1 in 2013, you were left with only one attempt left to take both Stages 1 and 2. (Unless your first Stage 1 was under the old recruitment system like Teddyward said, which saw everyones' lives reset since)

6. theking

theking Member

What tests did you do in 2013 if it's the same tests as 2016 then you are out.

7. Greaseball3220

Greaseball3220 Member

Group Bourdon which they failed me on, Tea-Occ as far as I remember. Done again a year later to OPC but not TOC standard.

8. whistler2018

whistler2018 Member

https://www.theopc.co.uk/contact/

I failed the MMI in Jan/Feb 2013, I can't remember which and I'm not sure which month/year they changed. Resat the 'new' tests in 2017 and passed. I was told by my TOC at the time of resitting that I would have 2 attempts if needed and my 'lives' had effectively been re-set because the tests had changed, which I wasn't even aware of... If you passed in 2014 and failed stage 2 in 2016 I would suggest you have one attempt remaining. Use the link above to contact the OPC, though, they'll clarify.

Edit: Having read the previous replies I see the tests changed in Sep 2013. If you sat them after that then you I'm afraid you will have used your two lives.

Hope this helps

9. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Indeed. There’s no possibly about it though. If the tests in 2013 were before they were renewed, said results would be written off and your lives renewed.

In this case, it looks like there’s only one fail if I’m reading it right and the 2013 ones don’t count depending on when they were taken.

10. Rich.16

Rich.16 Member

Can anyone clarify if you pass all actual tests but fail your MMI how many times can you reapply? Or does the MMI only have two chances aswell?

11. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

MMI is two chances too. It’s part of the psychometric tests.

12. Westcoast-ting

Westcoast-ting Member

Sorry to add more confusion but I think you rule is you can’t fail one element more than twice.

So if in 2013 you failed the group Bourdon then as long as you fail another element other than the group bourdon you get to go again.

My reasoning is that I failed a cbi and asked opc if a life was gone and they said only with people who want cbi, anybody who wants mmi I was still 2 life’s with.

13. Rich.16

Rich.16 Member

Thanks hope i pass first time then lol

14. Jon1930

Jon1930 Member

That is incorrect information, its quite simple if you fail any part of the assessment stage including mmi it's a life gone. I failed the mmi in 2013 but passed in 2016, unfortunately I failed the driver interview. In 2018 I applied again but 5 years in 2 months had passed so i had to do stage 1 and 2 again, when i was at watford for stage 2 the assessor did say to me that my mmi was still valid but
    if you were to fail any of the tests today that's your 2 lives gone. I managed to pass and I'm now a trainee train driver.

QUOTE="Westcoast-ting, post: 4167381, member: 58845"]Sorry to add more confusion but I think you rule is you can’t fail one element more than twice.

So if in 2013 you failed the group Bourdon then as long as you fail another element other than the group bourdon you get to go again.

My reasoning is that I failed a cbi and asked opc if a life was gone and they said only with people who want cbi, anybody who wants mmi I was still 2 life’s with.[/QUOTE]