• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The Volvo B55 Ailsa - Origins/Development, Service History & Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanny200

The one thing that always struck me, every main SBG fleet had Ailsa's at one point, new or secondhand, all bar 1 of Scotland's cities had Ailsa's running. Neither of Aberdeen's main companies, Northern or Grampian had Ailsa's either new or secondhand apart from the time a demonstrator in Midland colours in 1974 visited(on trial I think to Grampian).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jammy36

Bit of a strange request here but I don't think I've ever seen a picture or even a diagram of an Ailsa chassis - can anyone help me out please?
To compliment the chassis diagram already provided by @JModulo here's an alternative isometric image from Volvo publicity materialScreenshot_20210222-193317-860.png

ClydeCoaster

My local operator A1 Service of Ardrossan was a keen operator, possibly because its trunk route passed by the gates of the factory in Irvine. Several owners bought both new and second hand examples, with 11 new (9 with Alexander AV and 2 Van Hool McArdle) and 20 used Alexander AV examples. The used ones came from Maidstone & District (5), Tayside (11) and London Buses' Harrow division (4) which originated with WMPTE. The Tayside examples were all dual door as were the Van Hool examples and 1 new AV example.

Living just off a local route you could hear the Ailsas approaching and departing, and I remember it was the only type in the fleet you could hear from that distance! Especially the distinctive howl when the foot came off the accelerator. I remember as a child the back row downstairs was a very bouncy place to be and remember the divider between driver and boarding passenger being more like an intimidating big wall as a wee kid rather than the usual driver door!

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member

PG

Established Member
The CMB tri-axle Ailsas (AL1/2) have been mentioned a few times upthread; here they are within their 1st year of service (both images part of the Mega Anorak Flickr collection).

I'm curious how come AL1 has 20 extra seats downstairs? Also I assume it's a HK convention to have the side indicators at the between decks level rather than lower down as per the UK practice. One other thing, the cab signalling window on AL2 drivers door seems out of line with the other signalling window, unsure why that would be?

busesrusuk

I'm curious how come AL1 has 20 extra seats downstairs? Also I assume it's a HK convention to have the side indicators at the between decks level rather than lower down as per the UK practice. One other thing, the cab signalling window on AL2 drivers door seems out of line with the other signalling window, unsure why that would be?
I think that's a typo. According to the Mike Davis, China Motor Bus book both had the same capacity of H74/27D plus 69 standing. The high upper deck capacity is due to the fitment of 3+2 seating. The lower deck had 2+2 seating.

PG

Established Member
I think that's a typo. According to the Mike Davis, China Motor Bus book both had the same capacity of H74/27D plus 69 standing. The high upper deck capacity is due to the fitment of 3+2 seating. The lower deck had 2+2 seating.
Ah thanks, I did wonder if one of them was wrong but wasn't sure seeing as how both pictures were by the same person.
EDIT: That's a pretty impressive standing capacity! Were they all on the lower deck like UK practice or does HK allow standees upstairs as well?

Strathclyder

Established Member
This pic of AL1 by Mega Anorak has the correct lower-deck capacity figure, so yeah, most likely just a typo on the above linked image. Note the KMB Leyland Victory Mk.2 on the right.

Mugby

Established Member
What has happened to the factory in Irvine since Ailsa production finished?

PG

Established Member
This pic of AL1 by Mega Anorak has the correct lower-deck capacity figure, so yeah, most likely just a typo on the above linked image. Note the KMB Leyland Victory Mk.2 on the right.

When seen on an Ailsa, its striking how similar the CMB livery is to Tayside colours!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I assume it was kept on by Volvo for the assembly of trucks. It certainly restarted the production of buses when the B6R was introduced, and Olympian production was moved to Irvine after the closure of Workington.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It moved onto producing Volvo trucks as @GusB notes above, but bus production restarted in the 90s with the B6, the 'classic' Olympian with Workington's closure and, latterly, the B10TL Super Olympian for export only. This was only a brief reprive, as it was closed altogether in June 2000, with B10TL production moving to Wroclaw, Poland. Am not a Irvine local, so I don't know for certain what happened to the factory after Volvo exited stage right.

