• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Two-Coach Voyager

Doomotron

I am aware that for a while one Voyager (a 221 I think) was kept in a two-coach formation as all of its centre coaches had been donated to other units. I have three questions regarding this formation. First of all, could it run? If it could, were there any limitations such as a reduced top speed? And finally, could it have theoretically been used in passenger service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I am aware that for a while one Voyager (a 221 I think) was kept in a two-coach formation as all of its centre coaches had been donated to other units. I have three questions regarding this formation. First of all, could it run? If it could, were there any limitations such as a reduced top speed? And finally, could it have theoretically been used in passenger service?
No, moot point and no essentially.

1 - because it would lack some of the equipment, only on the other vehicles, to run.
2 - moot because of 1
3 - simply no, because of 1 and 2

It could be hauled around at low speed, but not run in passenger service.

spyinthesky

No, moot point and no essentially.

1 - because it would lack some of the equipment, only on the other vehicles, to run.
2 - moot because of 1
3 - simply no, because of 1 and 2

It could be hauled around at low speed, but not run in passenger service.
That looks like it ticks all 3 boxes for the next generation XC service.

dubscottie

It couldn't run. It was hauled by a 57/3. I can recall from the Railway press at the time, that it spent several weeks in a bay platform in Crewe to train staff.

Doomotron

Thanks for the help. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical side of Voyagers so I wondered if they were closer to other DMU types which can be reformed in much more flexible ways. What sort of equipment did the 2-coach unit lack that would prevent it from being driven? The only thing I can really think of would be the compressor but I'm not sure if that's relevant for this.

westcoaster

Established Member
Thanks for the help. I'm not that knowledgeable about the technical side of Voyagers so I wondered if they were closer to other DMU types which can be reformed in much more flexible ways. What sort of equipment did the 2-coach unit lack that would prevent it from being driven? The only thing I can really think of would be the compressor but I'm not sure if that's relevant for this.
If I remember rightly from the previous postings, was it the compressor?

Nym

Established Member
Compressor is the key bit of equipment on Voyagers, but there's other less well known bits too, not within my current knowledge to know what they are any more, not worked on Voyager in a loooong time.

najaB

Veteran Member
Compressor is the key bit of equipment on Voyagers, but there's other less well known bits too, not within my current knowledge to know what they are any more, not worked on Voyager in a loooong time.
Doesn't the brain of the TMS (train management system) live in one of the coaches?