• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Ultimate lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT Driver

A 16-year-old girl died after falling under a train while she was running alongside it on the platform of a station in West Sussex.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/8374484.stm

Very sad & unfortunate, I feel that this story really should be used to reiterate to the general public that station platforms are NOT playgrounds & you shouldn't chase after a train whilst waving a friend off..

Because this could be the consequence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir_Clagalot

I always cringe when someone runs alongside my train as it's pulling out of a station, I am just waiting for it to happen. Mind, my finger is usually on the signal button as we pull INTO stations as anything can happen and seconds can make a difference.
Obviously condolences to the girl's family and friends.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Why do people feel the need to chase after trains waving at friends/family? I've seen idiots slip, run into structures/other people and to top it off they look like idiots. Unfortunately this time it's had severe consequences for which condolences are due.

Sir_Clagalot

I must admit that I have a warped sense of humour, and seeing someone run smack into a column would have me in fits of laughter!!

snuk

I remember clearly as a child whenever we travelled anywhere by train we were constantly reminded about the dangerous gap between the train and the platform, I guess you could say it was "drummed" into us, and quite rightly.

As a result to this day, even if the guard/train manager doesn't remind passengers "to mind the gap" when leaving the train it is always the first thing that I think about when boarding or disembarking any train, I think it's instinctive.

My thoughts and deepest condolences are with Miss Moore's family and friends.

Steve.

The_Stig

I also think that people who stand on the last slab at the edge of the platform whilst a train is pulling in should be rounded up and forced to get the next train.

Making them late would sort it.

Idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.