When seen on an Ailsa, its striking how similar the CMB livery is to Tayside colours!
Aye. Just swap the cream out for white and use a darker shade of blue and you have the exact same colour palette. ;) CMB's livery is closest to WMPTE's livery (as carried by 4527 & 4738). For me anyway, the definitive Ailsa livery is SPTE/SBL Orange/Black (linked images by Donald McRae). For me, it's appeal comes from how distinctive it is and how quintessentially Glaswegian it is in spirit: bold and outspoken. Others from outwith Glasgow may find it a bit too in-your-face and brash, and I can see why. But personally, it's firmly within my 'top 5 bus liveries' list.

Last edited:

JModulo

As others have said it was used by Volvo for B6/Olympian production - nowadays, and has been for sometime, it is a large open space still up for sale.

Volvo142

My local operator A1 Service of Ardrossan was a keen operator, possibly because its trunk route passed by the gates of the factory in Irvine. Several owners bought both new and second hand examples, with 11 new (9 with Alexander AV and 2 Van Hool McArdle) and 20 used Alexander AV examples. The used ones came from Maidstone & District (5), Tayside (11) and London Buses' Harrow division (4) which originated with WMPTE. The Tayside examples were all dual door as were the Van Hool examples and 1 new AV example.

Living just off a local route you could hear the Ailsas approaching and departing, and I remember it was the only type in the fleet you could hear from that distance! Especially the distinctive howl when the foot came off the accelerator. I remember as a child the back row downstairs was a very bouncy place to be and remember the divider between driver and boarding passenger being more like an intimidating big wall as a wee kid rather than the usual driver door!
That "intimidating big wall" was actually the engine housing!

Strathclyder

Established Member
The one thing that always struck me, every main SBG fleet had Ailsa's at one point, new or secondhand, all bar 1 of Scotland's cities had Ailsa's running. Neither of Aberdeen's main companies, Northern or Grampian had Ailsa's either new or secondhand apart from the time a demonstrator in Midland colours in 1974 visited(on trial I think to Grampian).
Ailsa demonstrator THS 273M at Grampian's King Street depot - March 1974 (from the William Walker Flickr collection).

On the subject of 273, it spent a brief period over in Dublin with CIÉ on trial in April/May 1974 when a mere 2 months old (photo from the David O'Connor Flickr collection; originally taken by Michael Dryhurst). Set something of a precident for the Metrobus that spent a period in Dublin on demo duties in the 80s.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
It moved onto producing Volvo trucks as @GusB notes above, but bus production restarted in the 90s with the B6, the 'classic' Olympian with Workington's closure and, latterly, the B10TL Super Olympian for export only. This was only a brief reprive, as it was closed altogether in June 2000, with B10TL production moving to Wroclaw, Poland. Am not a Irvine local, so I don't know for certain what happened to the factory after Volvo exited stage right.

Aye. Just swap the cream out for white and use a darker shade of blue and you have the exact same colour palette. ;) CMB's livery is closest to WMPTE's livery (as carried by 4527 & 4738). For me anyway, the definitive Ailsa livery is SPTE/SBL Orange/Black (linked images by Donald McRae). For me, it's appeal comes from how distinctive it is and how quintessentially Glaswegian it is in spirit: bold and outspoken. Others from outwith Glasgow may find it a bit too in-your-face and brash, and I can see why. But personally, it's firmly within my 'top 5 bus liveries' list.

The first B7TLs were also built in Irvine

Strathclyder

Established Member
The first B7TLs were also built in Irvine
Oh aye, so they were. Can't have been too many of them built there, given bus production as a whole at Irvine was winding down when the B7TL was being introduced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.